Joined 5129 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 361 of 439
11 January 2014 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
[...]

I've been taking the lessons with "Japanese for Busy People", which I like very much so far, but I'm thinking on changing to "Genki". I feel that I'm only learning the formal part with JFBP, while Genki seems to teach more about the informal speech. What do you think about it?

I'm also listening to JapanesePod101 everyday, and it's great! Much better than I expected also... I just have to start putting new words and sentences into Anki, otherwise I'll just forget them.

[...]

I’m treasuring all your reflections about the early stages of learning Japanese! When the time comes for me to tackle this fascinating language I’ll certainly profit from what I can glean from your posts. Keep up the great job!
1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4497 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 362 of 439
16 January 2014 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
@Emme Good to hear that! =)

---

So, another CouchSurfing meeting went by, and it was my last one for some time, since I'll be taking an evening programming course for the next 2 weeks. Luckily, it was a great one! I managed to practice almost all my languages! Besides a lot of English and Portuguese, I spoke some Russian, French, Italian and Dutch with natives =)

As for Japanese, I'm still keeping my Add1Challenge promise/goal of studying at least 15 minutes a day. Actually, I'm usually doing much more than that, maybe 1 to 1h30 hours a day, and I'm really enjoying it! Most of what I do now is listening to JapanesePod101 and making vocabulary notes (which I'll probably input into Anki soon), but I also started with Genki textbook (after quitting "Japanese for Busy People") and it's great! I recorded my first video for the Add1Challenge in Japanese, and I'll be posting it here as well after editing it. It's quite basic, with simple sentences mostly, but it's a start, and also it's gonna be a great point of comparison in the future to measure my improvements (or not) =P

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4485 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 363 of 439
16 January 2014 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
Besides a lot of English and Portuguese, I spoke some Russian, French, Italian and Dutch
with natives =)
Nice!! Good job fabriciocarraro! :-D

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5764 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 364 of 439
16 January 2014 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:

I've been taking the lessons with "Japanese for Busy People", which I like very much so far, but I'm thinking on changing to "Genki". I feel that I'm only learning the formal part with JFBP, while Genki seems to teach more about the informal speech. What do you think about it?

Good question! I think that the first volume of Japanese for Busy People moves far too slowly since it completely avoids kanji and anything but です・ます forms, and on the whole I think this is a mistake. I think the pacing of the first few chapters in Genki are a lot better. However, I think the third volume of Japanese for Busy People is a much better textbook for starting to cross from upper beginner to intermediate than the second volume of Genki. If you're already making good progress and enjoy using Japanese for Busy People, you could always continue as you are and learn about informal speech from other sources, such as the JPod101 lessons.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4497 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 365 of 439
19 January 2014 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
@Hekje Thanks!! =D

@g-bod Wow, thanks for the insight! I agree that JFBP is too slow, and I've quit it the moment I found out that they only taught things like すき on the last lesson, and that they don't even mention the informal (dictionary) form of verbs.
Now I'm using Genki 1, let's see how it goes! =)

------------

Japanese

Hey guys!

I have finally recorded my first video in Japanese for the Add1Challenge.
After about 3 weeks of Japanese study, this is my 1st video in the language. I know that I speak reaaaally slowly and that I still have to think a lot before saying anything, but I think it's gonna be a good point of comparison for my Japanese level by the end of the challenge. At least I hope so!

In this video I just wanted to introduce myself, and show you a little bit of my city, São Paulo, Brazil! (and sorry for repeating the city name every 20 seconds hahaha)

Here is the link for the video!

ありがとう!

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4447 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 366 of 439
19 January 2014 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
@g-bod Wow, thanks for the insight! I agree that JFBP is too
slow, and I've quit it the moment I found out that they only taught things like すき on
the last lesson, and that they don't even mention the informal (dictionary) form of
verbs.

Now I'm using Genki 1, let's see how it goes! =)

I've never even looked at JfBP1 but I did read through JfBP2 after I'd already been
through みんなの日本語 I & II. JfBP2 didn't present any problems, although there was some
new vocabulary. It seemed "lighter" and didn't emphasise the grammar so much. It also
didn't seem to go as far as みんなの日本語 II. I've since had a 30 min peek at someone
else's JfBP3 and nothing that I saw there was new to me. So I guess that JfBP3 gets you
to somewhere just beyond JLPT N4, probably about the same as みんなの日本語 II. Speaking
to the chap who's currently working through JfBP3, it doesn't cover 敬語 at all and it
concentrates on です・ます; the informal forms are covered only where necessary.

I've no experience at all with Genki so I'll be interested in what you think of it.

Sizen
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4121 days ago

165 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Catalan, Spanish, Japanese, Ukrainian, German

Message 367 of 439
19 January 2014 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:

Japanese

Hey guys!

I have finally recorded my first video in Japanese for the Add1Challenge.
After about 3 weeks of Japanese study, this is my 1st video in the language. I know that I speak reaaaally slowly and that I still have to think a lot before saying anything, but I think it's gonna be a good point of comparison for my Japanese level by the end of the challenge. At least I hope so!

In this video I just wanted to introduce myself, and show you a little bit of my city, São Paulo, Brazil! (and sorry for repeating the city name every 20 seconds hahaha)

Here is the link for the video!

ありがとう!

Really great first video! I didn't start speaking much until after a year of studying Japanese, and my pronunciation was abominable, but I think you're off to an excellent start. :)

If I may, I just have one little piece of advice. The way I hear it, you're doing accents on most words like you would in English, Spanish or Portuguese. Like niHOn and BIdeo and poddoKYAsuto. There shouldn't be so much a rise in intensity like this in Japanese. It's flatter, with the accents only really being changes in pitch. It's not all that bad, but it does affect your pronunciation of some words. For example, you say podokkyasuto and not poddokyasuto and when you say nijuugosai, the ni is too long.

A very relevant piece of advice that I was given a few years ago is to be very careful with the numbers 2 (ni) and 5 (go), because most of the other numbers are 2 mora long or geminate in front of some counters (unless you're using the alternatives for 4 [shi] and 9 [ku]). Anyway, because all the other numbers are 2 mora long, many people have the bad habit of elongating the vowels of 2 and 5 when used with counters: niishuukan instead of nishuukan and gouhon instead of gohon.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5764 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 368 of 439
19 January 2014 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
I've since had a 30 min peek at someone else's JfBP3 and nothing that I saw there was new to me. So I guess that JfBP3 gets you to somewhere just beyond JLPT N4, probably about the same as みんなの日本語 II. Speaking to the chap who's currently working through JfBP3, it doesn't cover 敬語 at all and it concentrates on です・ます; the informal forms are covered only where necessary.

You must have had a mistaken impression of JfBP 3. It definitely covers both 敬語 and informal forms. The informal forms are first introduced in JfBP 2, with more information about the different styles of speaking and writing in volume 3. 敬語 is covered towards the end of JfBP 3. I expect you're right that it covers similar ground to みんなの日本語初級, a textbook I have no experience with. Arguably Genki does too, but I found it's focus on lives of college students over working adults to be ultimately limiting in terms of situations and vocabulary covered compared to JfBP.

I found JfBP 3 really helped to clear up some gaps in my knowledge after I'd used Genki. Some of the information about different usages of style and register (including mixing of registers) was really valuable and lacking in Genki. There were also some things I picked up from the book which showed up in the exam when I sat N3 - although I must stress that JfBP alone will not prepare you for that level of the test, it's just a starting point. My only real complaint about JfBP 3 (in contrast to the other volumes) is that they still don't use enough kanji.

This discussion contains 439 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version