264 messages over 33 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 ... 32 33 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 89 of 264
16 February 2013 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
thought i'd set some february super challenge goals...
Belarusian: 15 movies, 7 books (currently 6 movies, 150 pages)
Polish: 20 books (currently 19) - not impressive but i just wanna hit 20.
German: 33 movies (currently 28), finish my first book in German where I actually read every single page (kuolleet omenapuut of course). hopefully reach 10 books total (currently 6), but that's not a very high priority.
Italian: currently 13 books. heart says 20, brain says it's too much.
Portuguese: 20 books (currently 13+)
Croatian: maybe 15 books? currently 1.5 oops

in general I'd love to break out of the "2 books per week to complete the challenge" stat that you'll get if you've done absolutely nothing.

edit: hmmm... I'm currently at page 50 or so in four books: two in Italian, one in German (omenapuut) and one in Belarusian. I started the German one in August. The Italian ones around 10 days ago (and I'm currently in Finland so it's not been max effort. I started the Belarusian one on Friday.
but German IS getting somewhat easier to read, yay.

now, what I really wanna read... most of it is in Italian.
-Palahniuk "Soffocare"; Lezioni semiserie - already reading
-Calcio: history (huge book, 600+)
-Fiorentina's history (after the previous one, when I understand the context better)
-rereading LOTR in Croatian
-a small book from the "Krimi für Kids"-series, for German kids learning English. a parallel text.
-Narrenturm by Sapkowski as soon as I get the books
-??? the biggest problem is that the Belarusian stuff isn't anywhere near as appealing....

I need a longer term plan and I need to set some goals for the beginning of the next Tadoku. at least hit 10 everywhere lol.
Some more super challenge goals:
-I don't want to complete the Brazilian audio part before the confederations cup starts... might sound weird haha. the final or third place match would be a beautiful way to finish the challenge. like uruguay-italy or spain-brazil, omnomnom. the initial goal is something like 85 "films" by then or 90 by my birthday, which is in the middle of the confed cup (i'll watch italy-japan and brazil-mexico..if i'm alive lol)
-10 "books" in German by the beginning of the next tadoku. maybe 12 if i manage
-add 200 pages of brazilian spam. that's not really my responsibility but i should work more with it.
-get rid of my eye problem asap. not allowing myself to sign up for tadoku if it's there again.

Edited by Serpent on 16 February 2013 at 11:54pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 90 of 264
02 March 2013 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
sooo a super challenge update... just some numbers. i've done:
100% of the Italian and Polish audio
70% Polish total
58% Italian total (I want to reach 60% asap!)
50% or a bit more of Danish, Romanian, Portuguese audio
32% Portuguese total
29% German total (can't wait for 30%)
16% Belarusian total (mostly movies)
7% Croatian total

With Italian I'm de facto doing what Cristina said: "if you watch 100 movies this year [2012], I'm sure you can do 100 books next year." done with the movies and focusing on the books now.

I'm finally less terrified of the reading part. Mostly because I see improvement and realize that progress is not linear. I expect to complete in advance all the challenges where I'm currently on track.

also, here's a gorgeous Belarusian chart :)

gotta love the smoothness! :) now it's a bit less smooth :P but this means more items, so yay! I was going to reach 15 movies, 7 books but only got close enough on the movies part (14). really need to find something enjoyable in it:)

Edited by Serpent on 02 March 2013 at 11:21pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 91 of 264
10 March 2013 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
Spring has come and Ukrainian is back on my list <3

I've seen that there's a challenge for doing GLOSS lessons, and as a huge fan of the site I'm going to do one in each of my languages available. But right now I'm behind on reading LOTR, so I'll just anticipate the time when I get around to this and make a list of the lessons I plan to do.

French: Green IT. As I only do it because of my job, I choose topics that are relevant for it.
Portuguese: América Downgrades Fluminense with a Fantastic Performance! One of the few football lessons I've not done yet.
Spanish: River Plate: A Teetering Giant. Same.
German: A New Sculpture for Hamburg. My fave city, yay!
Serbian: What is it that Goes on in the World of Sports?
Croatian: About the History of Ston, Salt and Salt-making. Been staring at the title for like forever, time to finally do it!
Indonesian: Save Others. About first aid.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 92 of 264
18 March 2013 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Just sharing: nice way to sum up the times of the day in Italian.

