fortheo
United States
Joined 4795 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 9 of 162
05 January 2012 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
Hey, welcome to the team!!

I am looking forward to your progress on both languages. I too love Russian, but have been putting it off till i get a decent grasp on Japanese. So following your log should give me a good idea of what i can expect when i start to incorporate Russian into my studies :)

best of luck!
1 person has voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4556 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 10 of 162
05 January 2012 at 5:09am | IP Logged 
@Brun_Ugle: Thanks a lot. Yep, I can't see micro tags in your posts, so I guess that should be ok. I
appreciate the link you sent me; I did download the RTK supplement from the RevTK site previously, but I did
double-check your link to make sure. It's a relief knowing I can start reading before RTK 3, but I WILL go
through it, since I have a hunch that the more kanji you know, the wider the fields are that you can attempt to
read in. I appreciate your support!

@fortheo: Thank you! I'm currently mulling over how to incorporate Russian within my Japanese schedule,
and I'll hopefully post regularly. I do hope that in the end this log comes as some help to you, and anyone
reading it. Good luck in your studies!

ErwinHiggs
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4472 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 11 of 162
05 January 2012 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
Wow! That was a long read but definitely worth it!
You seem passionate about both your language which really inspired me!
I'm impressed at your pace going through RTK. I've been able to do 75 in one day and I
can't see myself doing that again anytime soon. What does your retention rate looks like?
It's important to really get a good start because the first few hundreds are somewhat
easy and can be remembered by memory, but in the long run, it could be hurtful to go that
fast no? Anyhow, if it works for you, than kudos!
I'll be following your log with vivid eyes

edit : I've seen your stories on Reviewing the Kanji, they're quite good!

Edited by ErwinHiggs on 08 January 2012 at 8:19am

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5844 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 12 of 162
11 January 2012 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
hi woodsei, I just realized I haven't visited your log yet and decided to come by

Woodsei wrote:
I like the idea of sentence-mining too, because you can get any sentence that doesn't have to be in a book.
It'll help me focus on the more contemporary/colloquial written and spoken language. So I'll be doing that too.

I had no idea it was called "sentence-mining", that's so cool! I find most of my sentences at Tatoeba, even though I'm sure you can find sentences anywhere. Tatoeba is a great way to get sentences for kanji that you're working with. Another great resource is Jim Breen, especially for text glossing. There's sentence examples for kanji there too! I'm looking forward to reading your next post. Are you still working on RTK/Heisig?

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4556 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 13 of 162
15 January 2012 at 6:45am | IP Logged 
Hi All!

I missed the forum! I'm currently moving (as in changing homes) and it's total chaos over here. I didn't get to
post last week, and I should have, but tomorrow hopefully I'll have my post for the past two weeks up and
running. I promise I'll stick to posting weekly as promised in the future :)

@ErwinHiggs: I agree that the more kanji I cover, the more my reviews pile up, and it does get pretty hard.
Thankfully, I've always been able to retain info I committed to memory pretty well, but I do work a little extra
with kanji. I downloaded 2 different Heisig decks from the shared Anki decks, played around with the settings
to customize my study plans, and use those as review decks after using the RevTK website. What I do is,
after I study the kanji and review it, I go over it a second time at night using one deck, and another in the
morning with the second deck. Then I let the SRS system take care of the rest. :) I kind of attack the kanji
early on using my own timing, then SRS it according to what Anki thinks I need. I wouldn't need to do that if I
was going at a pace of 25-50/day, but with larger numbers, if I just leave kanji as is, I'll probably get a bit lost.
The other thing I do is, when I review, I sometimes try to group the kanji that have similar meanings, or similar
primitive parts, and compare and contrast them. They kind of stick better that way. But I do that only in the
review stage, not when I'm still trying to learn a new kanji, since I have a hunch that I'll probably get muddled
somewhere. :)
Concerning the kanji stories, thank you!

@Sunja: Thanks for the links! Yes, I'm still working on Heisig/RTK solely, and really hoping I'll be done by the
end of the month. I'm dying to start real Japanese! (well, kanji is Japanese, but you get my point :). )

Looking forward to getting back to all your logs, as well as updating mine tomorrow, hopefully.
Break a leg! (in the metaphorical sense:). )

じゃあね!(I hope I spelled it right)

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6379 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 14 of 162
15 January 2012 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
You must be going through Heisig at an incredible rate if you think 25-50 a day is nothing. I am at the moment struggling my way through RTK3 and I'm only going about 6-7 per day. I've been thinking about increasing the amount just to get the torture over with a little faster, but I don't know. My retention rate for RTK3 kanji is already terrible.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 15 of 162
17 January 2012 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
Have you had a chance to start with any Russian yet, or are you just doing Japanese? One thing I used to do in the beginning, just to get used to the Russian alphabet, was to write little messages to the kids or to myself in Norwegian but with Russian letters.

The kids loved it, and it made it possible for me to sit in meetings which were about as exciting as watching paint dry, and write in my meeting notes: This is so boring I am going absolutely nuts! And this without being worried that anyone would understand. The only colleague who understands Russian hates meetings even more than I do so he would never rat me out.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4556 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 16 of 162
23 January 2012 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
I'm back, finally.

Moving between homes is such a pain, I just can't begin to describe it. I had to wait for my internet service to switch over to the new place. I'm glad it's back, because now I'll post two weeks worth of updates, as well as this tonight's. So here goes, my first post that I saved to my computer when I couldn't access the internet.

UPDATE January 8:

It's been very hectic around here, all with packing boxes, meeting last minute deadlines, and so on and so forth. Hence, this post will be somewhat short, and I promise I'll expand on the nitty gritty details when I have more time. Here goes:

Japanese

1. Kanji: I was able to cover 400 kanji this week, so my total now is 676 in all. What I do is, after I study the kanji and think of useful stories, I review them all, and then I do another round of reviews before I go to bed at the end of the day. Then I review a third time the very next morning when I wake up, and then let Anki's SRS take care of the rest. I downloaded two shared Heisig decks on Anki to do this, since I already use RevTK to do the main study. Since I'm studying in large chunks, I need to attack the reviews early on before following SRS algorithms, or else I'll quickly drown in a sea of forgotten kanji. Of course, the reviews have been getting longer, but I'll see what I can do about that.

2. Japanese Media: Came across an extremely hilarious and fun drama called Gokusen. I was following Ryomaden, which I absolutely love, but halfway through it the sad scenes got to me, so I decided to take a break and watch a light show for a change. The drama is so funny and inspiring, I'm having no trouble rewatching it :) Plus I also get to learn a handful of yakuza phrases :) Not something a girl should use speaking, but it's really fun to know :) Another drama I found is called Hana Yori Dango, and it's a romantic comedy/drama. I'm really loving it, even though it gets cheesy at time. It's a teen romance, but it's good to reflect on how we all were when we were 16, hahaha :)

3. Quote of the Week: In Hana Yori Dango, the lead character tells the girl he loves a little story about love that he learned from a man when he was living in New York. It's about how, when you cut a fig length-wise, it's in the shape of a heart, and that, for that particular man, represents the taste of love. The lead character tells his girl, "I don't know about that fig, but for me, the taste of love was that lousy cookie you made me."   :):):) Enjoy :P

I will post the original Japanese quote as soon as I find the transcription.

For now, that's all there is to it. I yet have to get round to figuring out what to do for Russian, and hopefully I will have something to share next week. Stay tuned!

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version