Michael K.
United States
Joined 5489 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 9 of 26
06 January 2012 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Judith. I found that link on my own yesterday on Enrique's site (the gentleman helping me in my Esperanto log). I also copy & pasted the German, French, and Spanish versions of "Le Petit Prince."

I also spend too much time surfing the web or doing nothing in particular. My goal this year was to not go more than 2 days without studying my languages and so far I've been able to keep that goal less than one week into the year. Really as long as I don't get bored with languages and spend a month away from studying I'll be happy.

I'm not really comparing myself to other people, since I've come to terms long ago that there are more talented people out there than me. It's just that I think I'm not living up to my potential and could do more, which irks me. I know from university that 2 hours is the most I can study or read, after that my brain feels like it's turning to mush. I've also been trying to keep a journal to try to guilt me into doing more, and I think it's effective.

Since I don't want to hijack Volte's log, I'll ask a few questions.

Do you ever read about exercise physiology in Esperanto? I'm still at a very early stage and wouldn't even think of reading anything technical in Esperanto, but of your interests that's the one thing we might have in common. I read the wkipedia articles on "stochastic" and "Markov processes" and couldn't make heads or tales of it, just that it has something to do with probability. I was thinking about going into healthcare but found out that's not a good fit for me and now I'm thinking about technical writing. It couldn't be academic level literature, but something more around the high school level.

How have you found Japanese? I mentioned in my Esperanto log that I'm interested in Japanese culture - the traditional culture, not the pop culture - but I'm not sure if I want to learn the language.

What makes Swahili attractive? I guess if I'm going to be dabbling in languages I might as well try an African language, and Swahili is probably the most widespread African language.   

Of the languages you've studied, which one did you find the hardest and why?

What languages do you want to use French-based Assimil for?

Thanks.

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 26
10 January 2012 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
The year's off to a slow start. I'm still sick, and avoiding pronunciation exercises because my throat hurts.

I've done a few small things, though.
a) I've read 120 pages in German. I decided to give up on the book at that point; it was tedious and heavy-handed.
b) I've tried Arekkusu's self-talk exercise with German, and recommend it.
c) I've listened to Sprachprofi's introduction to Swahili (in Esperanto). It's rather persuasive.

Michael K. wrote:
Thanks, Judith. I found that link on my own yesterday on
Enrique's site (the gentleman helping me in my Esperanto log). I also copy &
pasted the German, French, and Spanish versions of "Le Petit Prince."

I also spend too much time surfing the web or doing nothing in particular. My
goal this year was to not go more than 2 days without studying my languages and
so far I've been able to keep that goal less than one week into the year. Really
as long as I don't get bored with languages and spend a month away from studying
I'll be happy.

I'm not really comparing myself to other people, since I've come to terms long
ago that there are more talented people out there than me. It's just that I
think I'm not living up to my potential and could do more, which irks me. I know
from university that 2 hours is the most I can study or read, after that my
brain feels like it's turning to mush. I've also been trying to keep a journal
to try to guilt me into doing more, and I think it's effective.

Since I don't want to hijack Volte's log, I'll ask a few questions.

Do you ever read about exercise physiology in Esperanto? I'm still at a very
early stage and wouldn't even think of reading anything technical in Esperanto,
but of your interests that's the one thing we might have in common. I read the
wkipedia articles on "stochastic" and "Markov processes" and couldn't make heads
or tales of it, just that it has something to do with probability. I was
thinking about going into healthcare but found out that's not a good fit for me
and now I'm thinking about technical writing. It couldn't be academic level
literature, but something more around the high school level.

How have you found Japanese? I mentioned in my Esperanto log that I'm interested
in Japanese culture - the traditional culture, not the pop culture - but I'm not
sure if I want to learn the language.

What makes Swahili attractive? I guess if I'm going to be dabbling in languages
I might as well try an African language, and Swahili is probably the most
widespread African language.   

Of the languages you've studied, which one did you find the hardest and why?

What languages do you want to use French-based Assimil for?

Thanks.

Nope, haven't read anything substantial about exercise in Esperanto. I like Japanese, but have studied it far too little. Swahili has fun grammar, it's a fairly widespread language, and Sprachprofi keeps suggesting I try it.

Which language have I found hardest? Hard to say; I've studied some a lot more than others.

As for French-based Assimil, I suppose my secret desire would be to use all of the courses that are of reasonably high quality, though I won't actually do so.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5489 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 11 of 26
11 January 2012 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for answering my questions.

I've heard Swahili was fun to learn, but then again I've heard the same thing about German and several other languages. I could only understand bits & pieces of Sprachprofi's video.

Thanks for the links. Get well soon.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 12 of 26
12 January 2012 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:
Thanks for answering my questions.

I've heard Swahili was fun to learn, but then again I've heard the same thing about German and several other languages. I could only understand bits & pieces of Sprachprofi's video.

Thanks for the links. Get well soon.

You're welcome. Work on your Esperanto; the video is quite good.

Any language can be fun to learn.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5489 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 

Message 13 of 26
12 January 2012 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I need to work on my Esperanto.

I don't know if Sprachprofi explained in her video or not, but she proposed in the Esperanto subforum that other Esperantists make videos explaining the grammar of other languages. I think it's a good idea.

I agree any language can be fun to learn. I'm really enjoying Esperanto and the other languages I've been trying to learn.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6916 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 14 of 26
17 January 2012 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
Volte, I've been trying to send a PM to you about the Northern Saami primer but your PM box is still full. Let me know.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 15 of 26
17 January 2012 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Volte, I've been trying to send a PM to you about the Northern Saami primer but your PM box is still full. Let me know.

Sorry about that. I've finally cleared some space. Thank you!

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 16 of 26
17 January 2012 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Progress so far: primarily on German reading.

I picked up a couple of books in the airport, and have finished a play, Gerhart Hauptmann's "Vor Sonnenaufgang". Between characters that speak in dialect and characters with heavy speech impediments, my comprehension was mixed; I'm not really used to the likes of "Na - verlecht a klee wing wull au oam Ende. A hoot mersch Been geknet't: sahn Se, asu geknutscht un gehackt un... oaber nee!!", which doesn't get clearer when the character in question is also a heavy stutterer.

I'm wending my way through "Eine Kurze Geschichte der Sprachen", a chapter at a time; I'm not really getting into it, and it's a translation into fairly difficult German, compared to most books I've seen in German. It is easier than "Vor Sonnenaufgang"; it's readable, just not absorbing.

Wanderlust has also struck; I spent about half an hour reading about Northern Saami in Norwegian today. I haven't really done any Norwegian, but between my rusty reading knowledge of Swedish and some other Germanic languages, I was generally following along; wordlists were a lost cause, though.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version