In other news, I freaking love my first German-free Tadoku. Yay.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 93 of 264
01 April 2013 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
One more update for Italian books.
One woman was selling tons of books and I bought 16 (those #19-34). I listed the prices as she gave them to me, but I got a discount and paid 4600 roubles for all the books, and also got two for free. So the numbers don't quite match.
These books are about 3860 pages total, so I finally at least OWN more or less enough books for the Super Challenge. I will still buy more books by Severgnini though because I can read them even when surrounded by noise:)

Polish:
1. HP 3 - 35 złoty
2. a Warsaw guidebook for football fans - about 20 złoty
3. a book about football - 27 złoty
4. A. Sapkowski - Żmija - 33 złoty
5. A. Sapkowski - Boży bojownicy - 45 złoty
+two football phrasebooks that don't really count
total: 160 złoty, ie about 38 €. not expecting to go to Poland again or order from there. (still need the two other books from Narrenturm, but hoping to maybe get them in German)

German:
1. Johanna Sinisalo - Troll - 14.5 €
2. Moomins - 22 € (huge disappointment! This is just a comic book, will count as a half-book at most)
3. Remarque - Drei Kameraden - 480 roubles (for uni so I'd buy it regardless of the SC)
4. Patrick Süskind - Das Parfum - 638 roubles (I'VE WANTED TO READ IT IN German FOR LIKE FOREVER)
5. Joel Lehtonen - Verdorrte Apfelbäume - 14.9 €
6. Krimis für Kids - Die Verschwundene Trom - 6.70 £ not including the shipping
Total: 88.3 € (7 £/9 € + 51.5 € + 1118 roubles/27.8 €)

Portuguese:
1. Paulo Coelho - O Alquimista - 14.9 €
2. Paulo Coelho - O Diário de um Mago - 14.9 €
3. Dan Brown - O Código da Vinci - 16.9 €
4. Jorge Amado - Capitães da areia - 69 roubles ie in between 2 $ and 2 € (published in Russia)
a cancelled order: HP 5, LOTR 3. about 20€ each plus 16 EUROS motherf**king shipping=54 €. Nope, not cancelled by me. IDK why it got cancelled:( Still looking to buy especially HP 5 to complete my collection) edit: probably cancelled because the total price was over 54€. got LOTR3 much cheaper in Italian :P
5. Harry Potter e a Ordem da Fénix - 24 £ (counting as about 30 € bc I didn't include the shipping)
total: about 80 €

Belarusian:
1. Shamiakin - collected works - 17.000 BYR
2. Bychkouski - Anamalia (a fantasy story) - 39.000 BYR
3. Zarecki - 27.000 BYR
total: about 82.000 BYR, ie about 8€, which is a more significant sum in Belarus than in Europe obviously

Italian:
1. Machiavelli - Il Principe - 80 roubles (published in Russia)
2. Amor di Roma short stories about Rome - 600 roubles
3. Che storia! about the history of Italy - 720 roubles
4. Beppe Severgnini - L'italiano: Lezioni semiserie - 690 roubles
5. Gramática Italiana para estudiantes de habla española (almost entirely in Italian) - 600 roubles
6. Il ritorno del re - 8.42 €
7. Materazzi - Che cosa ho detto veramente a Zidane - 4.50 €
8. Fiorentina da impazzire! - 6.72 €
9. John Foot - Calcio 1898-2010 - 11.82 €. (lol what names. does he think football died when Inter won CL? haha... inspired by the previous book on the list - too many mentions of teams that mean nothing to me)
10. Harper Lee - Buio oltre la siepe - 6 €
11. Chuck Palahniuk - Soffocare - 8.50 €
12. Tove Jansson - Racconti dalla valle dei Mumin - 6.63 €
13. Tove Jansson - Caccia alla cometa - 5.95 €
14. Mika Waltari - Sinuhe l'egiziano - 9.35 € (everyone in Finland has read this)
15. (see the Croatian section!!!)
16. David Eddings - La grande dea - 8.10 €
17. David Eddings - Abisso di cristallo - 8.55 €
18. David Eddings - Gli eredi degli dei - 8.96 €
19. Andrea de Carlo – Uccelli da gabbia e da voliera – €7.8
20. Antonio Tabucchi – Notturno indiano – €8
21. Antonio Tabucchi – Piccoli equivoci senza importanza – €6.5
22. Enzo Biagi – Cara Italia – €9.8
23. Giuseppe Genna - Nel nome di Ishmael - €3,5
24. Stefano Benni – Bar Sport - €6,5
25. Luciano de Crescenzo – Cosi parlo bellavista - Napoli, amore e libertà – €7.8
26. Luciano de Crescenzo – Il caffè sospeso - €9
27. Niccolo Ammaniti – Ti prendo e ti porto via - €8,4
28. Pier Vittorio Tondelli – Camere separate – €7.5
29. Sergej Dovlatov – Compromesso – €7.5
30. Sicilia fantastica – racconti – €9.5
31. Stefano Benni – Terra! - €7,5
32. Stefano Benni – Dottor Niù - €6
33. Stefano Benni – Spiriti - €7
34. Stefano Benni – Teatro2 - €7,5

