Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5879 days ago

248 posts - 326 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese

Message 1 of 6
03 January 2012 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Hello all,

I'm contemplating a move to Bangalore in the near future, and would like to learn Kannada while I'm there, which is the local language.

However, I have been unable to find resources for learning this language through materials from the typical Western language-learning-material-producing companies. A search on this forum also yielded nothing, I'm afraid.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Best,

Vikram
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5072 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 6
03 January 2012 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
Wikitravel Kannada Phrasebook seems to be somewhat extensive . Learn Kannada in a Month from Amazon.com might serve as an intro. Kannada Online course ($50 or 500 Rs for 18 months) and Total Kannada could also be helpful- the Total Kannada site talks about two books called "Kannada In My Pocket" and "Kannada Through English. The Central Institute of Indian Languages has a free course originally intended for correspondence for Indians wishing to learn Kannada through English- registration required but appears to be free: Learn Kannada.

This is what I gleaned through a "learn Kannada" google search. Hope this helps.

Edited by iguanamon on 03 January 2012 at 8:10pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

vikramkr
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5879 days ago

248 posts - 326 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese

Message 3 of 6
03 January 2012 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot!
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5821 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 4 of 6
03 January 2012 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
A lot of language materials are published in English in India itself, so you'll have more options once you're in situ. So if the stuff you can get your hands on now isn't too brilliant, don't worry, just get on with it and get another book once you're there!
3 persons have voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5218 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 5 of 6
04 January 2012 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
There's some basic lessons and a grammar of spoken Kannada on this site.

They also provide of pdf scan of Spencer's Kanarese Grammar (revised edition of 1950). It's a lesson-based grammar with vocabulary lists and exercises but it seems to be oriented towards written Kannada.

Edited by akkadboy on 04 January 2012 at 12:26am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4559 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 6 of 6
04 January 2012 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
I've seen a recent report on the supposed decline of interest in learning Kannada in Bangalore. In Bangalore you can live with Hindi and English, just like in Mumbai (which is a Marathi city), and unlike in Chennai. People that are not Cannarese don't bother with the language. Being so close to Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh, there are many Tamil and Telugu speaking people who never learn Kannada.

Bollywood actresses Lara Dutta (native language: Hindi) and Deepika Padukone (native language: Konkani) lived in Bangalore for many years, and their knowledge of Kannada is almost none.

Why Bangalore girls don't speak in Kannada, their mother tongue?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111005140139AA Qt48u

Preserving kannada in Bangalore?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090529094722AA qmPNp

''Well more people in Bangalore speak Hindi that Kannada. So there is no reason for anyone to learn Kannada. And also Kannada is not useful outside Karnataka. So why should anyone learn it.?''

What professors in Bangalore think of teaching Kannada:
http://www.dnaindia.com/bangalore/slideshow_lingua-fracas-it s-kannada-vs-english_1277875-6#top

"Although basic knowledge of Kannada is important it shouldn't be forced on people. Knowledge of English and Hindi is good enough."
- Nimisha Jain, teacher, Windermere High School, Magadi Road

"English has become part of our Indian psyche. It has penetrated our homes as a language used by the family to communicate."
- John J Kennedy, associate dean, Humanities and Social Sciences, Christ

"Kannada as the medium of instruction is impractical. Our children will be travelling extensively around the globe."
- Victoria S, teacher, Windermere High School, Magadi Road

Edited by Camundonguinho on 04 January 2012 at 2:18am

4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version