Groupie
Poland
Joined 6149 days ago

44 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English

Message 41 of 123
07 February 2012 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
Quote:

Dziś poszedłem do banku, żeby coś wysortować i potem wróciłem do domu i miałem duży obiad. Dzisiaj
wieczorem idę na kolację do nowego pobu z kilku przyjacielami. Jestem bardzo zmęczony obecnie, bo ten
tydzień byłem/jestem(?) dość zajęty i nie spałem/śpię(?) dużo.

Dziś poszedłem do banku, żeby coś wyjaśnić. Potem wróciłem do domu i miałem duży obiad. Wieczorem idę z kilkoma przyjaciółmi do nowego pubu na kolację.(W tej chwili) jestem bardzo zmęczony, ponieważ w tym tygodniu byłem dość zajęty i mało spałem.

I'll write more later.

Edited by tozick on 07 February 2012 at 1:44am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ligador
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4750 days ago

81 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 42 of 123
08 February 2012 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
La Sombra del Viento es un buen libro supongo (al menos las 100 páginas que ya he leído), pero te insto a que escojas Cien Años de Soledad o El Amor en Los Tiempos del Cólera para leer. Ambas novelas son de García Marquez, un escritor célebre y verdadero maestro de la lengua hispana. Ambas me gustaron, aunque son largas y/o dificiles debido a que el autor emplea su amplio vocabulario. Pero todo se puede con ganas! Te lo juro, no te arrepentirás.

Edited by Ligador on 08 February 2012 at 12:57am

1 person has voted this message useful

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5353 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 43 of 123
10 February 2012 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Tozick - Firstly, as always, thank you very much for your detailed reply. I just have a quick question on the
meaning of the adjective ‘śliczny’ - as when I used it in the sentence to describe my teacher - ‘a nauczycielka
była śliczna’ - I wanted to express that she was lovely, in the sense of warm, friendly and a very likeable person.
Not gorgeous as in related to looks. Does śliczny not express this?

And with ‘nie móc doczekać się’, do these following sentences work? (just so I know that I’m using it in the right
way) - Nie mogę się doczekać jechać do Polski - Nie mogę się doczekać widzieć moje przyjaciół. Do they sound
alright?

And lastly does the verb 'wysortować' not really translate to 'to sort out'? Or is 'wyjaśnić' (to explain, clarify)
simply a better way of expressing that and the verb a Pole would use in order to convey 'to sort something out'?

Ligador - Gracias por las sugerencias. He leído Cien Años de Soledad en inglés hace unos años y creo que leer
ese libro en su lengua original sería bien difícil (pero muy gratificante). Algún día seguro que lo leeré en su
original, pero ahorita, pienso que primero tengo que desarrollar mucho más mi vocabulario antes de que lo
intente. Sin embargo tengo en mi habitación su libro Memoria de mis Putas Tristes que no es muy grueso ni
parece tan difícil en su lenguaje, por lo tanto quizás sea un buen libro suyo con el que empezar. ¿Has leído
alguno de sus libros de cuentos?

tozick
Diglot
Groupie
Poland
Joined 6149 days ago

44 posts - 69 votes 

Message 44 of 123
11 February 2012 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Tozick - Firstly, as always, thank you very much for your detailed reply. I just have a quick question on the
meaning of the adjective ‘śliczny’ - as when I used it in the sentence to describe my teacher - ‘a nauczycielka
była śliczna’ - I wanted to express that she was lovely, in the sense of warm, friendly and a very likeable person.
Not gorgeous as in related to looks. Does śliczny not express this?

Nope, 'śliczny' refers strictly to looks. If you want an adjective for someone who is likeable I think your best bet would be 'sympatyczny' - similar to the Spanish simpático. Another one would be 'przesympatyczny' which is something like very likeable or very nice etc. Another word that would convey more or less the same meaning would be 'uroczy' which roughly means charming, lovely, adorable. A couple of others: wspaniały - wonderful, miły - nice, czarujący - enchanting, fascynujący - fascinating. The last one is kind of far from what you meant to say and 'miły' is the 'plainest' of them.

Quote:

And with ‘nie móc doczekać się’, do these following sentences work? (just so I know that I’m using it in the right
way) - Nie mogę się doczekać jechać do Polski - Nie mogę się doczekać widzieć moje przyjaciół. Do they sound
alright?

Hmm... you'd say:

Nie mogę się doczekać wyjazdu do Polski.

Nie mogę się doczekać, kiedy pojadę do Polski.

Nie mogę się doczekać, aż pojadę do Polski.

Nie mogę się doczekać, kiedy zobaczę moich przyjaciół.

Nie mogę się doczekać, aż zobaczę moich przyjaciół.

And slightly modified - Nie mogę się doczekać wizyty moich przyjaciół. (my friends' visit)

So these are 3 ways of saying it. Personally i prefer the ones with a noun - wyjazdu / wizyty, but the ones with 'kiedy' and 'aż' are used quite a lot aswell. That is at least the way people use them.

