Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6702 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 1 of 21
08 June 2006 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Some time ago I've noticed that my command in English is dramatically decreasing. It used to be quite obvious to me that English is my "strongest" foreign language but now I have, quite intentionally, much more contact with German. I feel like losing my fluency in English. When I'm writing or saying something, I feel automatically that something "doesn't sound like English" and probably is incorrect. I have also a feeling that I've started having problems with grammar that was always my strong point.

What do you do to keep your language while learning other foreign languages? Using English in learning German is not really possible as I have quite many Polish resources and the German-only ones.
1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6742 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 2 of 21
08 June 2006 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
Julie wrote:
What do you do to keep your language while learning other foreign languages?

Mostly, I just try to read a novel once in a while, and I find it quite helpful in maintaining a language.

I do not try to maintain all four language skills - no time for that - but I find that reading alone is a lot more than doing nothing at all.

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6689 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 3 of 21
08 June 2006 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
I've found my Spanish has seriously degraded over the years, despite once having near native fluency in it. Now, my verb conjugations are sometimes all over the place, I find it increasingly harder to write and think in Spanish and my vocabulary's slowing slipping away. It certainly doesn't help that I've been learning new languages recently...it seems my brain is unable to cope!

I used to use Spanish in everyday life and school back in Gibraltar but once I went off to university, I hardly ever used it and this is still the case as I have not been in contact with any Spanish speakers in recent years (except for my occasional holidays back home). These days my only contact with the language is about 20 minutes a week when I call my grandmother.

Once I am back in Europe, I hope to buy El Pais or any other Spanish newspapers I can find. While I know these are available online, I always prefer to read the real thing. ;)

Frisco
Triglot
United States
Joined 6655 days ago

380 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Italian, Turkish, Mandarin

Message 4 of 21
08 June 2006 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
lady_skywalker wrote:
While I know these are available online, I always prefer to read the real thing.

I know what you mean. I find that when I read stuff in foreign languages (or in my native language, for that matter) online, it's too easy for me to distract myself with something else. :P

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6689 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 5 of 21
08 June 2006 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Frisco wrote:
lady_skywalker wrote:
While I know these are available online, I always prefer to read the real thing.

I know what you mean. I find that when I read stuff in foreign languages (or in my native language, for that matter) online, it's too easy for me to distract myself with something else. :P

Likewise! I find my attention span is substantially lower when it comes to reading anything on the Internet. I tend to to skim rather than read. And PDF files tend to hurt my eyes after a while so I prefer the printed book to the E-book any day. ^_^

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6742 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 6 of 21
08 June 2006 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
lady_skywalker wrote:
I've found my Spanish has seriously degraded over the years, despite once having near native fluency in it. ... I find it increasingly harder to write and think in Spanish and my vocabulary's slowing slipping away.

I had this happening with my Russian after 20+ years in the US. I reread Anna Karenina and followed up with a bunch of pretty trashy modern mystery novels with enough peppy dialog in them. It helped a lot, as did hanging out in a couple of internet forums.

I really do think reading can make a big difference.

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6814 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 21
09 June 2006 at 4:36am | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
I really do think reading can make a big difference.

lady skywalker wrote:
I prefer the printed book to the E-book any day. ^_^

I agree with both of you. There's nothing I enjoy more (well...almost nothing!) than settling down with a good book. Like Frisco, I get too distracted when I'm online.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6742 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 8 of 21
09 June 2006 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
patuco wrote:
There's nothing I enjoy more (well...almost nothing!) than settling down with a good book.

Besides being fun, I also find it the most practical way to maintain a language on a busy schedule.

I recently bought a small portable multiregion DVD player thinking I could sneak a foreign movie occasionally before going to sleep, but found that watching just a part of a movie somehow isn't fun, while staying up for up to two hours to finish it can ruin the next workday. A book, on the other hand, you can read a couple of pages in a few minutes, if you don't have time for more that day, and fall asleep, and if you do it day after day, it still adds up and is fun.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version