United Kingdom
tinyurl.com/aberdeen
Joined 5357 days ago

199 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 4
13 January 2012 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
The Pocket Linguist: A Practical and Highly Effective Guide to Learning any Language
Pocket
Linguist

Has anyone read this? Currently free on Kindle

Jim

2 persons have voted this message useful

mikonai
Diglot
United States
weirdnamewriting.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4739 days ago

178 posts - 281 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Swahili, German

Message 2 of 4
13 January 2012 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
I haven't read this one, but hey, if it's free on Kindle, I'll download it and give it a
read when I have time. Nice find!

Edited by mikonai on 13 January 2012 at 8:08pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6469 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 3 of 4
13 January 2012 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
Please do tell then, if the book contains any new information, or if it is just the same facts almost every writer tells
one about language learning. I have yet to see anything revolutionary that I haven’t learned here after half an hour
reading threads. Sadly, a lot of «How to learn a language» type books can be summarised into «Have fun or you’ll
be bored», to me, that does not sound very … well a three-year-old would probably figure that out.

mikonai
Diglot
United States
weirdnamewriting.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4739 days ago

178 posts - 281 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Swahili, German

Message 4 of 4
13 January 2012 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
After a quick read of the first few pages (outlining the "core concepts"), it advocates
immersion learning, even if you can't travel to the country where your language is
spoken. Also speaking with someone who already knows the language, the sort of "talking
to yourself" method that I've seen on this forum, as well as using a course or something
similar to gauge your progress, even though you may not use it exactly as the course
describes. After that it has various strategies for reaching whatever your linguistic
goal is.

At this point I'm not sure I'd pay the $10 paperback price, but it doesn't seem to be a
bad collection of ideas to have as a free eBook. It came out in November of 2010, so it's
got a relatively recent view on the current technology and so on, in this age of language
learning via Skype and everything else.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version