Quote:

And lastly does the verb 'wysortować' not really translate to 'to sort out'? Or is 'wyjaśnić' (to explain, clarify)
simply a better way of expressing that and the verb a Pole would use in order to convey 'to sort something out'?

Not really. 'Wysortować' is a word that, I suppose, you can completely forget about, at least for now, as it's not any kind of common. I think I've only seen it used a couple of time in some computer data sorting context and I think it's simply because those people were quite literally copying the English verb 'to sort out'. Apart from that I can only think of 'wysortowanie' which is a term in geology which I think is called 'sorting' in English.

Two similar words that are used relatively often are 'sortować' and 'posortować' the first being imperfective and the second perfective. Yes, you'll be right to guess that they mean 'to sort'.

'Wyjaśnić' was the first thing that came to my mind and I think it's the most natural. If there is any kind of problem or something then you go somewhere or call someone, or whatever, in order to 'wyjaśnić problem/nieporozumienie (misunderstanding)'. You could also use 'załatwić' as in 'Muszę coś załatwić' which would mean something along the lines of 'I have to take care of something'.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5353 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 45 of 123
14 February 2012 at 8:10am | IP Logged 
Week 6 - Semana Seis - Tydzień Sześź

Español

Llevo esta semana pasada viendo mucho más televisión española ya que el internet vuelve a marchar bien y así
puedo empezar a ver cosas por internet y también he descubierto que en uno de los canales australianos, cada
mañana sale la noticia de España durante casi una hora, así que cada mañana me he estado levantando bastante
temprano para que lo pueda ver.
El programa por internet que he estado viendo se llama Callejeros Viajeros. Lo encontré hace dos semanas y se
me hace muy bueno. Es un programa de viaje (como quizás ya hayáis adivinado por su nombre) en el que un tío
o una mujer va a una ciudad o parte del mundo, se encuentra con expatriados de países español hablantes y
lugareños y descubre cómo es vivir en ese lugar, qué cosas hay que hacer, qué hace la gente en su tiempo libre
para divertirse, etcétera. Es el mejor sucedáneo por viajar que uno puede hacer mientras no tienes tiempo ni
mucho dinero. El enlace al programa está debajo.
Además los libros que encargué la otra semana de la biblioteca llegaron durante el finde y los recogí ayer, así
que en algún momento durante esta semana voy a empezar a leer La Ciudad de las Bestias de Isabel
Allende, y una vez que lo acabe, voy a leer La Sombra del Viento de Carlos Ruiz Zafón.

Callejeros Viajeros

Study Wise - Read a few things on the internet as per usual, did Anki repetitions and watched Spanish
news. Anki currently at 3568 entries.

Polski

Czytałem o kilkach polskich pisarzach takie jak Gombrowicz i Witkacy i nie mogę się doczekać, aż będę umiał
czytać polskie książki po polsku. Są tak dużo polskich pisarzy, które się interesuję. Już zrobiłem listę, w której
piszę nazwy książek i ważne pisarzy, że myślę brzmieć/brzmią(?) ciekawie.

Coś, który znalezłem wcześniej - stronę internetową o rzeczach robić w Warszawie. Tu jest odnośnik:

Warszawa - Bezpłatna Mapa

I have been reading about some Polish writers such as Gombrowicz and Witkacy and I can’t wait until I’m able to
read Polish books in Polish. There are so many Polish writers that I’m interested in. I’ve already made a list in
which I’m writing the names of books and Polish writers that I think sound interesting.

Something which I found earlier - a website about things to do in Warsaw. Here’s the link:

Warszawa - Free Map for Young Travellers

I attended the Polish above beginners class last week and it went really well! More exercises and active use of the
language than in the other class, and there’s at least one person who is really good and can already converse
rather well with the teacher, which therefore inspires me and drives me to learn harder, which is fantastic. Good
bunch of people too. So I’m guessing this will become a staple weekly activity at least for the first half of the
year.

Something which has been helping me quite a bit with Polish and which I can see becoming more invaluable, is
the website Tatoeba. Which is a site dedicated to providing sample sentences in many different languages. Great
in order to see a word you’re unsure about in use or for a sample sentence to add to Anki. You can find the site
here:

Tatoeba

Study Wise - Currently up to chapter 13 of Colloquial Polish and have 528 entries in Anki. Do zobaczenia.

--------------------------------------

Tozick - Thank you very much for clarifying the use of doczekać się for me and for answering the other
questions as well. Bardzo ci dziękuję za pomoc.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5892 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 46 of 123
14 February 2012 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
Great to hear you're making progress Vos, and are full of motivation. There are indeed many Polish writers whose work I want to enjoy, films as well.

I stumbled across the website Tatoeba a while ago but haven't used it at all. However I can see the potential for practicing writing; by only looking at the English and then trying to convert back into Polish. Because most of the sentences are short the amount of grammar shouldn't be too overwhelming.