Total: 276.60 € (including 7290 roubles/184 €)

Croatian
1. Njegoš - Луча микрокозма/Il raggio del microcosmo - 12.60 € (some poetry - parallel text in Serbo-Croatian and Italian!!!)
Total: 12.60 €

I'm also starting a separate list for Obscene Shipping Fees. I don't bother counting the 3-4 € ones though they can add up.
1. europeanbooks.co.uk - 7.10 £ ie let's say 8.49 €. that's muuuch better than what the Portuguese store offered so I bought HP5 from there, and I also got a German book. but still...gah.
2. ibs.it - Seeing il mio IBS is bad enough as it feels jinxy (I don't have IBS, fortunately :D), but the prices.. ohhhh. so far I've ordered from them together with a friend, so that we shared the base fee of 11.90 € (WTF), to which 20% the price is added. So, she paid me 15.70 € for the book that costs 6.75 €. the total shipping price was fuсking 20.46 € - and you're not allowed to make it too cost-efficient because the orders sent to Russia can't exceed the price of 50€, INCLUDING the shipping. damn FedEx. So anyway, this time I got away with paying "only" 11.51 € for three books (LOTR3, Materazzi, Fiorentina's history). But Italian books are so cheap themselves that I now have THREE more pending orders from them. all 49.something €. all for myself only. oops. If I don't complete the Super Challenge in Italian I may as well kill myself. But the good news is that the orders include some "soap opera fantasy" which should help.
3. more from ibs.it - 19.24 € for two moomin books, kill a mockingbird and calcio
4. ibs.it - 18.90 € - palahniuk, sinuhe, serbian poetry
5. ibs.it - three books by Eddings - 23.28 € while the books themselves are 25.61

To balance out:

GIFTS&Free stuff
-Two books in Swiss German from dad (bought in Switzerland)
-Three books in Portuguese from espejismo who also got them for free
-With the huge purchase in Italian I got two books for free: Guiseppina Vallesi – Ignazia alle crociate; Quasi d'amore - dodici racconti
I also get paid for reading spam (although the employer would prefer if I only read as much as needed and not entire messages in interesting languages (even so called Nigerian spam).

I might actually do a German 6WC in May :O Definitely don't wanna do a German-only tadoku. I'm thinking Belarusian, Croatian, Polish for the next Tadoku in May. Or maybe Italian instead of Polish, but a Slavic Tadoku looks so neat :))) And now I'm kinda eager to read in Polish and German after they didn't count for Tadoku and I read almost nothing in them.

Very satisfied with the March tadoku btw, read just 100 pages less in 2 weeks than in the whole January round.

not sure about goals, I really need to improve my Belarusian SC score. Think I'll do Belarusian 6WC in August as I'll probably spend at least some part of the month in Belarus.

Edited by Serpent on 01 April 2013 at 5:37pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 94 of 264
03 April 2013 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
Argh this drives me mad!

(that's Italian, Polish, Portuguese, audio-only challenges, German and Belarusian)

arghhhh arghhhh what to tackle! egersb nmf,ednrsd,sdkjmd,ksjngnkmdlkmnkmdlmknjgrkmd,.mkjngmfd,gm,df gkhkmldmkjjkml.,kmjleö

i also was freaking sad today (most likely PMS, but it's a bit early for that), and I decided I can't handle a German 6WC. maybe Croatian...

