Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4475 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 33 of 439
06 February 2012 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
@Serpent I'll try that, it might be a great new thing. =)

Update time, guys!

RUSSIAN:

It might be the 6WC, but I'm really putting more effort into Russian! That's great to notice =)
Yesterday we had our 2-weekly Team Sputnik conference on Skype, and the new dynamic worked, with the texts to read. We should do a more advanced one next class. Also, we introduced ourselves in Russian one more time. I wonder how will it be with the native Russian. Maybe next time?

Also, in 2010 I bought 2 Russian course books in Moscow (the same collection, but Beginner and Intermediate), it's called "Русский Язык" by Овсиенко. The beginner book is not so good, but the intermediate one seems to be great. It's all in Russian and mostly with original Russian texts that you must read and translate. There are also some exercises. I'd already done the 2 first lessons 6 months ago, but now I decided to give it another chance.
Last night, before going to sleep, I read the 2 first lessons again and noticed that my Russian was a little better back then (at least with some complex vocabulary, my grammar is better now). Again, it really seemed that my wife was enjoying watching me study Russian. Today I'll take the 3rd lesson, let's see how it goes =)

DUTCH:

Yesterday I took my wife to a "make up techniques" course she was taking, and coming back home in the car, I listened to the audios from the Assimil lessons 20 to 30 and did some shadowing. I noticed that I forgot some vocabulary, so before going to lesson 34, I'll review the most complex words.

However, the nicest Dutch fact occurred during the Team Sputnik Skype conference. I met our team member @tarvos, and he's a very cool Dutch guy. After the conference, we had a very nice chat about Brazilian and Dutch football, and also about rock, and completely in Dutch! Again, I barely used Google Translate! Though I can't really speak Dutch yet, at least I can read and write it (the intermediate things) with almost no problems.
Thanks @tarvos!

ENGLISH:

As always, more "How I Met Your Mother".
I've watched a movie called "Drive" with Ryan Gosling. A little slow, but a great movie anyway!
Also, pretty much the whole Team Sputnik Skype conference was in English, so it counts!

SWEDISH:

Swedish!? Ahahah Yes! Actually, I've watched a Swedish movie called "Män som hatar kvinnor" in Swedish, but with Portuguese subtitles. Nice to know that I could recognize a word every now and then, some from English, some from Dutch and even some from Portuguese.

I really want to start learning a Scandinavian language after Dutch/Russian, and though Norwegian is a little ahead in my thoughts, Swedish won some points this weekend =)

That's all, folks!

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 06 February 2012 at 2:05pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5316 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 34 of 439
08 February 2012 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
I can completely relate to drifting off in Russian films after 20 minutes when I only started learning the language (the first time was "Stalker", and in all honesty, I really had no idea what on earth was going on lol). But now I've acquired a modest foundation in the language and can understand snippets here and there, it's much more fun watching films together with my better half (and sorry I missed your question earlier...yeah she's Russian). Maybe you could search out some Russian comedies and popular children's series or cartoons on YouTube to get the ball rolling initially (this helped me a lot). :)

And snap...I watched "Män som hatar kvinnor" (with English subtitles) for the first time last week too. I'd put this movie on hold in the vain hope of reading the book in the original first, but finally gave in to the temptation - good film!

Edited by Teango on 08 February 2012 at 11:29am

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4475 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 35 of 439
08 February 2012 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
@Teango Hey man! =) Yeah, I see what you mean, but I use to do that with boring movies (and that was one, at least its beginning =P). I'll post an update later today, and I'll tell there about other movie that I've watched (the full movie now! yay!).
About the "Män som hatar kvinnor", I also liked it! Now I want to watch the new American version, some friends of mine said it's even better than the original, let's hope!

@Isabliss Muuuuuito foda esse episódio! Aahahaha To no meio da 6ª temporada agora, e já tiveram mais alguns ótimos, como o do "Blitz".

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5316 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 36 of 439
08 February 2012 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
About the "Män som hatar kvinnor", I also liked it! Now I want to watch the new American version, some friends of mine said it's even better than the original, let's hope!

Haha - that's what my mates keep telling me as well! Apparently it's a much smoother and more rounded production etc, although I suspect the extra 77 million dollars didn't hurt here. I'll definitely get around to watching this new version later, but having only just enjoyed the original and with the plot still fresh in my mind, I think I'll wait a bit first.

