Joined 4484 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 345 of 439
13 December 2013 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
Nederlands:

Dutch was supposed to be my 2nd main language this year, and for the last 2 months it has actually been my main
language of study, but I didn't do much besides one Assimil lesson each work day, being now on lesson 70. I didn't
improve my level much, I'm still somewhere close to the same A2/B1 where I was, and I hope to improve it next
year, or leave it for a while in order to dedicate myself to German. I'm not sure yet, let's see!

It's quite an accomplishment to maintain a language outside of the countries where it is natively spoken. I think just
that in itself is great! And hopefully on Team Dutch we'll all soar to even higher heights next year.

Congratulations on all your language learning success in 2014 :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5128 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 346 of 439
13 December 2013 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
[...]
Wish me luck with Nihongo!

Good luck with Nihongo! ;-)

With both you and Josquin in the early stages of leaning Japanese I’m so tempted to follow suit thus forming a de facto mini-Japanese team inside our great Russian team. Grrrrrr….. wanderlust is my weakness! And I’ve just said I shouldn’t bite off more than I can chew. No, no, no, I must be strong and resist!!!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 347 of 439
14 December 2013 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
What about German, fabricio? No room for it on your 2014 schedule?

The more you say about French, the more I feel tempted to try some Italian. Sometimes
when chatting I can come up with full Italian sentences without looking up the
dictionary, just by filling in some gaps with either French or Spanish. OTOH, there are
still so many new languages that there's only room for German as my brush up language.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5337 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 348 of 439
16 December 2013 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
It's great to be serving on the same space station together again in 2014 - космические мужья русских жен объединяйтесь! I also recall watching the series Идиот a while back and getting about half way through it. It would be interesting to give it another go and see if I understand anything beyond the visuals and a few lucky phrases this time... *lol*

I've heard that there are lots of Japanese communities in Brazil, and vice versa, and got the chance to meet several cool Brazilian Japanese whilst living in Tokyo - and my God, they spoke fast Japanese!! I can also relate to your situation of living in or near a Japanese neighbourhood, as Honolulu often seems to be largely an exotic prefecture of Japan at times. :)

Wishing you and your wife a great Christmas and New Year (it's almost time to start thinking of which salads to make, and of course, getting out that copy of Ирония Судьбы)!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 349 of 439
16 December 2013 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
Hm. There will be a meeting in Tokyo in my organisation in 2015 that I might possibly be allowed to go to. And I got three shiny Japanese courses on my shelf. Perhaps I should... No I should not. I will follow your progress with great interest though:-)

nandemonai
Diglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3954 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 350 of 439
24 December 2013 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
I've used Japanese for Busy People 1 & 2 in my evening classes. They did their job well as an introduction to
Japanese, but I found the dialogues in it quite boring. I personally prefered Genki 1 & 2 which I used on the
side. I've got the third book of jfbp as well, but I don't think that one is worth it. The dialogues in it are very
specific and about not so everyday stuff (while you still got a lot of everyday vocabulary to learn at that point).

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4496 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 351 of 439
24 December 2013 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
@Hekje Thanks! Last week I've had the opportunity to talk in Dutch with 2 people, and I felt very comfortable both times! I made many mistakes and didn't know some words, but still it's was a great motivation booster. Let's learn Dutch this year!

@Emme Ahahaha thanks! I found out that Japanese is very very fun actually. I'm fascinated by their grammar now! Join us! \o/

@Expugnator I'm not really sure. I wanted so bad to do German some months ago, but now some of my friends who were here went back to Germany, and I started doing Japanese. I still want to do German, but I'm not sure when. You should learn French though! The Assimil book for it is great!

@Teango Ahaha it's actually a little hard for me, since they use Dostoevskiy vocabulary, but my Italki teacher sends me the texts to follow, so I can follow about 50% of it without problems, and the rest you can usually get by the context.
Yes, a looooot! But I hope I'll have the opportunity to practice it in the future! Thanks man, you too! =)

@Cristina Like I told Emme, you should try it! Michel Thomas is addictive, I've noticed that =P

@nandemonai Good to know nandemonai! I started using JDBP 1 now, the kana version, but I'll take a look at Genki 1. Thanks for the recommendations! I'll probably need more in the process =)

----

TAC 2014 - Plans

Excluding English, here are my plans for all my languages in 2014:

Italiano:

I'll probably do the same as this year, just maintain watching many movies, chatting with many people and hopefully using it in real life at the CouchSurfing meetings. Also, me and my wife are planning to go to Italy in 2014, we're not sure yet, but a guy can dream =)
Current level: C1-
Expectation: C1

Русский:

Hopefully by the end of 2014 I'll have reached a solid C1 level, like I intended this year. I'll continue having lessons with my Italki teacher, watching movies and trying to speak it as often as I can.
Current level: B2
Expectation: C1

Français:

I found out that I love to speak in French, and now I have a lot of French friends from my CouchSurfing meetings here in Brazil, so practicing it live won't be a problem at all. Also, I love French cinema, so I'm sure I'll be watching a lot of movies!
I wanted to have classes on Italki, but the teachers there for French are usually more expensive than the other ones, so that's discarded for now.
Current level: B1
Expectation: B2+

Nederlands:

I wasn't so sure about Dutch last week, but like I told Hekje above, I've had the opportunity to talk in Dutch with 2 people since then, and it was a great motivation booster! It's much more fun talking to people than just studying... actually, that's the whole point!
Current level: A2/B1
Expectation: B1+/B2-

日本語

I've just completed Michel Thomas for Japanese and now I'll start with Japanese for Busy People, and maybe Genki or other books. I'll try to watch as many Japanese movies as I can, and maybe practice it in my neighbourhood, since I live in a Japanese one. I've very excited about it now, and I hope to still be at the end of this year!
My only fear is that I love to read, and the kanji may annoy me to a level where Japanese will start irritating me, like trying to read advanced Russian books does.
Current level: A0/A1
Expectation: B1

English:

Improve my accent, as always, and learn learn learn. I won't put an expectation because this is more of an eternal marathon.

Deutsch:

I'll put German on the top of my wishlist, and if I ever feel tired with Japanese or Dutch, I'll probably try to put some German into the mix. But I won't put an expectation here as well.

Español:

No plans for Spanish, nothing, nada.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4496 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 352 of 439
30 December 2013 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
Starting with my 2014 plans in 2013 already!

Today I had a French lesson with an Italki teacher, and it went much better than I expected! I found a reasonably priced French teacher and decided to give it a shot. As I said before, I sometimes have some trouble understanding spoken French, but during the lesson I could understand most of it, about 95%! Yay! My teacher said that he didn't feel like talking to a French learner, that's a big compliment =)

Besides that, I've been managing to make my Japanese studies an everyday thing, which is great! I'm still in that phase where all I want is to learn more, each new thing is exciting and studying is a delight, I love it! The only thing that annoys me is the perspective that I'll have to learn Kanji someday.... I took a look at that famous textbook "Remembering the Kanji", just to see that they teach the Kanji such as "gall bladder" and "concave" in lesson 2!! I mean.... WHAT!? Anyway, it won't be a problem for a while, so no need to really worry about it.

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version