United Kingdom
Joined 4592 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 16
05 January 2012 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
I have a few questions about the Assimil Courses

1. Is it worth paying extra to get the newer versions of the course (2008 vs 2002/1998/etc)? Is there any more material worth knowing in the newer version?

2. How long does it take to complete Assimil French With Ease & Assimil Using French (and how long does the "With Ease" take on it's own, as I am looking at one or two other languages?)

3. Is it a good idea to study some French before I start the course? I wanted to do the Michel Thomas course (Basic/Total, Advanced/Pefect, Builder, Vocabulary), followed by the Hugo Complete course (both the "In 3 Months" and "Advanced" courses) beforehand. Would this be advisable, or is Assimil OK on it's own with no prior knowledge?

Edited by Ug_Caveman on 05 January 2012 at 11:46pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5263 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 2 of 16
06 January 2012 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
Ug_Caveman wrote:
I have a few questions about the Assimil Courses.

1. Is it worth paying extra to get the newer versions of the course (2008 vs 2002/1998/etc)? Is there any more
material worth knowing in the newer version?

There are three generations of the Assimil French course:
Assimil French without Toil: 140 lessons (old)
Assimil French with Ease: 99 lessons (not so old)
Assimil New French with Ease: 113 lessons (newish)

The French with Ease and New French with Ease are basically the same course. There are some differences
though: new recordings, new illustrations, some lessons have changed or have been updated, 14 additional
lessons.

As long as it is called New French with Ease it is the same wether it is published in 2008, 2002 or 1998. Just
different covers or bindings or other insignificant changes. Pick the cheapest one.

Ug_Caveman wrote:
2. How long does it take to complete Assimil French With Ease & Assimil Using French
(and how long does the "With Ease" take on it's own, as I am looking at one or two other languages?)

It is one lesson a day for the "active wave". Add 50 days to finnish the "passive wave".

Using French has got 70 lessons.

Ug_Caveman wrote:
3. Is it a good idea to study some French before I start the course? I wanted to do the
Michel Thomas course (Basic/Total, Advanced/Pefect, Builder, Vocabulary), followed by the Hugo Complete
course (both the "In 3 Months" and "Advanced" courses) beforehand. Would this be advisable,

It certainly wouldn't hurt. You can use these other courses either before you start with Assimil or at the same
time.

Ug_Caveman wrote:
or is Assimil OK on it's own with no prior knowledge?

I think it is, but I'm not sure. I have never tried to use Assimil without some prior knowledge.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ug_Caveman
United Kingdom
Joined 4592 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes

Message 3 of 16
06 January 2012 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
What kind of level does Assimil take you to? It says B2 at the end of "Using -"; is that true?

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4699 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 4 of 16
06 January 2012 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
Ug_Caveman wrote:
Is it worth paying extra to get the newer versions of the course (2008 vs 2002/1998/etc)? Is there any more material worth knowing in the newer version?

I like the feel of new books. You're going to be spending a long time with it, so get a fresh copy. French with Ease is $50 US at Language Quest - how much lower can you go buy buying an older edition?

Quote:
How long does it take to complete Assimil French With Ease & Assimil Using French
163 days at one lesson per day, with one day off per week.

Quote:
Is it a good idea to study some French before I start the course? I wanted to do the Michel Thomas course (Basic/Total, Advanced/Pefect, Builder, Vocabulary), followed by the Hugo Complete course (both the "In 3 Months" and "Advanced" courses)
This seems like overkill. Maybe just Michel Thomas Foundation. I do think it's a good idea to have a little knowledge of the language first. You can always come back to the advanced courses after Assimil.

Quote:
What kind of level does Assimil take you to? It says B2 at the end of "Using -"; is that true?
Will you spend any time in a Francophone country? I'm starting to suspect that you need some immersion to break through the A2 / B1 boundary. Assimil might set you up to make that break through, but I don't think any program can get you across the line.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5017 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 16
06 January 2012 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Quote:
Will you spend any time in a Francophone country? I'm starting to suspect that you need some immersion to break through the A2 / B1 boundary. Assimil might set you up to make that break through, but I don't think any program can get you across the line.

I reckon that if you knew everything in the book by heart and had practice using it in real life you'd be at a solid "intermediate" level (B1-ish), but that takes more than just working through the book once. Or it did for me at least, but I did rush it slightly the first time. But reaching a B2 level requires much more broad knowledge and experience that I think you can only get from plenty native materials and conversation. Many people here including myself can testify that immersion isn't necessary to reach this level, especially with the relative ease of access to media and native speakers these days, but I'm sure it makes things a hell of a lot quicker and easier!

Ug_Caveman
United Kingdom
Joined 4592 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes

Message 6 of 16
06 January 2012 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
No, I won't be going to France or another Francophone country soon. I do spend a lot of time reading, listening to music and watching film/TV in French. I want to be able to understand without having to use subtitles and a dictionary.

Ug_Caveman
United Kingdom
Joined 4592 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes

Message 7 of 16
06 January 2012 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
Also, what are the "passive-wave" and "active-wave"? I hear them mentioned but have never quite understood what they are.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4699 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 8 of 16
06 January 2012 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
Maybe saying you need immersion is too much, but definitely being around native speakers
is needed!

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version