pfn123
Australia
Joined 4893 days ago

171 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 9 of 14
11 January 2012 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Talib wrote:
The problem that I find with a lot of textbooks is that they do not have continuous audio conversations. The FSI Saudi course does have recorded audio and looks like a great course, but there are a lot of drills and other stuff on the recording too. It would take a bit of editing to get it down to just the continuously recorded sections. I'm sure those drills are great for speaking, but I am mostly interested in understanding colloquial Arabic. I would prefer to speak in MSA even if it makes me sound a bit Shakespearean, but I need to understand the dialect if I am going to understand what people are saying.

You can use a programme such as WavePad to edit the audio. I often find that language courses contain English directions and information (like the Teach Yourself books), so I use WavePad to cut away the unwanted parts. That way, I'm left with the target language dialogue without interference.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Talib
Diglot
United States
Joined 6471 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 10 of 14
11 January 2012 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot. I think wavepad is going to be helpful in editing down the courses.
1 person has voted this message useful

Talib
Diglot
United States
Joined 6471 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 11 of 14
29 January 2012 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
I would recommend against downloading that software.

Mikael84
Bilingual Pentaglot
Groupie
Peru
Joined 5110 days ago

76 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: French*, Finnish*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Arabic (classical), German, Russian

Message 12 of 14
29 January 2012 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Really interesting thread for me. I have been learning MSA for about 3 years and moved to a dialect (Levantine) a little over a year ago.

I would say the crucial things when making the transition from MSA to dialect are:

- focus on the spoken language and practice, practice, practice! It sounds obvious considering dialects are spoken, but I made the mistake early on of focusing too much on theory and grammar rules (like memorizing that "imta" = "mataa" or that "faata = dakhala" or the use of "3am" to indicate present continuous). With a dialect *more than with MSA*, the key is to get plenty of exposure and force yourself to speak. Of course getting exposure without understanding anything won't accomplish much so you need transcripts. Sites like GLOSS or this one http://langmedia.fivecolleges.edu/culturetalk/arab_levant/ are very useful. I also recommend this blog: http://thearabicstudent.blogspot.com/

- the main stumbling block in dialects aren't the words that are completely different from MSA. Those can be memorized easily... The real problem is with words that are the same as in MSA but pronounced differently. Bad news: most words are like that. Especially the small transition words which can be almost imperceptible when a dialect is spoken quickly ("3alaa" becomes "3a", "ilaa" becomes "la", etc). In Levantine I had (still have actually) a lot of trouble with short words that have at least one "q". Not prouncing the "q" makes the word sound radically different. "I read", "qara'tu" in MSA, becomes something like "'irit". Same for "qultu" and others... "haqiqiy", "true", becomes something like "hayiyiy"...

- more so than with MSA, it is necessary for you to interact with someone in dialect. Find a friend or better yet, a teacher. Or travel there/move there. Believe me the interaction part is absolutely crucial...

- patience! It takes a lot of time. Yes, the grammar is easier than in MSA, but you are going to have to invest a lot of time. It will take dozens of hours of listening for your ear to get used to it. So, considering you're in for a long ride, make sure you find ways of enjoying the process...

- do not forget to learn MSA. Dialects and MSA overlap a lot. Improving in MSA will make you improve in dialect and many times improving in dialect will make you improve in MSA...

Edited by Mikael84 on 29 January 2012 at 6:29pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Mikael84
Bilingual Pentaglot
Groupie
Peru
Joined 5110 days ago

76 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: French*, Finnish*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Arabic (classical), German, Russian

Message 13 of 14
29 January 2012 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
One more thing that came to mind:

- don't neglect the correct pronounciation of short vowels, which can be quite different from MSA. I used to discard it as a detail, something I would pick up effortlessly and quickly... far from it. It's easy to neglect them because in Arabic script they're never written. But if you think about it they're just as important for correct pronounciation and understanding as any consonant. So pay special attention, for example, when the "U"s of MSA become "I"s in Levantine (qultu -> 'ilit, etc)

pfn123
Australia
Joined 4893 days ago

171 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 14 of 14
30 January 2012 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
Talib wrote:
I would recommend against downloading that software.

Really? Why? I hope you haven't had any problems. I use the programme and it's fine. Is everything all right?

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version