Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 17 of 108
07 February 2012 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
He revisado la pronunciación y la ortografía del idioma finlandés. La ortografía es usualmente muy facíl pero algunos diptongos es bastante difícil de pronuncionar; por ejemplo, no pronuncio jamás bien los diptongos "öy", "äy", o "yi".
I am happy that I was wrong about Finnish pronunciation. I should've known that all I needed was a brief review and then more consistent exposure to Finnish to improve my pronunciation of the diphthongs I complained about above. As part of the review I've been reading up on the IPA for Finnish here and here, (I'm glad I learned a little bit of IPA, it really is helpful) as well as listening and singing along to songs by my favorite Finnish singers Lauri Tähkä and Herra Ylppö. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Lauri Tähkä sings in a Western Finnish dialect, but I think hearing a few different dialects is a good thing; after all people do not always speak the standardized languages.

I have also been rereading my first TAC log so that I could find my post on consonant gradation which is another feature of Finnish I need to relearn.

Näkemiin
Mick

EDIT: More English typing errors to correct. Hmm...Could this be a sign that learning so many languages is interfering with my English? I hope so, and I also hope it is a sign of progress toward becoming multilingual.

Edited by mick33 on 07 February 2012 at 8:40pm

1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 18 of 108
07 February 2012 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
Ek het na my laaste boodskappie geskryf dat ek my eerste TAC journaal het gelees. Ek het alreeds my konsonantgradasie boodskap gewaag maar daar was ook ander redes dat ek my oud journaal het gelees. Die eerste rede was om myself te herinner dat ek inderdaad taalstudeer geniet omdat dit 'n plesier kan wees (of word?). Somtyds dink ek taalleer kan 'n loswerkie word maar in my eerste TAC journaal was my taalleer dikwels meer pret. Hoekom ek wou hierdie wenk nood? Ek het geen uitdruklik antwoord nie en miskien dit sal kom nie daarop aan nie. Ek wonder of miskien die waarheid is dat ek somtyds te selfvoldaan, gemaksugtig of lui kan word. Ek is seker ek kan nie vandag gemaksugtig of lui wees nie. Ek het vandag sommige nuwe afrikaans woordeskat en grammatika geleer en ek het ook na gesproken thai en fins geluister. Ek het klaar geskryf dat dit kom nie daarop aan nie dus sal ek nie oor dit nog een gedagte gee nie.

Ek sal nou italiaans uitspraak oefen.

Yesterday I wrote that I had been reading my first TAC log again. I already mentioned my post about consonant gradation but there were also other reasons for reading my old log again. The first reason is that I wanted to remind myself that language learning is enjoyable. Sometimes language learning can seem like a chore but I didn't usually think so when I wrote my first log. I don't really know why I would need to be reminded of this, maybe I am too complacent or lazy. I don't really have a good answer and maybe it doesn't matter. I am sure I am not lazy today, I have learned some new Afrikaans vocabulary and grammar and I have also listened to some spoken Thai and Finnish.

Now I will practice Italian pronunciation.

Lekker dag
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 24 June 2012 at 9:34am

mick33
United States
Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 19 of 108
10 February 2012 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
Ek sal nou italiaans uitspraak oefen. Now I will practice Italian pronunciation.
Vive le mie sete insaziabile dei linguaggi! Ho letto ieri dell' eruzione vulcanica dell' Etna. Anche ho imparato della grammatica polacca e devo ammettere è molto difficile ma anche abbastanza intrigante. Naturalmente non avevo trascuato la lingua finlandese, in realtà ho tradotto una canzione con inglese ma sàro scrivere la mia traduzione domani.
Ho sonno e vado a letto.

buonanotte e sogni d'oro
Mick

mick33
United States
Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 20 of 108
16 February 2012 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
Naturalmente non avevo trascuato la lingua finlandese, in realtà ho tradotto una canzione con inglese ma sàro scrivere la mia traduzione domani.
Forse non abbia dimenticato la lingua finlandese, ma non avevo né cominciato né finire la mia traduzione.

Come spesso accade, ho imparato la lingua Italiano. Ho letto delle cucine regionali d'Italia ieri e oggi. Soprattutto, ho letto delle cucine calabrese e veneziana. La cucina della calabria consiste dei piatti come    
frittole, cinghiale alla calabrese, morzeddhu alla catanzarisi e anche moltri altri piatti. La cucina veneziana consiste dei cibi come Fegato alla veneziana, risi e bisi e frittata di radicchio.
Ho fame. Voglio mangiare adesso.

NB. The English portion below isn't quite an exact translation, I added a little more to the English part, there were things I can't write yet in Italian or forgot about.

I wrote in my last post that I planned to translate a Finnish song, but I didn't even start it.

I decided instead that I wanted to read about Italian regional cuisine. I was especially interested in the regional cuisines of Calabria and Venice. In Calabria, there are dishes like frittole, cinghiale alla calabrese and morzeddhu. I think morzeddhu is an example of Calabrian spelling, but I didn't look for any alternate spellings, so I don't know for certain. Some examples of Venetian cuisine that I would love to taste are fegato alla veneziana, risi e bisi, and frittata di radicchio.
After looking at these wonderful recipes I am very hungry and want to eat something now. I cannot prepare any of these fabulous dishes today. I don't have the foods I would need, but I hope to try all of these recipes very soon.

