Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4554 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 353 of 439
30 December 2013 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
That's the thing about RTK. Its order has an internal logic, but it's not based on the frequency or usefulness of
the characters. Instead Heisig introduces elements of characters, or "primitives", and then introduces all the
characters that can be made from the elements that have already been memorized (the only major exception
from this ordering is that RTK, like pretty much every other kanji learning guide, starts from the numerals). If
you need a kanji learning guide that will let you read simple texts right away, then RTK isn't for you. What it
does instead is ease you into knowing the shapes and approximate meanings of the characters in a way that
builds on prior knowledge.

Edited by vonPeterhof on 30 December 2013 at 7:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4497 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 354 of 439
30 December 2013 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
@vonPeterhof Hummmm I see, good to know!
So would you recommend any other guide, with an order more based on "usefulness"? Like you said, being able to read simple texts would be great! Anyway, thanks for the insight!

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 355 of 439
30 December 2013 at 4:37am | IP Logged 
I thought that RTK was amazing. I used it a long ways back when I thought I might get a job in Japan. I learned to
recognize and write a couple hundred Kanji in basically no time (as well as to use a Kanji dictionary), after which I
could scan Japanese news headlines and know what a good number of them were about. No, that's NOT the same
as "reading simple sentences," but it seems like for me it would be the best way to get past the beginner
"everything is opaque" stage to the "I can do extensive reading for AJATT" stage as quickly as possible.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4554 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 356 of 439
30 December 2013 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
So would you recommend any other guide, with an order more based on "usefulness"? Like you said, being able to read simple texts would be great!
No, sorry, since I used RTK myself I'm not all that familiar with other guides. But then, if you've learned all the kana and got a headstart in grammar and vocabulary with an audio course like Pimsleur or MT, I suppose kanji isn't essential to start some simple reading, e.g. kana-only children's texts or shounen manga with furigana. Being able to recognize the kanji would give you a major boost though.

IIRC the folks over at the Reviewing the Kanji forum came up with something called "RTK Lite", which applies the logical framework of the Heisig method to a smaller number (~1000) of more essential kanji. Maybe that way you can get the best of both worlds, but I wouldn't know since I've never tried it.

Edited by vonPeterhof on 30 December 2013 at 7:42pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 357 of 439
01 January 2014 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro, would you mind sending me the profile of your italki French teacher
through pm?

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4497 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 358 of 439
01 January 2014 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
@geoffw @vonPeterhof Thank you guys. I guess I'll stick to RTK then. I'll probably just continue with Japanese for Busy People, and try to put in some Kanji every week.

@Expugnator I can put it here, if someone else want it. His name is Simon, and this is the link for his profile
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 359 of 439
01 January 2014 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, I've scheduled a test session.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4497 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 360 of 439
07 January 2014 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Hey guys!

Just a quick update: Jan Van der Aa in Brazil:

I haven't told you, but I met one of the famous Youtube polyglots in person this week!! Jan Van der Aa was traveling around Brazil, and I found out that he was going to stay in São Paulo for 4 days. I contacted him, and at first we started having Dutch-Portuguese exchanges on Skype, while he was in another state, and we finally met when he came to São Paulo.
An odd coincidence: São Paulo is one of the biggest city in the world, maybe the 3rd, and he happened to stay hosted in my neighborhood, 100 meters from my place! Haha it was crazy! Last Friday we had dinner with my wife, then on Saturday I went to show him the city around al little bit, and we recorded some videos for his channel: the first one was his 'subscription' video for the new #Add1Challenge, in the second one I interviewed him in Portuguese, and on the last one we talked about how traveling to the country might help you with motivation, this one both in Dutch and Portuguese.
Anyway, Jan is a great guy and is was awesome to meet him in person. I'll post the videos here when he upload them.

Now, about Japanese:

I've been taking the lessons with "Japanese for Busy People", which I like very much so far, but I'm thinking on changing to "Genki". I feel that I'm only learning the formal part with JFBP, while Genki seems to teach more about the informal speech. What do you think about it?

I'm also listening to JapanesePod101 everyday, and it's great! Much better than I expected also... I just have to start putting new words and sentences into Anki, otherwise I'll just forget them.

Last, but not least, tonight it's the 1st CouchSurfing meeting of the year, and I'm pretty excited! Hopefully I'll have the chance to put my languages in practice!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version