1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 49 of 108
01 May 2012 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Oh no!!!!!!!
I had just shoved my interest in Devanagari idk where...and here come you and revive it:(
at least by now I have two reasons to be interested in Hindi and Sanskrit:
-the alphabet
-the fact that in the Hindi translations of Harry Potter, Sanskrit is used the way Latin is in the original (and in most/all European translations).
Ughhhhh. these reasons aren't good enough. aeljfldfjljgldgjdlgjljgdlfjgldgjljh
Wait, so the spells cast in Harry Potter are in Latin? I am so embarrassed to admit that I never knew that.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 50 of 108
01 May 2012 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
Well, they're not correct Latin. JK Rowling studied it at some point and she used to live in Portugal.
They're vaguely understandable to English native speakers, aren't they?

mick33
United States
Joined 5706 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 51 of 108
01 May 2012 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Yes, some of them are.

mick33
United States
Joined 5706 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 52 of 108
01 May 2012 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
¡Que fantastico! Vuelvo leer el idioma español hoy y aprendo ya más palabras nuevas. Leo la santa biblia.

Una lista de las palabras nuevas y las definiciónes inglés:
júntar - to put together
desordenada - messy, untidy
señorear - to dominate
la lumbrera - genius
la hierba - grass
alumbrar - to light, to illuminate
volar - to fly
la ballena - whale
mover - to move
bendecir - to bless

Escribiré acerca del idioma polaco a mi mensaje próximo.

Hasta luego
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 03 May 2012 at 8:19am

mick33
United States
Joined 5706 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 53 of 108
02 May 2012 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
Today has been a Polish day so far; I just don't feel like doing anything with Spanish right now, but maybe later this afternoon. I figure I'll just start learning Polish as though I am an absolute beginner I want to learn, as is usual for me, a little bit of basic grammar along with some vocabulary so I've been looking the notes from my last attempt to learn Polish so that I can refresh my knowledge of noun genders. I am also listening to Polskie Radio and am pleased that I actually recognize a few words such such as proszę, moźe(maybe, perhaps), słuchać(to listen), bardzo(very or very much), dziękuję(thank you) and tak. According to TY Polish, "tak" means "yes" but this online dictionary gives many more possible meanings. Proszę can also mean different things depending on context, so it can be used like the word "please" is someitmes used in English when making a polite request, or to mean you're welcome, or here you are and there are probably a few more uses but I forget what they are.

I have listened to spoken Polish for 20 minutes. I wanted to listen for a longer period of time but my mind started to wander so that's enogh for now. Tomorrow I will practice pronunciation and maybe learn a few verb conjugations. I forgot the conjugations for "być", which is a problem since "być" means "to be".

Do widzenia
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 03 May 2012 at 8:20am

mick33
United States
Joined 5706 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 54 of 108
04 May 2012 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
I've complained about Polish pronunciation before, but not anymore! My pronunciation has actually improved enough that I can be excited when I see or hear words like "mężczyzna" (man), "dziewczyna" (girl), "chłopczyk" (little boy) or the one that gave me fits last year "przypuszczam" (I suppose) because I have a vague idea of how to pronounce these words now. My pronunciation will still need a lot of work but pronouncing Polish words seems doable.

I also learned some of the personal pronouns and the present tence conjugation of być (to be):

ja - jestem
ty - jesteś
on/ona/ono - jest
my - jesteśmy
wy - jesteście
oni/one/oni - są

dobranoc
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 09 May 2012 at 10:31am

mick33
United States
Joined 5706 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 55 of 108
08 May 2012 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
I've been having fun figuring out Polish verb conjugations, along with listening to more spoken Polish and Polish is actually starting to sound very soothing. Polish is very pleasant to listen to; but this could be a problem because a soothing language is likely to make me fall asleep when I don't want to.

I am also not sure about doing a grammar overview. I usually like to do grammar overviews first, but with it could take too much time. I have found good explanations of Polish grammar online online but nothing very concise. I have decided to learn a few verb conjugations and though być is an important verb, it is irregular (to be and the corresponding verbs in other languages often are) and may not be the best example if I want to get an idea of how Polish verb cvonjugation patterns work so I looked up the present tense conjugations for słuchać (to listen to or to obey):

słucham
słuchasz
słucha
słuchamy
słuchacie
słuchaja

I have also just noticed that in Polish, just like Spanish or Italian, personal pronouns are not necessary, but Polish goes a step further and seems to omit them altogether and in fact I had to spend a bit of time looking up the personal pronouns for my previous post and I'm still not sure I found them all.

As for Spanish I'm still reading the Bible but I've been reading at a pace that is too slow if I intend to read 50 books by the end of 2013. So I will read faster, I also think it's time I got over my aversion to Spanish soap operas and telenovelas and just started watching them but I don't know.

cześć
Mick

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4908 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 56 of 108
08 May 2012 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Hi :)
I'll add something to your list

mick33 wrote:

pan/pani - jest

It's correct but if you list pronouns it would be better to write "on/ona/ono - jest" (he/she/it)

Edit:

Oh, 'państwo/panowie' does not represent two distinctive groups of people
państwo - men & women
panowie - men

panie - women

panie/panowie is correct but, once again, pronouns would be different, namely:
oni/one - they (masculine)/they (feminine) 'oni' is also used for mixed groups

Powodzenia!

Edited by Gosiak on 08 May 2012 at 5:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version