Buon appetito
arrivederci
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 16 February 2012 at 11:17pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 21 of 108
24 February 2012 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
What an odd week. Monday was a holiday and until Thursday I didn't learn any languages at all because I just didn't feel like it. I don't know why I didn't feel like it, this was an unplanned break. Oh well, an occasional break from learning languages is certainly good for my mental health and my social life. What is really weird is that the break from language learning didn't mean I took a break from this forum; I read, and contributed to, very interesting threads. Maybe I should post in other parts of the forum more often. Yesterday I was ready to learn languages again, so I did.

The first thing I wanted to do was spend more time on Thai. I looked at the alphabet, pronunciation and a litte bit of grammar as well. I spent about 90 minutes looking at, and writing down, the letters. The best thing is I remember most of them now, though I can't read anything yet without relying on Romanization. I know I've mentioned the tones a few times and I still only hear three out of the five tones consistently, but right now I am most concerned about the mid tone. I am unclear on how the mid tone should sound and I think the tone I have been using is too low.

I also listened to spoken Swedish and sang along to a few Swedish songs just so I didn't completely forget the language. I needn't have been worried, I haven't forgotten much Swedish.

Next post will be about Finnish, now I want to continue with the language that is supposed my main focus for the February 6WC.

Hej då
ไว้เจอกัน
Mick   

Edited by mick33 on 25 February 2012 at 9:05am

2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 22 of 108
28 February 2012 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
I thought listening to spoken and sung Finnish would motivate me to study the language more seriously and it worked. I do have to reread my old logs again to make sure I don't repeat grammar points here, but this is also a great way to review what I learned before.

I missed some things in 2009 when I did a partial overview of Finnish grammar. One example was when I wrote that Finnish had four tenses, but as it turns out there are a few more tenses in other grammatical moods. Right now I am learning about konditionaali or the conditional mood. This mood looks like it is used similar to the way English uses the word "would" to express things which may or may not happen such as wishes or giving advice and also for polite requests. There are other tenses in this mood but in this post I will just briefly write about what I consider to be the basic form. To change a verb to the conditional form use either the conjugation for the pronoun "hän" (he or she; depends on who you are talikng to or about) or "he" (they) and add "isi" before adding the personal suffix.

If that explanation is a little confusing, maybe it will be easier to understand if I list a few verbs in these forms

soittaa - to call; to phone;
hän soittaa (he calls)
he soittavat (she calls)

conditional forms
minä soittaisin
sinä soittaisit
hän soittaisi
me soittaisimme
te soittaisitte
he soittaisivat

asua - to live
hän asuu (he or she lives)
he asuvat (they live)

minä asuisin
sinä asuisit
hän asuisi
me asuisimme
te asuisitte
he asuisivat

tietää - to know
he tietävät (they know)

minä tietäisin
sinä tietäisit
hän tietäisi
me tietäisimme
te tietäisitte
he tietäisivat

I've been working more on the Thai alphabet, but that will be a topic for my next post along with negative forms of the Finnish conditional mood.

Hyvää yöta
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 29 February 2012 at 9:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 23 of 108
28 February 2012 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
i just noticed your mention of Herra Ylppö above <33333333333333333

mick33
United States
Joined 5704 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 24 of 108
29 February 2012 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
I think I might be slipping into a dangerous pattern. I plan to type a message here in the early afternoon, start typing it only to get distracted, or realize that I needed to do more studying so I have something to write about. All these things make me have to continue the post late at night. This pattern has repeated three or four times now this year... Maybe I should plan to post in the morning.

My actual topic is my first impressions of the Thai alphabet, as well the sounds the letters represent and maybe a little grammar as well. These subjects may become a series of posts as there is a lot of new information for me to absorb and I don't want to spend most of one whole day just typing when I could be learning languages.

At first glance, the Thai alphabet looks much easier than Chinese characters; and it should be, Thai has 44 consonants and around 16-21 vowels rather than thousands of characters. The good news gets even better when I realize I can write these letters with my left hand. No one, however, should be surprised that my first attempts at writing Thai letters have been very, very sloppy and would be difficult to read. Unfortunately Thai script can be difficult for me to see on the internet also, due to very small type fonts that are often used and my bad eyesight.

The consonants often look alike, so I have already confused the following letters: ข,ฃ,บ,ป,ผ,ฝ,พ,ฟ,ก,ภ by mistakenly thinking they represented similar sounds, which is not always correct. This means I cannot just look at them once or twice and hope I remember the shapes, I must look over them many times to notice the sometimes subtle differences and listen to what they sound like repeatedly. I was also hoping to either avoid Romanization altogether or at least have weened myself off of it already, but I cannot avoid looking at it when it is presented or wishing for it when it is not.

Another thing I noticed yesterday afternoon is that, along with the 5 tones, vowel length is almost as important for distinguishing different words. There are two vowel lengths that to my ears sound like a short length and a very, very long length. The strange thing is I figured this out without even learning to recognize the vowel shapes.

I'll continue this later, if I don't feel too guilty about neglecting Finnish, Italian etc,.

@Serpent: When I wrote that post, I had just found out about the new Herra Ylppö ja Ihmiset CD and listened to some of the songs on YouTube, and now I want to buy the CD. I just have to find a Finnish company that offers cheap shipping to the US.

ราตรีสวัสดิ์
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 29 February 2012 at 11:20am

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version