Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4502 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 378 of 439
31 January 2014 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Wow, so many compliments! Ahahaha Thanks a lot @geoffw, @Hekje, @Expugnator and @renaissancemedi!! I liked the book club idea! Haha

---

So, tonight is finally the last day of my programming course! I'll finally have more time for languages =)
I guess the only languages that weren't very affected by my course were Japanese and French. Japanese, because I kept listening to podcasts on my way to and back from work; French, because I was reading Amélia Nothomb's book on the subway and during the weekend, all the others were put in a limbo, from which I intend to take them out now!

Anyway, today I wasn't very excited with studying, so I decided to look for some Japanese music and I've found some pretty nice rock bands! In addition to the ones I alread knew, such as "Tsukiko Amano", "One Ok Rock" and "Scandal" are the ones that come to my mind right now, but Japan has a pretty decent rock scene apparently. With Dutch and French it's been more than a year and I still haven't found anything that I really like....maybe some Max Boublil and some Blof songs, but it's not the same.
1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4502 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 379 of 439
06 February 2014 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
Hey guys!

Now I can say that I'm a happy fellow again. I'm back to the CouchSurfing meetings! Hahaha After 2 weeks that seemed like 2 months, I finally went there on Tuesday and it was great as (almost) always. Due to the fact that it's FREAKING HOT in Brazil right now, most of the people weren't inside the bar, but in front of it, on the sidewalk, having some beers, caipirinhas, talking and having fun. It was great! And I managed to speak a little in Dutch, French, Italian and Spanish, and made some new friends!

About Japanese, I have a question. At which point it's ok to start reading Japanese material? Are there graded readers for beginners? I know I've only been learning it for about a month and probably won't get most of it, but still, I was wondering about that....

Thanks a lot!

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5903 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 380 of 439
06 February 2014 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
My boyfriend who just recently started with Japanese downloaded the Level 0 graded reader app by White Rabbit Press for his iPad. They also have book versions on their website. I have personally used their level 3 and 4 books and I find them really enjoyable. I think that even after a month of studying you will be able to understand what the stories are about because they have pictures as well.

I personally have found that my Japanese has improved a lot thanks to reading so I hope the above mentioned links will be useful for you :)

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4634 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 381 of 439
07 February 2014 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
Yes, Japan has an amazing rock industry.... unfortunately for me. :)

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4502 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 382 of 439
09 February 2014 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
@Hasi Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately I don't have an Ipad/Iphone and it's not available for Android =/ Thanks anyway!

@kujichagulia Why unfortunately? =)

----

Guys, I'm thrilled!!!

Today I had my first Italki lesson for Japanese, which was also my first conversation in Japanese ever, and it went great!!! It was much much better than I expected!
The teacher was great, a very nice person, and the lesson was like 85% in Japanese!!! Not that I could understand all of it... far from it... but if I could get one or two words, the context helped a lot and I could give a broken (but understandable) answer hahaha

Anyway, I'm still far from being able to have a good conversation without many "hummm's", but it was a great first experiece and I'm really excited about it! =)

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4452 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 383 of 439
10 February 2014 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
Anyway, I'm still far from being able to have a good conversation
without many "hummm's", but it was a great first experiece and I'm really excited about
it! =)

It's really easy to take the next step and turn those "hmmms" into "ええと"s. I think that
most of what my tutor hears is "ええと" :-)

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4502 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 384 of 439
14 February 2014 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
@dampingwire Hahaha good tip! Thanks!

---

CS meeting and languages

Hey guys!

Another CouchSurfing meeting went by, and it turned out to be one of the best ever!!!
I was pretty excited since the weather was very nice (and by that I mean 3/4 weeks straight with temperatures around 34ºC), so I really needed a beer =P
Anyway, after a couple beers I had lost all my shyness and could already speak freely (it doesn't necessarily mean correctly), and it was then that I had one of the best conversations in Russian in my entire life! Not the subject, but I felt that my flow was very nice, and we spoke for almost half an hour only in Russian (we = a girl from Moscow called Olga and me).

After that, I still spoke a lot in Italian with an Italian cook who lives in Australia, and surprisingly a lot in Spanish, with a very nice Paraguayan guy that lives here in SP. But the best part of the evening (apart from Russian) was with a very very nice Korean girl, who I found out to be a sub-celebrity or something like that in South Korea! She's a writer, and apparently she has a best selling book, a Facebook page with 10,000 likes and Youtube videos on her channel with tens of thousands of views. She even climbed Kilimanjaro and Everest!!! I was amazed by it hahaha and we had a very nice talk for quite a while. Unfortunately I don't speak any Korean, but still, she was a very nice person and I'm very glad we've met!

Japanese

As for Japanese, about the same, Genki + JapanesePod101, but now I feel like I'm getting into a less solid ground for me, with more advanced sentence structures and lots and lots of new vocabulary, which I'm having a hard time remembering. I don't think making wordlists is the best way to learn vocab, but I can't think how I can learn words in context right at this point, since I probably won't be able to read anything (so every other word will have to be "learned in context", which doesn't make sense). Using mnemonics helps a lot, but it's not always easy to find a good correlation between words.

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version