Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4642 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 17 of 20
10 April 2012 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
I've made the experience that it's just the little everyday words which tend to be confused when you are learning closely related languages. Since I have started learning Icelandic, my Swedish has become "icelandicized". I use "er" instead of "är" (present tense of to be), "segja" instead of "säga" (to say) and "og" instead of "och" (and). Those are just tiny little errors in my writing, but I feel really stupid for not being able to write correct Swedish anymore - whithout rereading my text and eradicating all Icelandic words (if I see them). I think this might get better if I spent more time on my Swedish but I don't know which effect this might have on my Icelandic! I hope I am not condemned to speaking a Scandinavian mishmash which is neither real Swedish nor real Icelandic.

Edited by Josquin on 10 April 2012 at 9:18pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4469 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 18 of 20
11 April 2012 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
I'm in the "it's not a big deal" boat. But there was some pretty popular advice a while back that I still have to
disagree with. That is, one should learn all, or multiple languages from the same subgroup simultaneously, from
beginning to "end". The specific example was to learn French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese at the same time. If I
did this with languages I didn't know, I would probably suffer from enough interference to outweigh any benefits
from them being similar.
3 persons have voted this message useful

wv girl
Diglot
United States
Joined 5037 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 19 of 20
11 April 2012 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
When I was doing my last year of courses to certify to teach French, my state mandated that all junior highs
offer a foreign language. Spanish was the most likely choice for most of them. However, there weren't a lot of
Spanish teachers available, so the county decided to offer a fast-track certification to interested teachers. It
wasn't a full course, but in the interest of having "certified" teachers, standards are lowered so people can meet
them. Having studied French on my own for about 10 years and dabbling in Spanish, again on my own, for
about 2 years, I thought I'd be a great candidate for this program. I approached the director of the course and
she denied me admission, based on the assumption that I should "finish" my French first. I might get them
confused. She was not the teacher, not a foreign language speaker, so I couldn't demonstrate my proficiency in
French or my intermediate level in Spanish. Very disappointing for me. There were only 2 teachers to finish the
course.

While I later continued to "officially" study Spanish at the university, I believe that my base in French was nothing
but a help with Spanish. Of course I mixed up vocabulary from time to time, but unlike when I started French & I
filled in gaps with English, when I was trying to figure out something in Spanish, I thought about how I'd say it in
French. Same thing now that I'm looking at Italian. I love that I can do this with less effort.

I think it would have been different if my levels were closer together. However, I've had students do quite well
with both at the same time. Motivation makes such a difference.

Don't know why it posted with breaks in the sentences! Sorry!

Edited by wv girl on 11 April 2012 at 7:05pm

1 person has voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4657 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 20 of 20
16 May 2012 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
Bulgarian-Macedonian interference. There's nothing better.
But generally somehow I cope with my 5 Slavic languages. + Polish, razbira se.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version