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 95 of 264
27 April 2013 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
another update:

Polish:
1. HP 3 - 35 złoty
2. a Warsaw guidebook for football fans - about 20 złoty
3. a book about football - 27 złoty
4. A. Sapkowski - Żmija - 33 złoty
5. A. Sapkowski - Boży bojownicy - 45 złoty
6. A. Sapkowski - Narrenturm and Lux perpetua - ordered printing for 1000 roubles
+two football phrasebooks that don't really count
total: 160 złoty + 1000 roubles, ie about 63 €. not expecting to go to Poland again or order from there.

German:
1. Johanna Sinisalo - Troll - 14.5 €
2. Moomins - 22 € (huge disappointment! This is just a comic book, will count as a half-book at most)
3. Remarque - Drei Kameraden - 480 roubles (for uni so I'd buy it regardless of the SC)
4. Patrick Süskind - Das Parfum - 638 roubles (I'VE WANTED TO READ IT IN German FOR LIKE FOREVER)
5. Joel Lehtonen - Verdorrte Apfelbäume - 14.9 €
6. Krimis für Kids - Die Verschwundene Trom - 6.70 £ not including the shipping
Total: 88.3 € (7 £/9 € + 51.5 € + 1118 roubles/27.8 €)

Portuguese:
1. Paulo Coelho - O Alquimista - 14.9 €
2. Paulo Coelho - O Diário de um Mago - 14.9 €
3. Dan Brown - O Código da Vinci - 16.9 €
4. Jorge Amado - Capitães da areia - 69 roubles ie in between 2 $ and 2 € (published in Russia)
a cancelled order: HP 5, LOTR 3. about 20€ each plus 16 EUROS motherf**king shipping=54 €. Nope, not cancelled by me. IDK why it got cancelled:( Still looking to buy especially HP 5 to complete my collection) edit: probably cancelled because the total price was over 54€. got LOTR3 much cheaper in Italian :P
5. Harry Potter e a Ordem da Fénix - 24 £ (counting as about 30 € bc I didn't include the shipping)
total: about 80 €

Belarusian:
1. Shamiakin - collected works - 17.000 BYR
2. Bychkouski - Anamalia (a fantasy story) - 39.000 BYR
3. Zarecki - 27.000 BYR
total: about 82.000 BYR, ie about 8€, which is a more significant sum in Belarus than in Europe obviously

Italian:
1. Machiavelli - Il Principe - 80 roubles (published in Russia)
2. Amor di Roma short stories about Rome - 600 roubles
3. Che storia! about the history of Italy - 720 roubles
4. Beppe Severgnini - L'italiano: Lezioni semiserie - 690 roubles
5. Gramática Italiana para estudiantes de habla española (almost entirely in Italian) - 600 roubles
6. Il ritorno del re - 8.42 €
7. Materazzi - Che cosa ho detto veramente a Zidane - 4.50 €
8. Fiorentina da impazzire! - 6.72 €
9. John Foot - Calcio 1898-2010 - 11.82 €. (lol what names. does he think football died when Inter won CL? haha... inspired by the previous book on the list - too many mentions of teams that mean nothing to me)
10. Harper Lee - Buio oltre la siepe - 6 €
11. Chuck Palahniuk - Soffocare - 8.50 €
12. Tove Jansson - Racconti dalla valle dei Mumin - 6.63 €
13. Tove Jansson - Caccia alla cometa - 5.95 €
14. Mika Waltari - Sinuhe l'egiziano - 9.35 € (everyone in Finland has read this)
15. (see the Croatian section!!!)
16. David Eddings - La grande dea - 8.10 €
17. David Eddings - Abisso di cristallo - 8.55 €
18. David Eddings - Gli eredi degli dei - 8.96 €
19. Andrea de Carlo – Uccelli da gabbia e da voliera – €7.8
20. Antonio Tabucchi – Notturno indiano – €8
21. Antonio Tabucchi – Piccoli equivoci senza importanza – €6.5
22. Enzo Biagi – Cara Italia – €9.8
23. Giuseppe Genna - Nel nome di Ishmael - €3,5
24. Stefano Benni – Bar Sport - €6,5
25. Luciano de Crescenzo – Cosi parlo bellavista - Napoli, amore e libertà – €7.8
26. Luciano de Crescenzo – Il caffè sospeso - €9
27. Niccolo Ammaniti – Ti prendo e ti porto via - €8,4
28. Pier Vittorio Tondelli – Camere separate – €7.5
29. Sergej Dovlatov – Compromesso – €7.5
30. Sicilia fantastica – racconti – €9.5
31. Stefano Benni – Terra! - €7,5
32. Stefano Benni – Dottor Niù - €6
33. Stefano Benni – Spiriti - €7
34. Stefano Benni – Teatro2 - €7,5

