zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5162 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 1 of 5
13 January 2012 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
Привет. Я изчсаю русский язык. Я знаю трудно. I still want to learn it, even if it is. I
find it a very beautiful language, and just can't resist learning it. Right now I do
struggle with some pronunciation, but it will get better with time. I'm using Colloquial
Russian, and I like the book. It has a lot of exercises in the book. I'm only on the
second unit, because I've been struggling the with that unit for a few weeks. I guess
just scared to actually learn it, and the deep road ahead. I'm not going to give up.
Hopefully in due time, it will be better.

As of right now. I can understand the words I know, and can read sentences that contains
those words. I'm just getting used to the spelling rules, and the nominative case
endings. The cases aren't really the problem, since I am used to them from German. I just
need to learn the endings.
1 person has voted this message useful

zekecoma
Joined 5162 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 

Message 2 of 5
22 January 2012 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
I've managed to learn quite a bit more words in Russian. I've been listening to Michel
Thomas Russian. While I know it won't give a lot in return, but it has helped with my
pronunciation. I really enjoy it a lot. I'm still using Colloquial Russian too with Anki.

zekecoma
Joined 5162 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 

Message 3 of 5
27 January 2012 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
I've been listening to MT Russian a lot. I think I do about 10-15 a day. I'm currently
now on CD 5-8 as of writing. I'm getting the words down really good. There are at times
I might forget, but for the most part. I have no trouble. I just learned the past tense
form of Знать. Hopefully, that I will learn more. Probably in a week, or two. I should
be on the end of the advanced course, or on the vocabulary one. Then I will start doing
Pimsleur.

Some people say I should do them both together. I'm not really sure, that is the best
decision to do, unless others agree. When I finish Pimsleur. Hopefully it will give me
a good path to continue on with Russian. I'm really going to try and get this language
down. I really want to be able to go to Moscow and St. Petersburg in Russian, then go
to Kiev and Pripyat in the Ukraine. Yes, I really want to go on the tour at Chernobyl
;P. I will take pictures, if I ever get the chance to.

I also just bought the Barron's 501 Russian verbs book for really cheap. I'm still
waiting for my English-Russian dictionary to come in the mail. I don't know when I will
get it, since it has no tracking number.

I do wonder how long it will take for me to be able to run Windows 7 and Linux desktop
completely in Russian. Probably take a good 3-4 years (estimation).

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5374 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 4 of 5
27 January 2012 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your Russian this year Zeke! I always found the Colloquial course a little intimidating, and don't think I ever made it past lesson 7 (I always found the woman's voice a bit too scary). So don't worry too much if you find yourself initially struggling with this book. I think MT and Pimsleur will give you a good basic foundation and may be more fun right now. :)

Edited by Teango on 27 January 2012 at 3:30pm

zekecoma
Joined 5162 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 

Message 5 of 5
05 February 2012 at 5:16am | IP Logged 
I have finished the first 8 CDs of Michel Thomas Russian. I am very happy with it, even
though I did forget some words once in a while. I am happy with my progress in Russian.
I just wish I had more words to be able to write in here without using English, but
that will come soon.

Hopefully by June, or July. I will be able to converse. That is my goal for right now.
By the end of the year I want to be able to read a book in it, even if I still have to
look up some words. I'm going to really do my best to stick with Russian and not give
up on it, or forget about it.

Я хочу говорить...нет. Я БУДУ говорить и Я буду понимать по-русски. Ж)

Edited by zekecoma on 05 February 2012 at 5:18am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version