Diglot
United States
Joined 5283 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 1 of 6
07 January 2012 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
I am thinking of taking an internship for a few months in Kathmandu, Nepal. I seen that the two most common languages are Nepali and Nepal Bhasa. I know nothing of Nepals languages, so I was wondering which would be most beneficial for a foreigner to learn for staying in Nepal. Also if you guys know osome possible resources for the given language do let me know.

Thanks much!
1 person has voted this message useful

Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5283 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 2 of 6
10 January 2012 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
Anyone have any feedback or advice at all? Really would like to get started asap.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4712 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 3 of 6
10 January 2012 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Have you checked Wikipedia? It says that Nepal Bhasa is the mother tongue of about 3% of the population of Nepal. Unless you are planning to specifically spend time with these people, Nepali is probably more suitable. I had actually thought Nepal Bhasa was the Nepali word for Nepali, since Bhasa means "language".

As to resources, have you searched Amazon? Teach Yourself Nepali would seem to be the best readily available textbook. You definitely want a book with a CD, and I would avoid the Euro Talk CD-ROMs like the plague.

If you can spend a lot of money,
this textbook with CD got better reviews.

EDIT: a further bit of advice: both languages use the Devanagari script, so your best move might be to find any book to learn that script first. Rupert Snell's Teach Yourself Hindi Script comes highly recommended by people I know who have used it.

Edited by Jeffers on 10 January 2012 at 3:58pm

Danac
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5151 days ago

162 posts - 257 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, Serbo-Croatian, French, Russian, Esperanto

Message 4 of 6
11 January 2012 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Just as a small supplement, I'd also get the Lonely Planet Nepali phrasebook. It's cheap,
and as phrasebooks come, they're some of the best ones. It's not a replacement for a
course, but it's easy to carry around and still contains useful knowledge which might
come in handy.

daristani
United States
Joined 6947 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 5 of 6
11 January 2012 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Take a look at the resources cited here, which include some course materials (with audio) that you can download for free:

http://sites.google.com/site/soyouwanttolearnalanguage/nepal i

Morten
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 4667 days ago

5 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: Nepali

Message 6 of 6
19 September 2012 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
I understand your confusion, but let me clear it up: "Nepali" is the common language spoken throughout the country. That's a lot more useful than "Nepal Bhasa", which is only spoken by the Newar community, mainly in small parts of Kathmandu.

PS "Nepal Bhasa" actually means "Nepal language", in Nepali. But the two languages are mutually incomprehensible. No wonder people get confused.

As for resources, I have some listed on my blog about Learning Nepali - Good luck :)

Edited by Morten on 19 September 2012 at 11:38am

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version