Scotland
Joined 5915 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 41 of 108
19 April 2012 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Cześć Gosiak!
Thanks for your comments. I try to make sure that my vocabulary is relevant (for example I will 'google' words and check them in context). But it's only native speakers, like yourself, who can prevent me from sounding wierd and out-of-date!
I'll adjust my Anki definitions, and the spelling.

Najlepsze życzenia!

Edited by Mooby on 19 April 2012 at 11:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4634 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 42 of 108
20 April 2012 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
I love the word jednocześnie, I don't know why exactly. It's very useful too. But I wonder what is the difference
between jednocześnie and w tym samym czasie...

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4936 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 43 of 108
20 April 2012 at 5:07am | IP Logged 
@Homogenik

I had to ponder on that one for a while.

Jednocześnie is more universal and translates into 'at the same time'. It also translates into 'simultaneously'. It describes coincidence not only in time. When it refers a time it usually means that some things are done together with others. As in 'Tomek potrafi śpiewać i tańczyć jednocześnie'. Time is not of so much importance in such sentences, activities and the way somebody combines them is important.

W tym samym czasie refers to a period of time in which different things happened, it can be a period of a decade but it also can be the same moment.

My explanations are too fuzzy even for me but I am unable to think about something better right now. Please ask questions and I would try to clarify meanings of those expressions again.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5915 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 44 of 108
30 April 2012 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
Anki = 2565
Hours Studied = 32 (Total: 218)

Due to an administrative glitch, I temporarily went 'Not Active' for a few days. Thanks to several moderators, including our very own special-forces-bison, Meramarina, I am now safely back in the herd.
[Survival Tip of the Week: Do NOT change your profile's email address].

I've nearly finished reading Kajtuś Czarodziej ('Kajtek the Wizard') by Janusz Korczak. Written in 1935, it anticipates Harry Potter. Some of the vocabulary is a little dated, as is the word order, but as it was a gift I've persevered.
I've made a start on Colloquial Polish (been sitting on my shelf for over a year), and whizzed through the first two chapters as the material is pretty basic.
Busuu is still useful; the opportunities to practise writing with instant feedback from Polish-speakers is it's main attraction for me.
I'm still plodding on with the TV serial 'Samo Życie' and am up to Odcinek 89. Listening is difficult, even using the pause button, but word recognition has improved and the lapse before comprehension is gradually getting shorter. Agnieszka is as annoying as ever!

Words of the Fortnight
Niejednokrotnie - 'repeatedly', 'many times', 'more than once' e.g I tried calling them repeatedly.
Wbrew - 'against', 'contrary to' e.g contrary to popular belief...
Wstyd - 'shame', 'disgrace'.
Zapobiec perfective - 'to prevent', 'to avert' e.g a disaster, an attack.
Spadaj! - 'scram!', 'get lost!'
Koszmar - 'nightmare'.

Track of the Week
My Polish conversation partner, Dorota, recommended to me this track from a band called ZAKOPOWER.

Pozdrowienia!

Edited by Mooby on 30 April 2012 at 6:24pm

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5376 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 45 of 108
01 May 2012 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
Consistently going well you are Mooby, wonderful to see. Keep up the good work!

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5777 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 46 of 108
01 May 2012 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
I have never in my life been called a special-forces-bison before! Not a bad thing to be - I want include the qualification on my job applications from now on.

Does your list of words have anything to do with frustration about the technical problems :) I didn't really do anything special to get you back, just said some very
nasty curse words to my computer screen, but hey, here you are! It must have done the job.

Niejednokrotnie - I love that word, I want to say it again and again and again etc . . .

Now I need to return to the herd and do some serious Polish work! I was so busy with my writing project that my brain just wouldn't cooperate, but I should have some time now

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5915 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 47 of 108
01 May 2012 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
I have just played a little game I devised called 'verb lucky dip'.

Most Polish verbs have about 90 conjugates if you include things like imperatives and past participles. Sure, I've been learning the infinitives of each verb (the perfective and imperfective), but these forms can be quite scarce. So I need to expose myself to the conjugations. I get passive exposure through reading, but my brain needs to learn how to generate a conjugation from nothing. Hence the game.

Here's how it works:
Every congugate is assigned a number from 1-90(approx.)
For example with the verb czekać ('to wait'):
No.1 = czekam ('I wait')
No.2 = czekasz ('You wait')
No.14 = czekaliśmy ('we waited' at least one male present)
etc.

