United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5763 days ago

18 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 3
11 January 2012 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
Hi all,

I've made it my 2012 language goal to resume studying Russian. I had studied it for
about four months last year, slowly working through the first half of the old Assimil
Russian Without Toil and the first half of the New Penguin Russian Course.

I'd like to use Assimil again as a major component of my study plan, but I'm not sure
which version to use. I've read on this board that the language in Russian Without Toil
is outdated, and that the learning curve is too steep towards the end (I stopped before
the literary examples started). My Italian is good enough to use the Italian-based
courses: this leaves me with the new-ish (90s, I think) Il Nuovo Russo Senza Sforzo
(the one with 70 lessons -- but I've heard that this course isn't that good -- is that
true?) and the new course, simply titled Il Russo (Assimil's site said it came out in
2008 -- this one has 100 lessons, but I can't find it for free online and would have to
drop €80 or so on it without even seeing it first).

Any suggestions?
1 person has voted this message useful

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5385 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 2 of 3
11 January 2012 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
I happen to like the 70 lesson course, the problem is the learning curve is steep. While
a typical Assimil course has 2-3 min lessons many of those in the Russian course are
5min+. Not very graded, but I found the course brilliant after having done the 100 lesson
Le Russe which is Assimil's newest offering.

Opensecret
Triglot
United States
Joined 4502 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 3 of 3
20 January 2012 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
I haven't used the Assimil audio -- I used Pimsleur I, II and III for that. But I've used the 70-lesson book in the French version (Le nouveau russe sans peine, 1995), and I think it's the best of several different Russian texts I've tried. It's probably not a good source for contemporary slang, but the reading material and vocabulary are varied, and I didn't find that the learning curve was too steep at the end. Some of the reading excerpts at the back of the book were challenging, but the translation that is always right there on the facing page made that manageable.

Edited by Opensecret on 20 January 2012 at 10:14pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version