2012: Pages 1-3 Romantics
2013: Pages 4-8 Schnitzel / Romulan / Alef
2014: Pages 9-19 Spaẞ / Forza / Rare
2015: Pages 19-... Yürükler / Rare

OBJECTIVES FOR 2012 AND RESPECTIVE ACHIEVEMENT

German:
Starting level: In average, I'd say B2.
Objective: a reasonable C1 all around.
Achievement: Objective globally attained.

Italian:
Starting level: A2 (in progress)
Objective: a solid B1, and to be working on B2 level.
Achievement: Objective attained.

Arabic:
Starting level: Somewhere between A2 (estimated) and B1 (official).
Objective: To solidify what I've already got, and acquire some more.
Achievement: Difficult to evaluate.

OBJECTIVES FOR 2013 AND RESPECTIVE ACHIEVEMENT

German:
Starting level: B2 diploma obtained. Going to C2 classes. Average: C1 in progress.
Objective: a strong C1 all around.
Achievement: Difficult to evaluate. Globally attained.

Italian:
Starting level: B2 (in progress)
Objective: a C1 in progress, with strong grammatical and conversational bases.
Achievement: Objective attained.

Arabic:
Starting level: Officially, a C1 in progress. In reality, between a strong A2 and a weak B2.
Objective: To consolidate the knowledge acquired.
Attainment: Globally attained.

Other:
Objective: Start learning my eighth language.
Attainment: Attained (I started Sanskrit).

OBJECTIVES FOR 2014 AND RESPECTIVE ACHIEVEMENT

German:
Starting level: C1
Objective: C2
Achievement: Not attained. I just did some reading.

Italian:
Starting level: C1 in progress
Objective: C2 in progress
Achievement: Attained with complete satisfaction.

Arabic:
Starting level: B1
Objective: B2
Achievement: Not attained. I did not set aside enough time.

Sanskrit:
Starting level: A0
Objective: A2
Achievement: Difficult to evaluate. I certainly did a lot of progress, but A2? Doubt it.

OBJECTIVES FOR 2015

Italian:
Starting level: C2 in progress
Objective: To finish C2

Arabic:
Starting level: B1
Objective: B2

Sanskrit:
Starting level: A1
Objective: A2

Turkish:
Starting level: A0
Objective: A1

PERMANENT COMMITMENT
I'd also like to help other team members (or anyone else, for that matter) with their Portuguese language issues. Feel free to ask.

Edited by Luso on 31 December 2014 at 3:14am

1 person has voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4896 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 2 of 162
07 January 2012 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the team, Luso! Best of luck on your goals!

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5842 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 3 of 162
10 January 2012 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Lianne. I look forward to seeing your advances with the French language.

Resuming the structured approach from my first post, I'll describe now my methods and resources.

Italian:
I am presently enrolled in a language school (A2 level). Although it might not be the best choice for a beginner with the ability to advance fast, I had bigger fish to fry when I started. Sometimes it is a bit dull but, all things considered, it does not hinder my learning.
I've already materials that allow me to go well into the B's. And I find the possibility to speak regularly with native speakers quite good.

German:
Same here, except for the fact that I'm already beginning the C1 level. Due to lack of vocabulary, I do not feel a C level student at all. But at least the classes are challenging.
I also have some very good materials, and the internet provides very good resources, if you're a student of the German language.

Arabic:
A different scenario: I started out by enrolling in a class, but now I have a private teacher. I don't think I'd be able to progress as well as I am without this kind of incentive / tool.
The materials my teacher provides are (just) appropriate, but this is largely compensated by the personal insights he also gives me.

Edited by Luso on 10 January 2012 at 6:59pm

Hendrek
Diglot
United States
Joined 4663 days ago

152 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Persian

Message 4 of 162
23 January 2012 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Buona fortuna con il tuo Italiano! Quale corso d'italiano segui adesso? I tuoi materiali didattici, cosa sono?

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5390 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 5 of 162
25 January 2012 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
.مرحبا! أدرس اللخة العربية أيضاٌ
I know exactly how you feel about the amount of work put in vs the result with Arabic! I
also feel like I should be B1 but if I'm honest I don't think I've reached it yet.
Perhaps in some things but not others. Luckily we are on the same team, I'm glad there is
another Arabic student here! A private teacher sounds like a great idea!