I want to pick about 8 of these conjugations, to include present, past, future and conditional tenses in the imperfective and the perfective aspects [*perfective doesn't have a present tense of course].
Using a random number generator (i.e a stopwatch of some kind), I can randomly pick a conjugate from each tense, or from the full list of all 90 possibilities.
This is where my brain has to work. Let's say that one of these conjugations is 'She had waited', so now I have to think what the correct conjugation is ('poczekała').

I started today with the first verb I have on my vocabulary list beginning with 'A' which turns out to be 'to achieve' osiągać / osiągnąć. A tricky one! But I got some of the conjugates right (without cheating). I made a few very basic sentences using some of the conjugations and 'googled' them to see how relevant they were.

It took about 20 minutes just for one verb, and I've got hundreds! But I hope I will get faster as I recognise verb patterns and groups with the same endings. Either way, I learnt a few things today. The ultimate step is to generate the right conjugation with the right aspect in the right tense, the right gender, with the right pronunciation, and without undue delay!
Someone please give me a brain transplant.

Edited by Mooby on 01 May 2012 at 5:31pm

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5915 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 

Message 48 of 108
08 May 2012 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Anki = 2575
Hours Studied = 9 (Total: 227)

Just 9 measly hours this week, and a shameful 10 new words.
To make matters worse I'm sitting here having to listen to a dog that won't stop whining. Her name is 'Lucky' (for who? I'm wondering!). Actually she's quite sweet, and I'm only looking after her for a couple of hours while her owner is away for a few hours. Maybe if I try teaching her Polish she'll shut up.
And I'm well behind on my Anki reviews (by about 500).

However I had a productive session with Dorota, my conversation partner, this lunchtime. Whenever I launch into conversation straight away, my grammatical accuracy declines alarmingly. So far I've been concentrating on fluency, but today we concentrated on accuracy.
By slowing things down and looking at the details, I was able to understand a lot more. This is what I wanted to say:

"I was keen to mow my lawn, especially the front lawn because it looked untidy.
But due to the weather, of course (I live in Scotland), the lawn was wet and I
didn't have the chance until yesterday. The grass was still a bit wet but I mangaged
to do it without breaking the lawn mower".

Bardzo chciałem skosić mój trawnik, szczególnie z przodu domu ponieważ
wyglądał nieschludnie. Ale z powodu pogoda, oczywiście, trawnik był mokry
i nie miałem szansy aż do wczoraj. Trawa była nadal zbyt mokra ale udało
mi się skosić ją bez uszkadzenia kosiarki.

Here's a few points I learned from this:

1. 'I was keen to...' is a phrase that can't be constructed in an English-like way. Instead of saying Byłem + adjective (e.g 'keen') we say 'bardzo chciałem' (literally 'I very wanted').
2. In English we can say 'cut the grass' or 'mow the lawn'; in Polish the only appropriate word is 'mow' (kosić / skosić) from the word kosa 'a scythe'. The word for 'lawn mower' is kosiarka.
3. If we use the verb Wyglądać ('to look like' or to 'appear') then it can be qualified using an adverb, but NOT to refer directly to an adjective. In English we can say 'the lawn appeared untidy (adjective), in Polish we must say 'the lawn appeared untidily (adverb).
4. When we say in English 'I managed to do something..' we are saying that we are doing something we have control over. Whereas the Polish conveys the meaning that 'something was managed for me' (something happens to us, or something succeeded for me). This is the case with the verb 'udać się' so instead of udał się we should say udało mi się.

This is the just the kind of exercise I need, in order to learn 'Polishness' (how Polish is contructed) and not just new vocabulary. Ways of expressing myself in my native English, depend on certain word orders, appropriate verbs and the presence or absence of prepositions. I don't need to think about how to express myself using these constructs, and learning Polish would be a lot easier if these constructs were the same, but they're not (always). I can memorise words, learn how to pronounce them and modify them, but I also have to develop a new way of expressing and thinking.. I need a Polish mind, and my English mind doesn't like being displaced, even temporarily!

Words of the Week
Tandeta + Bubel - 'rubbish', 'trash' Used for cheap, unsaleable goods, plasticky junk etc.
Świadomy - 'aware of', 'conscious of'. E.g she was aware of a bad smell in the kitchen.
Białko - 'protein' and 'egg white'.
Skuteczny - 'effective'.
Twierdzić imperfect - 'To claim', 'to maintain', 'to assert'. E.g scientists claim that learning a language makes you....(I'll leave that to your imagination).

Track of the Week
I cheated and looked up the current No.1 in the Polish Charts.
So here have a track by Artur Andrus

Good luck bisons (by the way, check out my new profile photo....:)

Lucky is still whining.

Edited by Mooby on 08 May 2012 at 9:25pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 108 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version