Joined 4501 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 49 of 439
22 February 2012 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
It's update time!

RUSSIAN:

Well, remember that surprise party for my wife's girlfriend on last Thrusday? Saturday was the "real" party, and I could pratice a little more Russian with the girl's dad and other "Soviet" girlfriends of my wife. I didn't talk to him so much as on thursday, but all in all I spoke Russian for almost 30 minutes!

Finishing what I'd begun on the last post, I've finished (at work =P) Урок 5 from my "Русский Язык" by Овсиенко book. At home, I've also finished Урок 6, but I'm having some trouble remembering all vocabulary. Of course, many "new words" are useless for me now (like "solemnly" or "divine worship") and I don't give them much attention, but it happens with some others as well. It seems that there are too many new words, and I can't fix some of them, maybe for being to similar to others, I don't know. Maybe I'm just going through it too fast...

I've also watched a Pixar movie "Ratatouille" in Russian, with English subtitles with my wife. We loved the movie, but it was almost impossible for me to understand most of it. Incredibly, I understood more of a Russian adult movie ("О чём говорят мужчины") than of this child movie.
I'll try to follow Teango's method of watching as much Russian movies as I can. I've watched half of a very interesting documentary on Youtube, "Всë о Космосе", about the Universe, all planets, our galaxy, etc (I love this kind of astronomic material). It has no subtitles at all, but most of it is understandable by the context.

Just to put a cherry on the cake, I talked to some Russians via SharedTalk and Livemocha and they all said that my Russian is very good! I know they can't tell it for real, but anyway ahahaha With Russian I tend to use Google Translate more than when talking to Dutch people, for example, but for those basic conversations I almost never use it.

DUTCH:

Not much, not much. I listened again to the last Assimil lessons and I'm now on lesson 34. I've already listened to its audio file some times and I was proud enough to notice that after 5/6 times I could understand pretty much everything, except some new words. Now I'll continue to the book part.

I've also talked to some Dutchies via Livemocha and SharedTalk, and again, read some online football news.

Does anyone know any good Dutch TV series or something like that? The only way for me to understand spoken Dutch is to listen to it as much as I can, but it would be better with some good content and not just news.

ENGLISH:

Finished "How I Met Your Mother"! I can say now, no doubt, that it's my favorite comedy series ever! More than Friends, Scrubs, Two and a Half Men....
Now we've started rewatching HBO's "Game of Thrones". I'd already watched it before, but my wife hasn't, and since the show is coming up for the 2nd season in April, we decided to watch it together. Already 3 episodes down, more 7 to go!
Also, I've watched my weekly "Supernatural", "Californication", "The Big Bang Theory" and "Grey's Anatomy".

GREEK:

Yes, Greek! I went to the mall with my wife, and since I really loooooove (pfff) going shopping, I stayed at the bookstore while she spent our family's money (just kidding, love of my life! =P).
I went to the language learning section, and there was a very nice Greek book there. I sat and started reading it, finished the 1st chapter, and now I can read the Greek alphabet! Ahahaha It's not a big deal, since it's relatively close to ours and Russian alphabets, but it's something I always wanted to know but never had the time/opportunity to get started with.
Of course I won't be starting with Greek any time in the next 10 years, maybe never will, but learning the alphabet and being able to read some of the book's examples was a fine recreation!

That's it for now! =)

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 22 February 2012 at 6:29pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 50 of 439
22 February 2012 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Greek is wonderful! I tried it last year and absolutely loved it! Unfortunately I have forgotten most of it again,
but I am hoping to go back to Greece this year, and will take up Greek after I have been in Ukraine in April.
I need to focus on Russian up until then. If you watch all the series in English it must do wonders for your
English! Films are underrated as a learning medium.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4501 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 51 of 439
03 March 2012 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
@They do, Cristina! My listening comprehension is pretty good, and I'm learning new words and expressions while watching them with English subtitles. I'll try to do it with Russian, just as Teango does.

------

After a long while, it's update time!
Sorry for the long wait, but on last week I was organizing everything because me and my wife moved out of my parents' house to a small rented flat in the city of my university. It's not much, but enough for us, at least until I finish uni =)

RUSSIAN:

I've finished Урок 7 from my "Русский Язык" by Овсиенко book. Also, I started again copying my "The New Penguin Russian Course" into my notebook. Writing things down helps me remember, and this book is the best I came across so far.

Finally my university's started! I'll have SO MUCH work to do, so I don't think I'll be able to keep the challenge up as until last week, but I'll try my best.
Along with university classes, my "Russian 4" classes have also started this week, and I've had already 2 classes (2 hours each). My teacher's started to talk in Russian with us, which is a little challenging sometimes, but I could understand pretty much everything =) Also, we watched some small Russian videos, like cartoons, and trasnlated Brazilian songs into Russian with the help of a dictionary. He's one of the best teachers I've had in my life, so I trust that by july my Russian will be much better!