Total: 276.60 € (including 7290 roubles/184 €)

Croatian
1. Njegoš - Луча микрокозма/Il raggio del microcosmo - 12.60 € (some poetry - parallel text in Serbo-Croatian and Italian!!!)
2. ordered prints of the following public domain books for 1000 roubles (24.5 €)
Ksaver Šandor Gjalski: U noći
Ivana Brlić-Mažuranić: Priče iz davnine
Ivana Brlić-Mažuranić: Jaša Dalmatin potkralj Gudžerata
Ivana Brlić-Mažuranić: Čudnovate zgode šegrta Hlapića
Ivan Kozarac: Đuka Begović
Ante Kovačić: U registraturi
Vjenceslav Novak: U glib
Branimir Wiesner Livadić: Novele

Total: 37 €

I'm also starting a separate list for Obscene Shipping Fees. I don't bother counting the 3-4 € ones though they can add up.
1. europeanbooks.co.uk - 7.10 £ ie let's say 8.49 €. that's muuuch better than what the Portuguese store offered so I bought HP5 from there, and I also got a German book. but still...gah.
2. ibs.it - Seeing il mio IBS is bad enough as it feels jinxy (I don't have IBS, fortunately :D), but the prices.. ohhhh. so far I've ordered from them together with a friend, so that we shared the base fee of 11.90 € (WTF), to which 20% the price is added. So, she paid me 15.70 € for the book that costs 6.75 €. the total shipping price was fuсking 20.46 € - and you're not allowed to make it too cost-efficient because the orders sent to Russia can't exceed the price of 50€, INCLUDING the shipping. damn FedEx. So anyway, this time I got away with paying "only" 11.51 € for three books (LOTR3, Materazzi, Fiorentina's history). But Italian books are so cheap themselves that I now have THREE more pending orders from them. all 49.something €. all for myself only. oops. If I don't complete the Super Challenge in Italian I may as well kill myself. But the good news is that the orders include some "soap opera fantasy" which should help.
3. more from ibs.it - 19.24 € for two moomin books, kill a mockingbird and calcio
4. ibs.it - 18.90 € - palahniuk, sinuhe, serbian poetry
5. ibs.it - three books by Eddings - 23.28 € while the books themselves are 25.61

To balance out:

GIFTS&Free stuff
-Two books in Swiss German from dad (bought in Switzerland)
-Three books in Portuguese from espejismo who also got them for free
-With the huge purchase in Italian I got two books for free: Guiseppina Vallesi – Ignazia alle crociate; Quasi d'amore - dodici racconti
I also get paid for reading spam (although the employer would prefer if I only read as much as needed and not entire messages in interesting languages (even so called Nigerian spam).

as you can see I'm very much ready for the Croatian 6WC and then Tadoku *_* I probably w
I don't post updates often enough but you can always see on goodreads what I'm currently reading.

Also, my fave bookstore is now selling some world classics (and other stuff a learner might want to read like HP or Game of Thrones) in Spanish, Italian, German (and probably French). I think I'll get the Master and Margarita in Italian later - before that I've only seen it in English in stores. So nice that British and American writers are available in more than just English and Russian! It's been frustrating and I'm glad it's changing.

and they've made the Spanish section larger at the expense of the Italian one - kinda officially making it a more important language even in Russia. I mean Italian probably remains more popular, but there are more materials sold for Spanish, because English-based and L2-only coursebooks are also available, even if there might be more Russian-based ones for Italian.

Edited by Serpent on 27 April 2013 at 5:22pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 96 of 264
27 April 2013 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
And to set some goals, I hope to read all the Croatian stuff before July. And to read everything I own in Belarusian before Tadoku (I don't think I'll be signing up with Belarusian in June).
It's kinda ridiculous to set a goal for the Sapkowski books because I'm madly excited to read them, but they should also take me very close to completing the Polish reading for the SC (also added conversation, btw - this will be mostly shadowing!).

I should also read more Portuguese before Tadoku - mostly in order not to need to think "have I read this before and which reread is that?"

This discussion contains 264 messages over 33 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version