Russian Federation
Joined 4078 days ago

14 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English, Spanish

Message 153 of 162
08 April 2014 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
Woodsei, I hope this could
inspire you to pick up some more language :)

Japanese and Russian, just like you. though I belive she speaks Japanese like native, a great example to
follow (at least for me)..

Edited by andy123 on 08 April 2014 at 9:07pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4557 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 154 of 162
09 April 2014 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
@andy123: I know about her :D I visited her blog a while back and, like a lot of
polyglots out there in the blogosphere, I think she's an inspiration. That video was
pretty good!

Thank you for your encouragement! Much needed :) Can't wait to see what you've been up to
on your log!

andy123
Russian Federation
Joined 4078 days ago

14 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Russian*
Studies: English, Spanish

Message 155 of 162
09 April 2014 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
I'd prefer to encourage you by refreshing your Russian with Skype call (if/when you'd like to), rather by
opening my log :)

I've been watching your great success with TAC'12 and it's pity to know '13 was not very kind to you too.
but as Emme said - you’re not alone. almost all of my friends (so am I) have had a huge loss in '13. but
still, we have our hands and legs yet, we are here and we can and will fight together !

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4557 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 156 of 162
12 April 2014 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
@andy123: Thank you! Of course I'd be delighted to Skype. I should also get together with
everyone else on the team Skype meetings. I'll just have to get through my exams, which
will be over within a couple of weeks. I'll keep you posted :D

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4557 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 157 of 162
22 April 2014 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
I'm glad the forum is finally back. So grateful for the administrator and those who
worked tirelessly to fix it.

Anyway, I haven't posted for a while, due to ome impending exams due in a few months.
I'm still plugging along, but at a snail's pace. Mostly it's just reviews of what I
have read in Japanese and Russian. I'm not happy at all with my progress in Russian,
and therefore decided to scale back Japanese a little for the rest of April and a
portion of May to focus exclusively on Russian. I wish I could work on both equally,
but a huge chunk of the day is already spent on prepping for the exams, and I'm jut so
worn out from it all. I'm really looking forward to the day when my tests are over,
hopefully in a couple of months.

So, for some stats. For Russian, I'm jumping between some Assimil Russian, some Rpod,
and a couple of children's books. I decided to just stick with one source and try to
get the most out of it, since I'm not really making much progress spreading myself out
so thin. It maybe finishing the children's story, or reading Assimil as a reader (take
it in one shot the way I read books or readers). I've been stuck at lesson 33 since
forever. I stopped at that point in 2012, and then again this year. I can't seem to go
beyond it. I really wish I could get my act together and stop procrastinating. Oh well,
I'm hopeful I'll do better.

Japanese. I'm reading Ace of Diamond (ダイヤのエース), a baseball manga, and it's loads of
fun. I love sports, and any sports manga/anime/national or worldwide event just gives
me oodles of emotional boosts. Anyway, I'm in volume 4 currently, and at 40 volumes, I
still anticipate spending a significant amount of time reading it. Not that I mind. The
protagonist, Sawamura, is hilarious, as is the rest of the team :)

I'm planning on joining the Super Challenge this year. It's just right up my alley, and
I love reading, so there. I may join with both languages, but haven't decided yet. God
knows I need some sort of accountability to up my game in Russian.

For now, I'll go back and get some Russian in before calling it a day.

Best!

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4557 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 158 of 162
05 August 2014 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
My exams are over. Finally.

So glad to be back to the forum, and it looks like I've missed out on a lot of
interesting events.

Anyway, from now until the end of the TAC year, I'll try to stick to monthly goals so
that I have some sort of measurable progress with both languages.

I've realized I've spent a huge amount of time listening to Japanese, rather than
reading, and the difference in skills is palpable. I read a lot during Tadoku, but
outside of the challenges, I don't really look at any Japanese, and just content myself
with audio input. Not to mention that I haven't participated in the recent Tadoku
challenges. Which is all fine and good, just that my reading speed and comprehension is
suffering because of it. Also, I find that reading really advances my language skills
overall, more that anything else. Listening definitely does help, but reading really
makes me grasp that word, or grammar point, and move my passive understanding into an
active skill, as in writing and speech. I also haven't shadowed or spoken a word in
Japanese for a VERY long time, so time to do that too. Which reminds me, Lang-8. I
should be making more use of that awesome site.

I have been going back and forth between Assimil Russian, but recently I've just
decided to stick to graded readers and an Illya Frank book that I found on his website,
and then move on to the longer stories and children's books that I have. Youtube,
Rutube, and Russian podcasts and radio on iTunes are also obviously going to be
included. I love Assimil, but I always have fun when I work with something more
authentic, like stories where you'd always want to know what happens next, or movies
and tv. But I'll try to go back to the basics regularly and brush up my weak points, as
well as reinforce the strong ones. My short-term mini-goal with Russian, as it was with
Japanese, is to lose the English once and for all, and enjoy the language in just the
language. In Japanese, my understanding of kanji has helped a lot; it was as if I was
almost cheating without really looking up words in the dictionary. I just guessed the
meaning. All the more reason to love Kanji. I don't have that with Russian, however, so
I guess I'll start using Google images again, as a way of transitioning from the
Russian-English, dictionary. Or use LR, which is probably the closest to getting a fast
grasp on the most common words, and then go from there.

I don't know where I am level-wise, and I'm really curious to know how much I
know/don't know, roughly. So I'll also log the materials I've covered, and try to keep
track of word count, or use the online reading meter.

I know I probably sound redundant by now, disappearing for months on end and then
setting goals that I keep repeating. I'm not going to repeat all of that again, it's
becoming embarrassing. So, off to study some language and catch up with the rest of you
all!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4604 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 159 of 162
07 September 2014 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Hey Woodsei, how have your goals worked out so far? I am also back to Russian and Japanese (after some flirts with Portuguese and Korean), so it would be good to hear about your progress soon! Keep going!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 160 of 162
08 September 2014 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
Woodsei, so good to see you again - No, do not worry about repeating goals. I have had as a goal for the last
three years to Finnish Assimil Russian - but I am still only half way :-)

I know from the 6wc that your capacity to work rad us mind boggling, so once you get around to it you'll do
amazing :-)

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version