FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6645 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 1 of 41
05 January 2012 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
I was reading a Russian self taught course the other day, published in the 1970s. It said things like "When you visit the Soviet Union..." which I thought was rather quirky. I also have a self taught German course from about 1905 which spends several chapters teaching you to read the old gothic script. Is there anything in old language courses you find interesting?
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 41
05 January 2012 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
A sentence for translation: "By 2000 the population of the USSR will reach 300 mln".

We were doing that exercise in 2006. xDDD
4 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6483 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 41
05 January 2012 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
When I restarted my language learning I used some Romanian and Greek books which I had bought during the 70s or in the first years of the 80s. In both countries there has been a revolution and a spelling reform (in that order), so in Greek I still sometimes feel tempted to write one of the two lost aspiration signs and the two accent signs ( ` and ~) which have been abolished - for instance I still instinctively feel that the genitive plural ending should be written with a tilde. And in Romanian I still feel that there should be î's all over the place (for instance in cîine, dog) and not just in initial position.

In spite of these things I have kept several old dictionaries as they still have some relevant information. For instance my old fat Romanian Academy dictionary is the only one that for each verb indicates whether it has an infix or not - which is an essential piece of information, so I simply don't understand why my more modern dictionaries doesn't supply it.

Edited by Iversen on 05 January 2012 at 12:49pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4739 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 4 of 41
05 January 2012 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
I've heard similar things about old Mandarin courses (Linguaphone?). Unfortunately I do
not own these, but it would be fun to see!
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6936 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 5 of 41
05 January 2012 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
The quirks that I've encountered have been restricted to being blasts from the past for reasons beyond the author's control/knowledge. Here's the most memorable quirk from one of the narratives in one of the Czech textbooks on my shelf:

Sova, Miloš. “A Practical Czech Course for English-Speaking Students”.Prague: SPN, 1962. p. 107 wrote:
"Jaké výsledky mají vaší zemědělci?" ptá se pan Martin, "a které plodiny pěstují?" - "Jednotná zemědělská družstva mají všechny potřebné zemědělské stroje. Jejich členové pracují společně a většinou dobře. Pěstují zvláště pšenici, žito, brambory, cukrovku, zeleninu a ovoce."

"What kind of results do your farmers get?" asks Mr. Martin, "and which plants do they cultivate?" - "The unified agricultural collectives have all of the required agricultural machinery. Their members work together and well for the most part. They cultivate in particular wheat, rye, potatoes, sugar beets, vegetables and fruit."

Ahhh... life on the collective farm where we don't actually have shortages of equipment (that's just counter-revolutionary propaganda, you know) and work in harmony to build communism.
8 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5042 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 6 of 41
05 January 2012 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
I love the dialogs in DLI Portuguese. The course dates from 1969. Anachronisms abound. There are references to travel by ship from New York, telegrams and cruzeiros, among many other anachronisms. I have acquired the language needed for modern life through other means. All in all, it's quite sweet to travel back in time via this course.

"Gilberto Borba and Silvia Leite meet on board the "SS Brasil" which is sailing to South America.
1. Hello, Gilberto, what a surprise! Are you returning to Brazil?
2. No, I'm on a vacation and I intend to be back within three months.
3. Where are you going?
4. I'm going to São Paulo. As you know, all my relatives live there.
5. When was the last time you were in Brazil?
6. It's been seven years. I imagine that there's been a lot of progress since then.
7. Although there are many things that could stand improvement, it can be said that Brazil has progressed considerably.
8. Shall we take a stroll to get acquainted with the ship?"

Edited by iguanamon on 05 January 2012 at 3:22am

3 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6159 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 41
05 January 2012 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
The Assimil Italian without Toil has some very macabre news stories: kids being struck by lightning, people being run over...I alsways wondered why they chose them to include.
3 persons have voted this message useful

psy88
United States
Joined 5371 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 8 of 41
05 January 2012 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
The Cortina French and Spanish courses have quaint vocabulary with references to steamships and the like. Personally, I like them, even though parts are definitely out of date. The Cortina explanations of grammar, however, are excellent.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version