Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 9 of 108
11 January 2012 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
¡Ay de mi! He olvidado más palabras del idioma español, ojála que recuerde algunas estructuras gramáticas. Escuché el radio sino entender pequeño.

As I suspected, my Spanish has declined considerably. Hmmm.... Maybe I really do prefer Germanic languages or I am just too lazy to focus on reviving and improving my skills in Spanish. Oh well, at least I haven't forgotten everything I knew.

Buenas noches
Mick
In my last log I wrote that my Spanish has become quite rusty, and needed to be revived; only then could I eventually bring Spanish to an advanced level. Well, it's one thing to write about that and another thing to actually do it. First, I practiced pronunciation and noticed that I aspirate consonants in Spanish a lot, just as I do with Finnish. Other than that my pronunciation is ok, I hope. Vocabulary is another matter, I had to search for my wordlists and review them and thus there ws no translation or scriptorium for Spanish on Tuesday, but there will be on Thursday.

Afrikaans grammar concerns me now, I'm not as confident about word order as I used to be. Pronunciation is alright, and I remember more words than I would expect, but I still relied on my wordlists more than I like, but I think of Afrikaans as being like an old friend; we just need to get reacquainted with each other then things will be easy.

For Finnish and Polish I just listened to the spoken languages (online radio is a glorious invention) and figure I can review what I knew about Finnish grammar on Thursday.

Hyvää yöta
1 person has voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5129 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 10 of 108
11 January 2012 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Which language is your strongest? Which language do you feel most comfortable using in a social setting? Do you have any plans to visit the countries of all of your languages? With your collection you could do a pretty decent world tour!

mick33
United States
Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 11 of 108
11 January 2012 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
English is still my strongest language by a very, very large margin. Afrikaans and Spanish were in a close battle for second place in 2010 but Swedish has pushed them back to third or fourth place, although my Swedish is probably straddling a line between beginner and intermediate level. Finnish and Italian could maybe be at mid beginner level, by that I mean I can't say or write much and what I can say or write takes forever to think up first and is riddled with mistakes. Polish and Thai are at very low beginner level, at this point I can't say anything that doesn't sound like gibberish.

The only language I could sort of use in a social setting is Spanish, but the conversation would be very brief and unfortunately the Spanish speakers where I live tend to keep to themselves mostly. Afrikaans and Swedish aren't spoken here as far as I know but maybe I can get Afrikaans back to a level where I could sort of socialize with people. The others are not at a level where I can converse yet.

As for a world tour, not yet. One of my future goals is to travel the world and speak the languages I am learning, but it can't happen until at least 2013.

Edited by mick33 on 12 January 2012 at 9:54pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 12 of 108
17 January 2012 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Was my five day absence proof that I am trying to learn to many languages at once? No, it was because I've been looking for interesting things to read in Afrikaans and Spanish. For Spanish I was successful, I found what I believe is the entire text of the Popol Vuh translated into Spanish, as well as articles about Ciudad Juárez, (I can't find the links to the websites right now, or I could list them) a Mexican city that has recently been plagued by a shockingly high murder rate in recent years and where some of the criminals are known to pray to something called Santa Muerte. The stories about Ciudad Juárez were interesting although very sad and hopefully I can find happier things to read about this week. In Afrikaans I can't find very many things to read that can hold my attention, I know I've already mentioned Bible translations but I also want other things to read as I can't rely on Bible verses alone to help me revive this language.

Since my last message here I also spent a bit of time listening to spoken Thai and I have discovered some strange things. I still hear three tones instead of five and I can't tell yet if the "r" sound in Thai is supposed to be rolled or not,sometimes it sounds rolled and sometimes it sounds similar to an English alveolar "r". I'm not sure I am hearing this language properly yet although I have figured out that สวัสดีครับ (sounds like saw watt dee crop to me) is a greeting. I am also slowly but surely learning to recognize a few of the Thai letters when I see them written down. I cannot actually read Thai or write more than a few simple things, but at this point I do not expect to.

buenas noches
goeie nag
ราตรีสวัสดิ์ (to my ears it sounds like raw-dtree saw watt)
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 20 January 2012 at 9:06am

mick33
United States
Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 13 of 108
18 January 2012 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
You may have noticed that 2012 is not off to a rousing start. The month of January, just like December, is often a weird month for me and it takes me a while to get into a language learning rhythm. Since I have already mixed up my days, according to my study schedule, and written about Spanish, Afrikaans and Thai yesterday so...

Italiano
Ho letto della mafia siciliana o cosa nostra e anche della 'ndrangheta o l'onorata società. Queste organizzazioni è interessante poiché sono imparare la psicologia anche se non approvo di loro.

