264 messages over 33 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 ... 32 33 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 105 of 264
19 June 2013 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
i got a PocketBook Touch 2.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 106 of 264
07 July 2013 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
god it hurts to give up:( deleted belarusian from the super challenge for now. if i somehow manage to read enough portuguese and Italian i'll pick it back up. but yay for having a lot of materials in it now.
(meh, forgot that with my shiny e-reader my plan was to read in belarusian at uni. oh well maybe it's better to read severgnini's books, they are good for noisy environments)

oh and my internship (?) at kaspersky lab will be over soon. a bit unexpected but hey, more time for the super challenge!

i think i'm skipping the august 6wc again, and i don't know what to do with German :S

also, totally shouldn't neglect AJATT-reading.

so weird to just KNOW that the darkest hour is just before the dawn, in terms of cycle too... soon i'll be full of confidence again but now i'm gloomy :S

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 107 of 264
26 August 2013 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
Some rambles about my personality and learning process in general. And plans.

I've decided I care too much about getting a golden star on the Super Challenge page, heh. I've realized that in some cases other people respect my achievements more than I respect them myself. Yes, it will be awesome to actually complete stuff - but realistically, in this case at least German and Croatian would have to go down the drain. Nope, not going to do that. In a week it'll be 10 years since I started learning German. I'm now doing a German-only Tadoku and I'm FINALLY able to read it, yay. I need to keep that up.

Another thing is that to some extent, I need(ed?) these challenges as an affirmation of my awesomeness. Now, however, I have a new source of it, the game Criminal Case. I play it in Portuguese and I'm learning a lot.

However, I'm looking forward to the autumn challenges. Will probably do a lot of Croatian - and good old Portuguese/Italian. And German. Yep.

When I'm done with the Brazilian audio, I'll probably switch both Portuguese and Italian to half-challenges. That's something I can achieve.

I'll also continue working towards the original goals post-challenge.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4468 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 108 of 264
26 August 2013 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
So does this mean you're working on German reading still, just you don't realistically expect to complete the
official challenge this year? It wasn't quite clear. Or maybe you're still not sure yourself?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 109 of 264
26 August 2013 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
And more about me, because I've found an awesomely fitting description. Since I got back into HP, I realized I'd be a Ravenclaw, and here's why.

Ravenclaws are much more into freedom - intellectual freedom, the right to do whatever you want, believe what you want, etc. - but they’re not into teamwork, group efforts, or thinking alike. They’re individual-focused, idea-focused, and more cerebral - which means that every Ravenclaw might end up off in their own little world.   I do think that they tend to be more focused on the process - but I don’t think that leads to a lack of results.

Ravenclaw, per the Welcome Letter, is a House of inventors, and inventors realize that the journey means as much as the eventual result. You learn a lot from your mistakes and failures: think of all the scientific discoveries that have resulted from someone screwing up, or while looking for one thing but finding another. Putting emphasis on the process doesn’t necessarily mean you accomplish less - you might accomplish something different, or you might take longer, but you might also actually end up with more results at the end of the day - solutions to other problems, inventions that do other things. It might take a lot longer to get there, but I think it would result in more goals rather than less - it’s easy to get sidetracked with a new line of questioning that suddenly opens, or to follow a new plot that came up while trying to figure out the old.

I do think that everybody in Ravenclaw is motivated by the idea of learning and discovery - after all, intelligence and wisdom are only gained through learning and living, trying new things, reading new things, doing new things. Claws tend to be highly individualized, which means they’ll be off doing their own thing - but I think that leaves them open to being open to others, as long as nobody interferes with their own personal world.

(source)

In my case, language learning is part of a larger framework that includes understanding linguistics, self-development, reading awesome books, learning new things, seeing how language affects our picture of the world and recognizing my own bias... and hopefully changing the world.

Edited by Serpent on 28 August 2013 at 3:45am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 110 of 264
26 August 2013 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
So does this mean you're working on German reading still, just you don't realistically expect to complete the
official challenge this year? It wasn't quite clear. Or maybe you're still not sure yourself?
Hard to say, as I'm finally experiencing the ease of reading that I had in Portuguese and Polish already last year. I'm reading a fairly easy book, Christiane F, but still it's a great feeling.

The only thing I know for sure is that I'm not giving up on German just for the sake of reading 50 books in Portuguese instead of 45 (for example).

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4014 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 111 of 264
26 August 2013 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
Serpent, oh, HP theme :)
There is some exeptions, Hermione, for example. Are you sure that there's nothing so important that it can put you in other part?
I do know that it is quite silly topic to discuss, but even this could result in something for thinking people :)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 112 of 264
26 August 2013 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure what you mean, sorry. And I don't think this topic is silly, for many people their Hogwarts house is an important part of their identity. And the books have many important themes in them like friendship, love, tolerance, patience, sacrifice...

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 264 messages over 33 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version