russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4501 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 337 of 439
19 November 2013 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Typing Kanji (or Hanja for Korean) is easy I think - you type in the word in kana and you click on the converter and it gives you a list of Kanji (Hanja) which you can insert for that word. So you just write it phonetically (for Hanzi you use pinyin input I think) and c'est tout, you have a converter in your keyboard bar at the bottom.

Yeah, but I won't be able to recognize if that's the right one for the word that I want.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4493 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 338 of 439
19 November 2013 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
In Korean, you don't really need Hanja so much though. You can (and in North Korea you
WOULD) write in Hangul only. I'm not sure about Japanese, but recognising some characters
should be fine. I wouldn't bother with writing them out by hand because I would only ever
do that if I was writing a handwritten letter... which I do like twice in my life.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4501 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 339 of 439
28 November 2013 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
Hey guys!

I'm surprised to see that lately I've been quite consistent with my studies. I'm doing one Russian lesson per week on Italki, and now I'm watching the series based on the book "Idiot" by Dostoyevsky. It's actually very interesting so far!

Also, I spoke for at least half an hour in French yesterday at the CouchSurfing meeting! There was a French girl there who didn't speak Portuguese, and we spent almost all that time in French. My listening comprehension was better, but it may have to do with the subjects that we were discussing, which were rather basic.

Also, I'm maintaining one Assimil Dutch lesson a day, but only on work days.

I know it's not much, but just for you to know that I'm alive!
3 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4501 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 340 of 439
02 December 2013 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
J'ai eu un merveilleux vendredi! Mes amis du travail et moi sommes allés à un bar pour un "happy hour", et une de mes amis du CouchSurfing est venue aussi. Elle est française, et il était super pour moi, parce qu'elle ne parle pas très bien le portugais et plusieurs fois je devais faire la traduction portugais -> français et vice versa.
En tout, nous y sommes restés presque 5 heures et j'ai parlé en français au moins 1,5 de ceux. =) C'était bon aussi parce que je comprenais tout ce qu'elle me disait. Yay!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4493 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 341 of 439
02 December 2013 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
Excellent! On progresse vite, je vois!

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4501 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 342 of 439
03 December 2013 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
@Tarvos Merci, mon ami!

---

Apparently, I'm not a very focused guy... hahaha I've been toying with Japanese for the past few days, and it's very fun! Firstly I was trying to finally learn the Hiragana alphabet (just like with Arabic), then I said "Whattahell, why don't I start trying the Michel Thomas course, just to see how it works." (just like with Arabic), and now I've just finished the first 2 CD's ¬¬ (just like with Arabic).

One thing that I've found veeeery interesting is Japanese grammar. It might seem confusing, but the particle system seems very very logical for now (of course, I'm just at the beginning, and I don't even know if I'll go on with it). However, I can already make a sense out of it, and each new language that I learn,, I'm more sure that grammar is (mostly) just Math, or at least closely related to it in a way...

But fear not, my friends! I'm still following my schedule with at least 1 Assimil Dutch lesson a day =) Aaaand today it's CS meeting day, so I'll probably speak some French with my friend(s)!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 343 of 439
03 December 2013 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
Bien fait! Je suis très fière de toi!

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4501 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 344 of 439
13 December 2013 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
@Cristina Comme toujours, merci beaucoup! =)

So my friends, I think now it's time for the:

----

TAC 2013 Final Report

Wow, this has been such a crazy and especially busy year! I F-I-N-A-L-L-Y finished university, became officially an Engineer, moved back to São Paulo to live alone with my wife, got a new - and great - job..... and improved a lot in the language field! =)
Let's split it by language.

Русский:

With Russian is kind of complicated. Like I told here before, I had an "agreement" with my wife that we'd speak Russian at home each day that I went to the gym (haha). Well, it didn't work out that well because after she got her new job, she'd come home tired and "not in the mood" to speak Russian with me.
Anyway, I started taking Russian lessons again with an Italki teacher, more of a conversational lesson, and it's helping a lot.

All in all, I didn't reach C1 level as I intended, but I'm aware that I didn't put the necessary amount of effort into it. On the other hand, sometimes I feel that I'm more confident when speaking it, even if I don't know many new words and structures.
I always have plans, like, to read one Russian (put the language name here) text a day, but after 3/4 days I stop doing it. I hope that I'll keep up with this in 2014, and maybe finally reach a solid C1. I count on you guys to help me keep motivated! =)

Français:

French was definitely 'the' language of 2013 for me. I started studying it in November/December 2012 with a quick course at my university, and then continued on with Assimil French With Ease. The Assimil book is awesome, and it helped me a lot improving my French from an A0/A1 level to my current B1. I think I could even have reached B2 if I had had more time and put more effort into it, because it being a Romance language, my Portuguese and Italian helped enormously!
Now I can have conversations in it, like I had some weeks ago with a French friend, being her translator for my Brazilian friends, and being able to maintain a conversation for about 1 hour and a half. I'm really proud of it =)

Nederlands:

Dutch was supposed to be my 2nd main language this year, and for the last 2 months it has actually been my main language of study, but I didn't do much besides one Assimil lesson each work day, being now on lesson 70. I didn't improve my level much, I'm still somewhere close to the same A2/B1 where I was, and I hope to improve it next year, or leave it for a while in order to dedicate myself to German. I'm not sure yet, let's see!

Italiano:

I didn't do much for Italian this year, except some movies, chats with friends and one lesson with an Italki teacher, which made me realize that my level is still pretty good, since the teacher was impressed by the fact that I've never been to Italy =) It's still my favorite and beloved language, and it'll always be =)

العربية

It was a good experience, a pleasant wanderlust for a while, but unfortunately Egyptian Arabic didn't work out for me. I've already exposed the reasons here, so I guess there's not much to talk anymore.

日本語

Japanese? JAPANESE!?
Yes, I know, I know.... it's Egyptian Arabic all over again, isn't it?
Erm... actually, no!
I don't know if you guys know, but São Paulo has the biggest Japanese community outside of Japan. The Japanese culture has always been quite alive here, be it with anime on the TV, manga, the food (I love yakisoba! But hate fish =P).... and I've always had many Japanese (descendants) friends at school, and used to hang out with them, so every now and then I could pick up a word like "batchan", "okasan", etc.
Also, I've known Katakana since I was a teenager, when I learned it in order to translate the football players' names of my Playstation 1 Winning Eleven game =P

Now, coincidentally, I moved to a Japanese neighbourhood, and after all this things dragging me into Japanese, I decided to give it a shot! It became as a harmless wanderlust with Michel Thomas, but I was fascinated by the language and its grammar, so I'll start studying it officially, and I'll even join the Japanese team in 2014!

Exactly one week ago I started with Michel Thomas and now I've almost completed the course. I already know a lot of grammar structures and sentences, but veeeeery little vocabulary and zero kanji (although I know most kana already), so I'll have to work on that with a textbook when I complete this course. I'll probably have to review Michel Thomas, and note things down, but I love it and I think it's a great way of getting a good head start in any language. If you know any good book for Japanese, please let me know! I'm thinking of buying the well known "Japanese for Busy People", but if you have another suggestion, feel free!
Wish me luck with Nihongo!

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version