I have read about Cosa Nostra and 'ndrangheta. These organizations are interesting because I study psychology but I disapprove of organized crime.

Svenska
Jag har började att översätta en ny låt, men översättningen är oavslutad. Kanske kunde jag avsluta det imorgon.

Finnish grammar still needs more review and I am re-reading some of my old messages from my first log and sometimes relearning things as well. Learning Finnish grammar, the way I do it, also requires learning (or relearning) vocabulary so I'm doing that too.

Polish almost lost out but I am learning more vocabulary than grammar right now.

Vi ses senare
buonanotte
Mick     

Edited by mick33 on 03 February 2012 at 9:27am

mick33
United States
Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 14 of 108
20 January 2012 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
Fa brutto tempo. Avantieri abbiamo avuto quindici centimetri di nive e grandina. C'e vento freddo anche. Ieri ho letto della lingua siciliana e la storia della Sicilia, in paticolare dei vespri siciliani. Non ho capito molto.

Sogni d'oro
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 22 October 2012 at 10:09pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 15 of 108
26 January 2012 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
Ek moet my skedule verander. Ja, my lesers mag na my sê toe "Mick, Hoekom sal jy nou die skedule verander? Die eerste 6WC sal in februarie begin". My oorspronklik skedule gee net vyf-en-veertig minute elke M-W-F om die thai taal te leer. Vyf-en-veertig minute elke M-W-F is nie genoegsaam tyd vir my om thai te leer nie. Is iedereen verbaas dat ek nie die thai klanke kan hoor nie? Nee. Ek hoef gevolglik leer die thai taal vir vyf-en-veertig minute elke dag, en die pools taal sal totdat April of die Mei 6WC kan wag. Ek sal nie pools ignoreer nie, dit sal nou my wanderlust taal word dus sal ek nie nou na hierdie taal fokusseer nie.

Ek het in 'n vroeër boodskappie geskreve dat ek geen interessante dinge om afrikaans te lees kan vind nie en dit is steeds 'n probleem. Ek is onseker hoe om hierdie situasie te verbeter maar ek kan in afrikaans skryf.

Ek het vandaag geen spaanse taal egter gelees nog geluister nie, omdat ek meer gesproke thai wil luister. In spaanse taal is daar inderdaad baie interessant dinge om te lees maar ek moet eerste spaans lees dan sal ek dit skryf.

Finse taal? Hierdie taal sal tot saterdag kan wag. Vanaand sal ek na my broer se huis vir aandete gaan.

45 minutes every M-W-F is not enough time to learn Thai, so I changed my schedule. I will now learn Thai for 45 minutes every day. I decided I couldn't wait for February to make this change, as I still don't hear the Thai sounds well. Polish will have to wait until April or May and for now it can be my wanderlust language.

I have already written that I have difficulty finding interesting things to read in Afrikaans and this problem remains. Right now I don't know what to do about this, other than to write in Afrikaans.

I haven't read or listened to Spanish yet today, because I wanted to listen to spoken Thai. There are many interesting to read in Spanish but I have to read them first, then I will write in Spanish.

Finnish? It can wait until Saturday. I'm going to my brother's house for dinner tonight.

Lekker bly
Mick

EDIT: Ek het 'n paar korreksies gemaak.   

Edited by mick33 on 02 February 2012 at 10:31pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 16 of 108
03 February 2012 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
¡Es fantastico! He pensado escribir más mensajes la semana pasada, pero estuve aprendido tantas cosas que yo no haya encontrado ningún tiempo para escribir nada aquì. Desde lunés leìa la Biblia en español todoas las dìas. Creo ésta actividad mejore mi español escrito. Es seguro que sepa más nuevas palabras ahora, pero es posible que revise la sintaxis.      

Ayer comenzaba el 6WC. Por el "6WC" estaré centrar al idioma finlandés, pero estaré aprender otro idiomas también.¿Cuáles idiomas? Tengo que dar las dos respuestas. La primara pespuesta es que ojalá que encuentre alguno tiempo por todos los idiomas que quiera aprender, pero naturalmente éste es difìcil. La segunda respuesta es más realista: Pensaré aprender tailandés, Italiano, afrikáans y español también.

He revisado la pronunciación y la ortografía del idioma finlandés. La ortografía es usualmente muy facíl pero algunos diptongos es bastante difícil de pronuncionar; por ejemplo, no pronuncio jamás bien los diptongos "öy", "äy", o "yi".

Hasta luego
Buenas noches
Mick

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version