Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
23 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4940 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 17 of 23
18 January 2012 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Not that I have the slightest interest in doing so myself, but shouldn't you just check where the 600000 Google hits for 'mirar la televisión' come from in the first place, and then theorize about it being the result of US influence in Mexico, political normalization in Spain, etc? :)

Not to mention that a quick glance at the first couple pages of the search results are actually just people asking what the difference is between "ver" and "mirar".

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 18 January 2012 at 4:50pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4559 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 18 of 23
20 January 2012 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
Native speakers of Spanish don't mix VER and MIRAR.

OIR and ESCUCHAR is another story. ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4940 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 19 of 23
20 January 2012 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Camundonguinho wrote:
Native speakers of Spanish don't mix VER and MIRAR.

OIR and ESCUCHAR is another story. ;)

You should probably add "in my experience" to that very definitive statement.

In some places, natives can and do use mirar for ver in this specific context. Not saying it's right (or wrong), just that it happens in some places.

R.
==

Skuld
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5030 days ago

31 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, CatalanC1, EnglishC1
Studies: German, French

Message 20 of 23
21 January 2012 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Not that I have the slightest interest in doing so myself, but shouldn't you just check where the 600000 Google hits for 'mirar la televisión' come from in the first place, and then theorize about it being the result of US influence in Mexico, political normalization in Spain, etc? :)

I have carefully analyzed the first 20 results for "mirar la televisión" at Google Spain [20-01-2012; 21:30 GMT+1]:

--------------------------------
Absolute Frequency [Percentatge] :

7 [35%]- Usage of 'mirar la televisión' at bilingual areas Catalan/Spanish. Results: (2, 7, 10, 11, 15, 18, 19)

5 [25%] - Usage of 'mirar la televisión' in Spain, but not knowing exactly the region of its origin. It can be from a Catalonian area of influence or not. (6, 8, 9, 10, 13)

2 [10%]- USA. Direct influence from English? Not surprisingly, the name of one webpage is 'Valencian College'. ['Valencia' is -apart from another meanings- the name of a Spanish city/area of Catalan/Valencian influence]. The other one 'Medline Plus'. What we know about the translator of the page from English? (16, 20)

1 or 2 [5%-10%] - Argentina. [South America] It's the same webpage. I haven't found more information. (4,5)

1 [5%]- International - Doubt about usage in Spanish of 'ver la televisión' vs.'mirar la televisión'. (1)

1 [5%]- Zaragoza, Aragon, (Spain) - Medium-low area of influence of Catalan. (17)

1 [5%]- Andalusia (Spain) --> The webpage is from Andalusia, but the essay where comes from the expression 'mirar la televisión' Google has ranked seems to be written by a Catalonian writer. (3)

1 [5%] - Euskadi --> High Esukara [Basque language] influence, 'but for political issues, area of low Catalonian influence' (sic). The text has been translated from Euskara to Spanish by a translator team known as 'Euskaltel Fundazioa'. (14)
-------------------------

It's a very little sample, I know, but relevant. And it seems there's a high relationship between Catalonian/Valencian and the expression 'mirar la televisión' at Spain.

On the other hand, I have found a relevant result from Argentina (twice), and two relevant results from USA, one of them with possible Catalonian influence apart from English.

Edited by Skuld on 21 January 2012 at 12:43pm

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5036 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 21 of 23
21 January 2012 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
You should probably add "in my experience" to that very definitive statement.

In some places, natives can and do use mirar for ver in this specific context. Not saying it's right (or wrong), just that it happens in some places.

I would say if it's contrary to what the dictionary says, it's wrong, but hey, that's just me.

I think it's interesting to note, though, that there are many couples of verbs with similar but distinct meanings, often involving trying/intending to do something vs simply/mechanically doing it, that are often mixed even by natives [specially by natives?]. Some of these couples are cross-linguistic, some are not. I don't know if this deserves a thread of its own, but here 'a couple' more:

oír/escuchar -> listen/hear; ex.: "I heard you" "yes, but were you listening?"
hablar/decir -> speak/say; ex.: he didn't say much but he sure spoke a lot.

Also talk/speak, watch/see, sniff/smell...

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4559 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 22 of 23
21 January 2012 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
Take a look here:
mirar la televisión ~ ver la televisión
http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=mirar+la+televi si%C3%B3n%2C+ver+la+televisi%C3%B3n&year_start=1950&year_end =2100&corpus=10&smoothing=3

Edited by Camundonguinho on 21 January 2012 at 4:29pm

PillowRock
Groupie
United States
Joined 4544 days ago

87 posts - 151 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 23 of 23
31 January 2012 at 5:32am | IP Logged 
I've found this thread an interesting reality check.

I've been working my way through Rosetta Stone Version 4 Spanish (Latin America). That software shows mirar when those phrases show up. So some of those 600K Google hits may come from a set of inexperienced students who have been taught that usage.

Presumably there is some locality somewhere where that is the more common idiom. At least I would hope so, since it got into the RS course that way.

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version