As always, I talked to some Russians via SharedTalk and Livemocha. I'm using less Google Translate, but not always I can understand everything, specially when the conversation goes towards subjects like international economics, Russian/Ukrainian government, etc. But I'm still proud =)

DUTCH:

I've finally had time to finish Assimil's lesson 34. It wasn't too hard, nor too easy.

I'm proud to say that I've had my first (real) conversation in Dutch this week! =) I met a guy on Livemocha, we moved on to Skype and we've had an 1 hour conversation, half of it in Dutch and half in English/Spanish. He said my accent is pretty good, and he understands me well, ad most important, I could understand more than 80% of what he said! =) He probably was using very simple vocabulary, but his accent was very good to understand and follow. I hope to do it more, when I have some time! And maybe with other Dutchs (Are you there @tarvos? =P) but for the 1st time it was a great experience! =)

I've also talked to some Dutchs via Livemocha and SharedTalk, and again, read some online football news.

ENGLISH:

Still following my series, now weekly "How I Met Your Mother", and also "Game of Thrones", "Supernatural", "Californication", "The Big Bang Theory" and "Grey's Anatomy".

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4493 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 52 of 439
04 March 2012 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
Ты знаешь, я всегда здесь :)

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4501 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 53 of 439
15 March 2012 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Well, my exams haven't started yet, but my uni is already killing me! I barely have time for myself, but I haven't given up on my language learning!

RUSSIAN:

Finished copying another "The New Penguin Russian Course"'s lesson into my notebook. It helped me with a lot of new words! Also revised some words in the other book. It's really easy to forget them!

My Russian classes at university continue. We've learn all the indefinite forms like -то, -нибудь, -либо and кое-. Now we're revising numbers and how to use expressions with days, weeks, months, years, etc.

I'm already missing teh 6WC. It helped A LOT with motivation. Now I have "no reason" to study more and more hours ahahaha anyway.

DUTCH:

Not much! I've finished Assimil's lessons 35 and 36, both quite easy.

I've also talked to some people via Livemocha, and that was it.

ENGLISH:

Still following my series as always, and now me and my wife started watching "Friends" from the first episode. Almost 20 years later (man, I'm getting old!) some references are quite hard to get.

ITALIAN:

This week has been very special for me with Italian. I've read the whole Zlatan Ibrahimovic's autobiography in Italian, in 3 days! The book is called "Io, Ibra", and he tells almost everything about his life, the hard childhood, becoming a star. He seemed a very problematic guy for me, but he's a great winner and player.
Reading it in Italian wasn't a problem at all. There were like 10 words every 5 pages that I didn't know the meaning, specially verbs, but most of the time I could imply their meaning using the context, and if not, Google Translate was there!

I loved this experience, and I intend to do the same with Dutch or Russian, maybe reading Harry Potter or an easier book.

God, how I love Italian! =)

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 16 March 2012 at 3:37am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 54 of 439
16 March 2012 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
ohhh Zlatan<3 i'd rather read his book in the original hehe. I read Forlán's biography for January Tadoku, planning to read Cavani's too<3 Also about to get some Benfica books<3

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4489 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 55 of 439
16 March 2012 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
Does anyone know any good Dutch TV series or something like that? The only way for me
to understand spoken Dutch is to listen to it as much as I can, but it would be better with some good content and
not just news.

There's tons of good stuff available on Uitzending Gemist (http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl). Omroep Maxim is an
offbeat human interest show that I personally enjoy. If you enjoy reality TV at all, Wie is... de Mol? is also solid, and
there are backlogs of past seasons available on the same website for free.

Other well-known programs of varying quality include De Wereld Draait Door (talk show), Boer Zoekt Vrouw (sort of
the Dutch version of The Bachelor), and Man Bijt Hond (absurdist humor).

Enjoy!

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
Joined 4501 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 56 of 439
17 March 2012 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
@Serpent Awesome! But are they biographies or autobiographies? I liked Zlatan's more because it's an autobiography.

@Hekje I'd already found that website and it's really great! I'll try to watch the shows you said =)

----------------

Guys, just a quick update! I'd forgotten to put here my final 6WC charts! I ended up in the 16º position. Of course I wanted more, but I consider the job well done. I did learn a lot =) So, the final points were:

RUSSIAN......3190 (53h10).....46.03%
ENGLISH......1985 (33h5)......28.64%
DUTCH..........945 (15h45).....13.64%
ITALIAN.......810 (13h30).....11.69%

I didn't count Swedish or Greek because I'm not really studying them currently.

Arrivederci! =)

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 17 March 2012 at 11:54pm

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version