Najlepsze życzenia.

tozick
Diglot
Groupie
Poland
Joined 6149 days ago

44 posts - 69 votes 

Message 47 of 123
14 February 2012 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Czytałem o kilkach polskich pisarzach takie jak Gombrowicz i Witkacy i nie mogę się doczekać, aż będę umiał
czytać polskie książki po polsku. tak dużo polskich pisarzy, które się interesuję. Już zrobiłem listę, w której

Coś, który znalezłem wcześniej - stronę internetową o rzeczach robić w Warszawie. Tu jest odnośnik:

1. Czytałem o kilku polskich pisarzach, takich jak, Gombrowicz i Witkacy...

Just a wee problem with cases there.

polscy pisarze
polskich pisarzy
polskim pisarzom
polskich pisarzy
(z) polskimi pisarzami
(o) polskich pisarzach

2. tak dużo polskich pisarzy, które się interesuję.

Jest tak dużo polskich pisarzy, którymi się interesuję.

The verb 'to be' should be in the singular there. While, unlikely in Spanish, we don't always use the singular for 'there is/are' in this context we do. I think it has something to do with the use of 'tak dużo' although I can't recall any rules for it now. A couple of examples(with a slightly different word order to make it easier to compare):

Wielu zawodników jest niezadowolonych. (Many players are unhappy.)

Większość pracowników jest na wakacjach. (Most of the employees/The majority of employees are on holiday.)

Dużo osób jest w budynku. (There are many people in the building.)

Tych uczniów nie ma w szkole. (These students are not at school.)

Niewielu ludzi potrafi sobie z tym poradzić. ( Few people can handle that.)

Kilkoro przechodniów zostało potrąconych przez samochód. (A couple of passers-by were hit by a car)

but

Zawodnicy są niezadowoleni.

Pracownicy są na wakacjach.

Osoby są w budynku (it sounds odd)

Uczniowie nie odrobili lekcji.

Ludzie nie potrafią sobie z tym poradzić.

Przechodnie zostali potrąceni przez samochód.

I tried to give you a couple of different verbs there so that you have a general idea how it works. Basically if the subject of a sentence is a group or there is some kind of quantifier we seem to use the singular. That's all I can come up with for now. If you need more examples or something just let me know.

Btw, in place of 'tak dużo' you could also use 'tylu' or 'tak wielu'.

3. Już zrobiłem listę, w której

There are 2 main problems with this sentence. First, the beginning which sounds kind of like 'I had made a list in which I'm writing names of books and important writers..'. I think it doesn't completely make sense in a way that 'już zrobiłem' implies that it's completed and 'piszę' means that you're in the process of writing.

Moreover, 'piszę nazwy książek i ważne pisarzy' without changing any vocabulary sounds way off. Assuming, though, it was ok it would have to be 'piszę nazwy książek i ważnych pisarzy'.

A couple of ways of saying it correctly, and more naturally.

(Już) zrobiłem listę interesujących książek i pisarzy.

Slightly less simplified:

(Już) zrobiłem listę, która zawiera nazwy książek oraz/i nazwiska pisarzy, którzy wydają się interesujący.

(Już) zrobiłem listę ważnych pisarzy i (ich) dzieł/książek, które chcę/chciałbym/mam ochotę/mam zamiar przeczytać.

pisarzy, że myślę brzmieć/brzmią(?) ciekawie.

Also, we don't really use 'że' in a way in whcih 'that' is used in English. You can't, tehrefore, say 'writers that sound interesting'; it has to be 'writers which...'.

Similarly, we can't just drop 'which' altogether. Saying e.g. 'książki mi się podobały' means something else than 'książki, które mi się podobały'. The second ones refers to some books that you liked while the first one sounds as if there were, say, books, cars, and newspapers and you wanted to say that out of these three categories you liked one of them. If the sentence is longer then with a right intonation you could also mean that you liked the books but you liked soemthign else better etc.

Right i have a lecture in 10 min have to go. If anything is unclear just let me know.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5353 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 

Message 48 of 123
16 February 2012 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Mooby - Hey Mooby, how's things? I really enjoyed reading you piece of Polish writing the other day. Keep it up!
Indeed I am full of motivation for Polish, I'm honestly loving it.

Tozick - Thanks heaps Tozick, I haven't had time this week yet to thoroughly go over and make notes of your
comments as I have a friend staying with me, but will surely do so early next week. Hope all is well.

Question to my fellow Żubrów and anyone in the know - So I've realised that I am tremendously in need of
a/some good Polish grammar/work book(s), one that has a huge amount of exercises and drills, as despite the
book I'm using now being good for learning about the grammar, there aren't enough exercises and drills
which help me to retain it. So if any of you know of any books which sound like what I'm seeking, for example,
have a page of sentences which say, 'fill in the gaps with the word in brackets using the Genetive case... the
Locative etc', or 'use the appropriate case after the following prepositions'/'use the appropriate verb of motion in
the following situations' and so on. I'm sure you all know what I'm after. I'm going to have a search next week
when I have some time and will write up what I find. But if any of you are aware of some good books and have a
bit of time to share them with me, it would be extremely appreciated.

This discussion contains 123 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version