dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4833 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 3
15 January 2012 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Looking through old threads about FSI on the forum, I came across a post in which someone claimed that FSI Spanish Basic orginally had 63 units , which is 8 more than is available through either the FSI site or through platiquemos.

This content is actually available on a site called Loquella, although you have to pay a monthly subsciption fee, which is something I doubt I'll ever be prepared to do.

So, are these extra units available anywhere else?

Does anyone know what they contain? (I read somewhere that they focus on various dialects).

Is there anyone who has done them and could post an opinion?

Thanks in advance
1 person has voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5594 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 2 of 3
15 January 2012 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
I'm surprised to hear that! I doubt it's true, but would be great.
1 person has voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4833 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 3
16 January 2012 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
I'm surprised to hear that! I doubt it's true, but would be great.

I found this thread : http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=471&PN=100

in which someone asks whether there are 55 or 60 units. Don Casteel (the man behind Platquemos, and person who was actually trained by the FSI) states that there are only 50 units.

However, there are another 8 units of material available on the Loquella site.

The following is a description of the extra units which can be found on their website:

"Dialect Lessons

The dialect lessons are not necessarily grammatically correct in Spanish. Each lesson is based on a short story or dialogue told by a native Spanish speaker who has not rehearsed and is not reading from a script. Instead, they are speaking in a normal conversational manner. The translation is not always translated word for word, instead the meaning of the sentence is translated in English. This is meant to provide you with a means for getting used to the variations in dialect that can be heard from region to region. Since people speak very differently depending on the region they are from, these lessons will help you get accustomed to understanding the different dialects that Spanish speakers have.
Learn Spanish Lesson 56

* Dialect From Mexico City, Mexico

Learn Spanish Lesson 57

* Dialect From Lima, Peru

Learn Spanish Lesson 58

* Dialect From Guatemala

Learn Spanish Lesson 59

* Dialect From San Salvador, El Salvador

Learn Spanish Lesson 60

* Dialect from Cadiz, Spain

Learn Spanish Lesson 61

* Dialect from Montevideo, Uruguay

Learn Spanish Lesson 62

* Dialect from Rivera, Uruguay

Learn Spanish Lesson 63

* Dialect from Veracruz, Mexico "

I have no idea where this content originated from, but I would love to get my hands on it. It would be great if someone had it nd it turned out to be public domain.

Anyone have any idea?

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version