Anyway just wanted to say hi :) I speak German and Spanish as well and currently studying
French along with Arabic. My long term plan, maybe for next year i to learn Portuguese
(after my French is a bit better).

Good luck with your studies, hope you have a great year. How long will your classes run
for?

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5842 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 6 of 162
29 January 2012 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the encouragement. And sorry for not replying sooner... it seems I have been following other threads more than my own log. :p

Hendrek wrote:
Buona fortuna con il tuo Italiano! Quale corso d'italiano segui adesso? I tuoi materiali didattici, cosa sono?

Io faccio il livello A2 nell' Istituto Italiano di Cultura, a Lisbona. Dunque, non so si posso riuscire a risponderti correttamente. Come parlo francese, credo che posso finire il livello A2 (anche il B1, penso io) senza difficultà. Dopo verrò. Come dicevo (screvevo), il mio metodo non è 100% uguale a quello della maggior parte degli altri studenti di questo forum, ma ho bisogno di questo tipo di disciplina. Ma deve essere un metodo effetivo: ho scritto questo messaggio senza dizionario e ho cominziato i miei studi della lingua Italiana nel marzo 2011 (10 mesi fa). Certo, posso sbagliare qualcosa, ma serai d'accordo che non è troppo male.

@Quabazaa: yes, Arabic IS hard (even though the Portuguese language has more words of Arabic origin than I had dared imagine). Having a Tunisian teacher helps (by the way, he teaches MSA, so no worries there). He's also quite cultivated, so we have nice talks about dialects, Arabic language expansion, and other topics.
I still feel very much like a beginner, especially where writing is concerned: long or short vowels? is it "ك" or "ق"? a "د", a "ذ" or a "ض" ? this, among others.
By the way, I noticed you wrote "اللخة" instead of "اللغة", which means you also have the same issues (please don't be offended by my noticing). :)

Anyway, if I wanted to describe my overall approach (in terms of timing, that is), it would be something like this:
a) since my German level is the more advanced one, I'd like to "put it to rest" in a short period of time. By "put it to rest", I mean getting to the point of being able to read books without having to resort to a dictionary more than once or twice per page; this I would call "cruise speed", or "self-sustaining learning" (I think you get the drift);
b) I'd like to achieve this by the time my Italian level starts to require more attention. I am fully aware that's a language with lots to learn, so I'm approaching it with the respect it deserves. It's easy now, yes, but I'm just beginning. Oh, and this semi-relaxed approach (I could be learning it somewhat faster) also gives me time to work on German;
c) last but not least, Arabic: I see it as a work in progress; mind you, my teacher does not give me any slack: for instance, at the beginning of each lesson he insists on 15 minutes (at least) of conversation! It was not easy when I was in a class environment, imagine now that I'm all alone. Lots of silence! Well, not "lots", but it sure feels like it. ;) Anyway, due to the complexity of the language, I think it's better not to have big short-term expectations.

One extra note: as a vocabulary learning tool, I use Anki for German. I find some verbs hard to remember, since if you add a prefix to a verb you already know (this from a learner's point of view, of course) you may end up with:
a) a verb in the same "ballpark" (hören and zuhören);
b) or something else completely (hören and gehören).
Multiply this by all possible prefixes (separable or not) and you have your work cut out for you.
Not complaining, it's just a "Herausforderung". :)

Edited by Luso on 30 January 2012 at 11:17am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4670 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 7 of 162
29 January 2012 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
I like your approach. I feel the same way about Italian (it feels so easy in the
beginning) and Arabic (I should be far more advanced than I am based on the amount of
work I put in.).

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5390 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 8 of 162
30 January 2012 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
Oops thanks for correcting me! It was a typo, I appreciate you pointing these things out,
I still make a lot of mistakes when I type myself, apparently I haven't properly
memorised the placements of the letters yet! I'm thinking of getting little clear
stickers to stick on my computer but then my problem is that I want to have both Korean
and Arabic and I don't think they'll fit. (They're my two scripts that map completely differently from English)

I am trying to put my German to rest as well. I think I have just reached that point
really, last year I was still "studying" it, this year I hope to just read, watch movies
etc and still hopefully increase my vocab. The point you make about the verb prefixes is
so true. At least some of them often have a similar meaning so you just need to learn the
general meaning of the prefix.

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version