264 messages over 33 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17 ... 32 33 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 129 of 264
31 December 2013 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
Well, hello from 2014. Now that my race against time is over, I'm writing a summary, wrap-up or whatever. Of this Jurnalul unui nebun.

Right now the brightest memory is Danish. I've already posted a link to this video before, once again sorry if the comparison offends anyone but it feels extremely accurate. Of course there are still moments where I'm completely clueless, but by now I know it's normal. I didn't complete my Danish 100x audio challenge, but I did my best and reached 94 items. Not only because of Italian and Romanian... but also because I got tired of HP. I counted and 43 of my Danish items were HP - no wonder I couldn't stand the final sprint! That's an important lesson for the future.
One of the coolest moments was when after a couple of days I realized "hey, Danish/Italian LR is tiring!" and then it occurred to me that I had never done it before! At the beginning of the Super Challenge I'd not even think of it - Danish/Russian or Danish/Danish was hard enough! (I tried Danish/German, but frankly my level in both was crappy)

Another nice memory is sitting on the beach in Malta and reading Ancelotti's bio in Italian. He wrote about his CL win with Milan and how the turning point of the season was taking the team to Malta for the winter break. And I understood it well. I also did an Italian 6WC and it was really my last chance. I'm hoping to upgrade it to basic fluency in 2014. See the previous page for some stats. I pretty much hit my limits or got very close at least.

Spanish is becoming increasingly important in my life. I got to practise it in Malta, and recently I impressed mum by singing along with Camisa negra. In fact this was also my first proper song of 2014, not counting the sнit on Russian TV.

It will never be more important than Portuguese though :P I'm excited about the Iberian team for 2014. And about the World Cup, of course. And about the awesome HTLAL'ers, you know who you are ♥.

Romanian is doing well. I'm going to read some Ilya Frank's method books. Unrelated but maybe in Czech too. I already own one in Czech

German... I've had a great sprint when I did it for Tadoku. At least I'm able to enjoy it. Not enough to do it for a full-month Tadoku, but I'm satisfied.

As for the Slavic languages... In Polish and Belarusian I can do significantly more than an average Russian/casual tourist. In Croatian, not really. I got some books towards the end of the year but ended up reading the aforementioned languages instead.

Ukrainian and Catalan are in the slow improvement mode. I now get much more exposure on twitter than I used to.

Last but not least, Finnish. It's my New Year tradition and I'm going to have a Finnish session soon. I miss giving it proper attention, and I'm glad that by the new rules I can do a Super Challenge in it. I can't say I neglected it, but I've been maybe keeping what I have rather than making progress. This will change, I promise ♥♥♥ I'm celebrating New Year in my Kimi&Ferrari shirt. Let's hope I'll smile with relief when I reread this last line.

To end this on an optimistic note, it's definitely time to do more Swedish. And who knows, I might even finish Assimil Norwegian.

Edited by Serpent on 07 January 2014 at 5:02am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 130 of 264
01 January 2014 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
More HP stats - I basically completed a HP Super challenge, haha.
As I said, in Danish, 43 of my 94 items were HP.
In Polish, it was 24.5 items, but this included a lot of reading.
Other languages got 35.5 more items.
The total is 103 HP items, in case you were wondering. So actually only a half challenge.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 131 of 264
01 January 2014 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
43? I knew these Dutch books were short. I read the whole series, and with the selection of editions I used it was
only 3185 total pages. For comparison, in the French translation, the Order of the Phoenix alone is well over 1000
pages.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 132 of 264
01 January 2014 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
Well, in Danish I only did listening. Obviously that's a lot of hours. In fact the 1st book is the only one I read completely during the challenge, in Italian. I mostly did selective rereading (I wrote about it here... I didn't do all of these, just the first four topics I listed, plus Halloween, Christmas and the conversations with Dumbledore at the end of each book)

I went through all seven books between the summer of 2011 and May 2012 though, so that's why I didn't feel like doing another go. and prior to this summer I didn't own an e-reader/owned the books only in these languages.

Edited by Serpent on 01 January 2014 at 3:21am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 133 of 264
01 January 2014 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
Thought I'd list my teams for 2014 here, in addition to the first post of the thread.

||Teams: *jäŋe/*ledús == Exploradores == Spaß == Forza == Sisu == Sokoły/Соколи ||
Observer: Asgård == Oranje

...When did I sign up for 6? And if I hadn't come up with the new status, would it be 8?

Welcome, everyone :P

Edited by Serpent on 20 January 2014 at 12:27am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 134 of 264
01 January 2014 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
I know the feeling, Serpent. I resisted temptation to join anything for German, French or
Papiamento, but that leaves me with 5. Good luck in 2014's TAC!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 135 of 264
02 January 2014 at 6:42am | IP Logged 
Good luck to you too! I had quite little temptation for German, but when the name Team Spaß was suggested I just knew I need more Spaß in my German learning.

A somewhat embarrassing update. I had nothing to read in Spanish for Tadoku, and I randomly grabbed the book for Spaniards learning Italian that I got a couple of years ago. There's not much Spanish text (and Italian doesn't count for the challenge haha), so I started reading about the pronunciation. And ughhh :S
-Sometimes I make the u in gui mute, without realizing that there's already ghi for that. I need to look for some examples to reinforce the correct pronunciation :/
-I didn't realize that s is about as random as z. And I still need to go through some lists for these. And there's the problem of learning from lists. I know I once asked for voiceless zucchero in Malta. I got what I wanted so I assumed it was correct :(
-I've turned scienza, scientifico into exceptions in my head. Omg excuse the comparison, but now that I've listened to some files at forvo, it totally sounds like the Russian щ in the beginning.
-Similar issue with magnifico, except that there are at least comparable exceptions like geroglifico.
-origen is masculine in Spanish? okaaaay.
-I didn't realize celeste is a derivation from cielo. Cool.
-much like I used to pronounce Suomi like the Russian hockey commentators pronounce it (it's still in my "sounds" here), my i in Fiorentina is way too strong. I kinda make a distinction between AC Fiorentina and bistecca alla fiorentina :P :S
-I love how sometimes the book resorts to explaining the pronunciation via Catalan. I guess most Spaniards know at least some proper names?
-added Forvo to my search bar. I have an add-on for adding custom ones. And because forvo won't be the default one, the "second search" add-on is extremely useful. It lets you choose the search engine for this particular search. My default one is google images, btw.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4641 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 136 of 264
02 January 2014 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
-added Forvo to my search bar. I have an add-on for adding custom ones. And because forvo won't be the default one, the "second search" add-on is extremely useful. It lets you choose the search engine for this particular search.

Sounds interesting, maybe some more info?
Anyway... Well. You know I cross my fingers. You seem to be a female and better version of me :D

This discussion contains 264 messages over 33 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version