United States
Joined 5777 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 6
12 January 2012 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 

Today I found a very amusing overview of the German language resources available from Deutsche Welle:An Invisible Woman Taught Me German

I like Deutsche Welle a lot and have used these resources. This upcoming feature sounds a little frightening, but I like bizarre learning material!

At Deutsche Welle's Bonn offices, Kasraeian gave me a preview of a snazzy Flash-animated learning program rolling out later this year. A man wakes up in Germany trapped in a Groundhog Day-style time loop, doomed to repeat the same day until he learns German. The graphics and story are delightfully weird and cheeky, proof that DW isn't abandoning its commitment to the bizarre.

I love this comment about "Langsam Gesprochene Nachrichten," the very, very slowly spoken audio newscast. I've used it a lot for learning, but yes, sometimes it is too slow!!

They have audio features tied to current events, as well as a daily newscast spoken so slowly that it sounds like the hosts are heavily medicated

There's plenty of material for learners of German at different levels (and speeds!), and I'm glad to see the site mentioned in the media. The article makes a good point about some language-learning programs (in general) being effective but sometimes boring. I know we don't use them for pure entertainment; after all, sometimes learning what you really need to know involves some tedium, but a little unusual language instruction now and then can be enjoyable.

5 persons have voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4511 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 2 of 6
13 January 2012 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
Some of the Japanese people I came across while learning Japanese use DW to learn German, so I checked it out myself some time ago.
Before, I felt sorry for them to have to deal with our pretty boring entertainment, compared to what I can use for immersion, but DW actually makes me envious. There's nothing like that for Japanese... to my knowledge (-.- JapanesePod101 sometimes can be amusing, but it's no match.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 6
13 January 2012 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
I was actually going to make a thread about whether there are other weird/funny courses like Deutsch - Warum Nicht :)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6513 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 6
13 January 2012 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
I sometimes have acces to DW when I'm travelling, but I find it totally absurd that half of their programs are in English.

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5879 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 5 of 6
13 January 2012 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
bizarre is good
Curso Aleman (Parte 1)
2 persons have voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5777 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 6
13 January 2012 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
Oh, not so bizarre, really! Don't we all know already just how much a bubble bath with a good friend and an alien improves language acquisition?

Actually, I think that lesson exceeds even my eccentricity threshold, which is very high.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version