Edited by Teango on 10 February 2012 at 12:46am

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4475 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 37 of 439
09 February 2012 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
Let's update!

RUSSIAN:

Remember that book I told you guys about on the last update? ("Русский Язык" by Овсиенко) It is an AWESOME book, indeed.
This week I've done Урок 3, and as I said before, they always use good Russian texts, and difficult ones! I was proud enough for being able to read about 75% of it without the dictionary.
Each lesson has its "new vocabulary words" (from which I knew 0% =/) in the beginning, then the "main text", followed by exercises, famous quotes in Russian about the lesson theme, an explanation on the new grammar used in the lesson, more exercises, another text for self-study and finally a song lyric or another quotes. Uff!
From the 2nd text I could read about 95% without the dictionary (maybe because it was easier, but hey, cut me some slack =P).
I was reading (and translating) it at work, so every now and then I had to put it away as my boss would pass behind me, but I'm still an employeé so I think it's all ok =P

I've also watched 2 Russian films. The first one is actually Swedish, but 90% of the movie is in Russian, the actors are Russian, and the rest in English. There's almost no Swedish. It's called "Lilya 4-Ever", and it's a fine movie, though very sad.
The other is now one of my favorite Russian movies, called "О чём говорят мужчины". VERY funny, a great comedy. I watched with my wife and she loved it as well.
I've watched both of them with Englih subtitles, but trying hard to focus on the spoke language. In the first movie I could understand most of what was said, probably 80%! Yay! The second one was MUCH harder, the guys spoke very quickly and using some slangs, so if I've got 30% of it, I'm happy enough.
Since I used English subtitles, I only put a percentage of the film duration to my 6WC chart.

I've also already downloaded 3 more Russian films and I'll be watching them on the next few days.

Finally, I've listened to more Michel Thomas advanced. I'm now in the middle of the 4th and last CD, and I can say that I've learned nothing new. This Michel Thomas for Russian is not nearly as good as the Dutch one. Anyway, it's a good practice for my mind.

DUTCH:

Nothing new. I read more football news on "De Telegraaf" online, and chatted with a Dutch friend.

ENGLISH:

As always, more "How I Met Your Mother" with my wife.
I've also watched some of my favorite TV series: "Supernatural", "Grey's Anatomy" and "Californication".
On the 6WC, I'm putting the whole episode duration for "How I Met Your Mother", because I watch it in English and using English subtitles, stopping every now and then to catch a hard word. For the other I'm putting 50% of the duration, since I use Portuguese subtitles.

Sorry for the big update, and that's it for today!

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 09 February 2012 at 10:49pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4467 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 38 of 439
09 February 2012 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
Fabricio, ik weet niet hoe goed je begrepen Nederlands is, maar naast de Telegraaf kun je voor voetbal ook "Voetbal International" raadplegen, wat een tijdschrift is (maar ook online).

Het alternatief is "Algemeen Dagblad" (maar dat is een verschrikkelijke krant) of "de Volkskrant" of "NRC Handelsblad", maar dat zijn meer kwaliteitskranten, wat minder tabloids.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 39 of 439
09 February 2012 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:

On the 6WC, I'm putting the whole episode duration for "How I Met Your Mother", because I watch it in English and using English subtitles, stopping every now and then to catch a hard word. For the other I'm putting 50% of the duration, since I use Portuguese subtitles.

Isch. Then I need to add at least 40% to my total studied time too, because I only put up 50& of Bones time, even though I also watch it with English subtitles only. I thought we had to only list part of the film time, damn.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 40 of 439
09 February 2012 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Fabricio, ik weet niet hoe goed je begrepen Nederlands is, maar naast de Telegraaf kun je voor voetbal ook "Voetbal International" raadplegen, wat een tijdschrift is (maar ook online).

Het alternatief is "Algemeen Dagblad" (maar dat is een verschrikkelijke krant) of "de Volkskrant" of "NRC Handelsblad", maar dat zijn meer kwaliteitskranten, wat minder tabloids.
Thanks!
@ Fabricio, you can also read Dutch footballers' twitter accounts, that's my main source of Dutch, hehe. Van der Vaart is about to start his own magazine too.

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version