luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5646 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 9 of 35
14 January 2012 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
It sounds like a good start into the semester!

Luai_lashire wrote:
.. And my diet is looking much much better. I'm eating a lot of fruit, slowly working veggies
back in, and I've been having a lot of success taking yogurts onto campus to eat. I feel optimistic about the future...

I've changed my diet up a bit (part of my new yr's resolution) and I already feel better. I think food plays a major role
in learning. I have to do everything I can to keep those kanji from slipping away into oblivion^^

Oh yeah, definitely. I've always found that having more veggies gives me a lot more energy, among other things. I
also have had trouble eating enough food in between classes, so I end up distracted by my growling tummy and
unable to focus on learning. So fixing that is a big priority for me!
1 person has voted this message useful

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5646 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 10 of 35
04 February 2012 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Update time!

Japanese
Anki vocab deck: 718
Anki sentence deck: 152

We've just started chapter 7 of Tobira. I got a 91% overall on the last chapter, so I feel confident I can get my A,
because I know I didn't put much effort into the last one (I was sick a lot). I'm aiming for a 95% overall on this
one.

I both like and dislike Tobira. It's frustrating. There's a huge amount of information but very little to help and
guide you to learn it thoroughly. I feel like I am covering a lot but not really internalizing it. Only the easiest and
most useful bits go into my long-term active knowledge. The organization of the class doesn't help much with
this- the lessons are great but there is too much to cover and too little time to spend making sure you've had
enough practice or giving you a chance to review older concepts. Once we've finished a chapter, many things we
learned during it are dropped and we barely even use them in conversation. I've taken to trying hard to use some
of the older grammar during current classes, but it's hard to do without prompting or without being given
appropriate contexts to do so.
Due to this problem, I've been thinking a lot about ways to complement my use of the textbook. Anki is helping
a lot, but I need more than that. In particular, I want grammar drills. Detailed ones that cover subtle differences
between similar expressions, but ones that are fairly simple to do- not like the ones we get for class, which often
consist of "make your own sentence" exercises. I want replacement drills and the like. I don't know where to find
ones at my level, though. :(

I'm also making a list of my weaknesses, and plan to intensely study and drill them during the summer break.
These include the subtleties of correct particle use, the grammar word "よう", passive, causative, and passive-
causative verbs, and practicing transitive/intransitive pairs. These are all things I can use, but not well, and I'm
often stumped by when and why they should be used. My class has already moved on so I need to study them on
my own.
I also am hoping to make another big kanji push this summer, but it depends on whether or not I try to pick up
French and/or German again because I certainly won't have time for a kanji-fest AND two other languages.

Health Goals
I am making good progress here. I was, sadly, sick as a dog for the past two weeks or so- with two different,
consecutive illnesses, a nasty stomache bug and a head cold. I'm almost entirely better now though. During this
time, I miraculously managed to stay on top of my homework load, although I couldn't manage any "extras" and
therefore fell behind a bit in Japanese since I rely on my extra studying so much. However, my diet got pretty
bad and I stopped exercising for a while. I'm now back on track with both of those, which is a relief because
often it's hard to get going after an interruption. I don't seem to have lost much of what I had gained, either.

So far, I can't tell if the medication is working but I have noticed I seem to have an increased capacity to get
things done, even if I feel just as crummy and stressed. I have been doing more in a day than before- I even
baked muffins which I took to school all week long! And I've been brushing my teeth twice a day! I suspect this
could be due to the medicine, but I'm waiting to see if it goes away- I've had effects like this at random before,
but they don't last more than a month if they're random. If it lasts, it's the meds. That would be very good
indeed.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6438 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 11 of 35
04 February 2012 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
AN INTRODUCTION TO ADVANCED SPOKEN JAPANESE (Kino)
D. Brown, et al
Compiled in l987 at the Inter-University

is a pretty good book for drills. Some of the drills seem pretty easy like positive/negative forms of verbs. But there are also a lot of drills for things like transitive/intransitive pairs, potential, passive, causative, passive-causative, etc. It doesn't look like it's very easy to find, but I found some places that have it. Here was one, but if you google a little, you can probably find others, maybe cheaper.

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5646 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 12 of 35
04 February 2012 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
AN INTRODUCTION TO ADVANCED SPOKEN JAPANESE (Kino)
D. Brown, et al
Compiled in l987 at the Inter-University

is a pretty good book for drills. Some of the drills seem pretty easy like positive/negative forms of verbs. But
there are also a lot of drills for things like transitive/intransitive pairs, potential, passive, causative, passive-
causative, etc. It doesn't look like it's very easy to find, but I found some places that have it.
Here was one, but if you google a little, you can
probably find others, maybe cheaper.

Thanks, I will definitely look around for that! I might be able to get my mom to buy it as a present. ;) Do you
know if the tapes are absolutely necessary? I don't want to reduce the efficacy of the method but the tapes are
pretty dang expensive.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6438 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 13 of 35
04 February 2012 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
Well, I think the tapes are pretty important, but I need the practice for speaking and listening. Since you have access to native speakers and take a class, you might not need them for that.

Almost everything that is on the tapes is also written out in the book, except that it doesn't give the correct response to the drills in the book, which might make it a little difficult. Of course, it's usually easy enough to figure out the correct response if you have time to think about it, but the point of drills is to be able to do it fast and without thinking.

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5646 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 14 of 35
04 February 2012 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
Well, I think the tapes are pretty important, but I need the practice for speaking and listening.
Since you have access to native speakers and take a class, you might not need them for that.

Almost everything that is on the tapes is also written out in the book, except that it doesn't give the correct
response to the drills in the book, which might make it a little difficult. Of course, it's usually easy enough to figure
out the correct response if you have time to think about it, but the point of drills is to be able to do it fast and
without thinking.

Alright, I will try to get the tapes then. I definitely want to know I have the right answer for sure.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5800 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 15 of 35
05 February 2012 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
Your list of weaknesses sounds very similar to mine, particularly correct particles and transitive/intransitive pairs. Passives/causatives are also bad but I get over this by avoiding using them except in a few set phrases like 「よく知られている」. I guess that will catch up with me later though!   

I have started using my vocabulary deck on Anki to drill phrases rather than words or sentences, so I will often pair a noun + particle + verb and then drill it both from Japanese > English and English > Japanese. It's helping a little bit with transitivity pairs and some particles. I find it helps as well to try not to learn both the intransitive and transitive version of a verb at the same time, otherwise I am more likely to get the two confused.

The organisation of your class sounds pretty challenging, how are the other students dealing with it?

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5646 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 

Message 16 of 35
05 February 2012 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:

The organisation of your class sounds pretty challenging, how are the other students dealing with it?

It varies. This semester everyone seems to be getting good grades (there's a place online where I can compare
myself with the average class grade, and it's pretty high), whereas in previous classes there were always a few
people failing miserably; I guess by this level only the hardcore students are left. There's a girl who is absolutely
dismal at speaking though. She has 1 second long pauses between each word and no sense of grammar at all. I
guess she must do OK on homework.

That said, I don't think most of them retain stuff all that well. They get through the lesson. Then anything that
we don't continue to use extensively in class goes right out of their memories. Every now and then the teacher
will bring up some old grammar point in order to compare with something new and you can see the panic on the
students faces when they don't remember the old grammar at all.

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version