Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
76 messages over 10 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 9 10 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6230 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 49 of 76
15 July 2012 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations! Your success is well-deserved.

Have you looked into whether the rules will allow you to attend the Junulara E-Semajno in
Eastern Germany at the end of the year?
1 person has voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5109 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 50 of 76
15 July 2012 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:

hribecek: How funny! Kamo ćeš u Hrvatskoj putovati? Da li si učio pomalo hrvatski za putovanje?

Čú putovati na Korčulu i do Dubrovníka i možda do Splita i više umjesta. Još neznam točno. Učim pomalo hrvatski, ali još skoro ništa neznam. I ovaj odgovor bilo je vrlo težak i upotrijebio moj nov hrvatski rječnik.

I haven't learned how to use a Croatian keyboard, so I used a Czech one instead, so excuse my use of the wrong č in the first word.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4619 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 51 of 76
15 July 2012 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
@prz_ I'll be in Croatia for just under a year, about 11 months. I'm very much looking forward to it -- 39 days left!

If everything will go well, I'll also visit Croatia this summer - but just for one day ;)

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5902 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 52 of 76
16 July 2012 at 5:36am | IP Logged 
@Sprachprofi: Dankon! I can't imagine that it would be against the rules, but I'll have to check once I'm actually there. It might come down to whether or not I can afford it, though, since I'm already planning on taking a trip up to London and the Netherlands in November.

@hribecek: Tvoj hrvatski je prilično smiješan (ali na dobar način)! Čini mi se mješavina hrvatskih i čeških jezika, a jesam međutim razumio. Nadam se da uživaš tvoj boravak u Hrvatskoj, siguran sam da će ti se sviđati!

Rhadryn
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5143 days ago

53 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, French
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Latin, German

Message 53 of 76
25 July 2012 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
Hi Ellasavia, I read your logs from the beginning of 2011 to the present and I was really inspired. I started my own log and cited and linked you as the inspiration--I hope that was okay (I don't know much about forum protocol).

I'm sure you're having a productive summer, but if you find your progress discouraging, just remember that I and others really want you to succeed in your studies and it's never too late to do better--especially as you already started so much earlier than most of us!

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5902 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 54 of 76
23 August 2012 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
Weeks 28-33: July 8 – August 18

Total Study Time This Period: 29.19 hours
Total Study Time in 2012: 333.18 hours

Well it’s August 22nd, so 24 hours from now I will be sitting at my gate in the Denver airport waiting for my flight to Frankfurt, Germany on my way to Croatia! And by Friday evening (European time), I’ll have arrived in beautiful Hrvatska!

Not too much has happened since I last wrote here. With the exception of the first few days of the current 6WC, the summer laziness has persisted to a strong degree. I turned 18 a few weeks back (on the opening night of the Olympics) and am extremely ready to embark my first true experience of living abroad. Vidimo se u Hrvatskoj!

Hrvatski
This Period: 11.92 hours
2012 Total: 108.12 hours

Recently I haven’t done much studying of any language, but Croatian has been the least neglected of all of them. So that’s something, right? In any case, most of my Croatian time has come from reading and writing emails to and from my Croatian host family, whom I will finally meet the day after tomorrow. :) Aside from that, I have completed lessons 8-15 from Assimil Le Croate Sans Peine. At this point I feel relatively confident reading and writing Croatian (at least at the level required by my email exchanges), but I don’t have any idea how I’ll fare with the spoken language once I actually arrive in the country. Let’s just say that I’ll probably be practicing the phrases “ne razumijem/nisam razumio” (I don’t/didn’t understand) and “molim vas, govorite sporije” (please speak more slowly).

Ro
This Period: 6.17 hours
2012 Total: 6.17 hours

Inspired by a lovely book I was reading that took place in Romania and the possibility that I myself might go to Romania sometime in the next few months, I decided to go with Romanian for my 6WC target language. What a delightful and beautiful language!

In terms of Romanian study (which I did largely in the first few days of the 6WC, after which I lost my focus again), I have completed the first nine lessons of Teach Yourself Romanian and the first 24 lessons of Assimil Le Roumain Sans Peine. I progressed very quickly through these since I had previously completed them over a year ago. After that, however, the only study I’ve done is Anki reviews, but it’s better than nothing. Furthermore, my Romanian books are among the small selection from my language library that I’ve chosen to schlep across the Atlantic to Croatia with me, so I hope that that will ensure that I continue to study it in the future.

Español
This Period: 2.97 hours
2012 Total: 10.08 hours

Recently I haven’t done much with Spanish, but around the beginning of July I began watching a Spanish telenovela called El Barco that a friend recommended to me. I enjoyed what I’ve seen of it thus far, but I had sort of forgotten about it up until now and haven’t watched any more of it.

OTHER
Last week I completed a short Uzbek mini-course with a friend of mine. It was very fun, and though it only taught a small bit (almost all of which is now forgotten) and was likely oversimplified, it gave me an interesting snapshot into the O‘zbek tili.

@Rhadryn: Thank you for the comment and your encouragement!

Edited by ellasevia on 23 August 2012 at 2:00am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 55 of 76
23 August 2012 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
I am sure you will have a fantastic time, and that you'll be absolutely fluent in Croatian by the time you finish.
And I am relieved to see that I am not the only one to have been unfocused lately :-)

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5109 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 56 of 76
07 September 2012 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
Hi Ellasevia.

So how's it going in Croatia so far? Are you as immersed as you probably hoped you would be or does everybody speak English to you? Sorry if you're busy adapting to your new life but I'm really interested to hear anything about it.

Needless to say, I hope it's going great and you're getting to use Croatian all day every day and managing to avoid English as much as possible.

This discussion contains 76 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version