264 messages over 33 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 ... 32 33 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 145 of 264
01 March 2014 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
Funny, in the thread about swearing we discussed how this filter is ridiculous in the first place. I also regularly use the word sнit and nobody ever complained.

Do you think there's a better way to make sure anyone who tells me about my inbox from now on remembers about the bug and doesn't blame me on not cleaning it?
1 person has voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3864 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 146 of 264
02 March 2014 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
Serpent wrote:
And of course we can swear, the software is not
advanced enough to block similar or identical letters from other alphabets.

Just because the software isn't advanced enough to block something like that does not
mean it's appropriate or acceptable. I'm sure there were more than a few people
(besides me and Gemuse) who would rather have not seen that.

I am not sure about the implication being made here, but I just want to clarify that I
have no problem with curse words, and I meant what I wrote. It was not a sarcastic
comment.

Serpent: what forum bug is this?

Edited by Gemuse on 02 March 2014 at 7:54am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 147 of 264
02 March 2014 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
The bug when someone's inbox says they have, say, 70 PM's and can receive 30 more, but when anyone actually tries to send them a message, it doesn't get sent because "this user's inbox is full". I try to keep it below 70 and it normally seems to work. But this bug is mentioned on practically every other page of my log, and my email is also easily findable here.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 148 of 264
02 March 2014 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
Kerrie wrote:
Serpent wrote:
And of course we can swear, the software is not advanced enough to block similar or identical letters from other alphabets.

Just because the software isn't advanced enough to block something like that does not mean it's appropriate or acceptable. I'm sure there were more than a few people (besides me and Gemuse) who would rather have not seen that.

I am not sure about the implication being made here, but I just want to clarify that I
have no problem with curse words, and I meant what I wrote. It was not a sarcastic
comment.

I apologize for misunderstanding you, Gemuse. :)

But I stand by what I said.

Just because the software isn't advanced enough to block something like that does not mean it's appropriate or acceptable. I'm sure there were more than a few people (besides myself) who would rather have not seen that.

I'll just unsubscribe, so no worries. Cuss away.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 149 of 264
02 March 2014 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
I'd rather not use at least this particular word than force you out of my log.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 150 of 264
06 March 2014 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
And this kind of concludes my formal English learning. I'm always aiming to improve, but I've gradually switched to an almost Benny-like attitude (one of the few posts I liked, btw). I write and write and write, and when I'm not satisfied with something specific, I look for a way to say it more eloquently, more prettily, in a more interesting way. (Yes, interesting. Why not?) I have some grammar books I'm attached to, but realistically I don't think I'll be using them anymore. I still don't want to switch English (or especially Finnish) to "not studying", though.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 151 of 264
06 March 2014 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
It's ironic how many brackets my previous post contains, by the way. One thing I'm proud of is that I've learned not to overuse them, as well as to split long sentences and add extra information using other means like asterisks. It used to be very common for me to write this kind of sentences:

Subject (long huge epic eirgjirwgjiwprhgpiwhgpierhgpwhphph remark) - repeatsubject predicate blablabla.

Ugly.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 152 of 264
20 March 2014 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
So I've officially started Swedish. I'm basically doing the same thing as what I did in the beginning of my Polish studies - L2 audio+L2 text. And once again it's a March Tadoku... but I've realized I don't have any audiobook with an accompanying text! So I'm focusing on music for now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaKovFZ-sgg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFoSbMDCttg

just... trolling.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 264 messages over 33 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version