Tags: Jobs | Career | Usefulness
 Language Learning Forum : Languages & Work Post Reply
classicwho101
United Kingdom
Joined 4520 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 1 of 4
16 January 2012 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
I am in high school right now, and i would like to become a translator in russian and swedish. I was just wondering if translating in these languages would provide a good career also are these languages in a demand? I would prefer to work in a company rather than a free lance translator. thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5176 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 4
16 January 2012 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
I don't know anything about the market for those languages, but I can tell you two things: first, you are young and you have time going for you -- make sure you do all you can to know those two languages (and yours) as best as you can, and second, good translators are always in demand. Make sure you are one of them.
1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5115 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 3 of 4
16 January 2012 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
classicwho101 wrote:
I am in high school right now, and i would like to become a translator in russian and swedish. I was just wondering if translating in these languages would provide a good career also are these languages in a demand? I would prefer to work in a company rather than a free lance translator. thanks

As much as I'd like to recommend a translation career to you, you may want to first search for job offers for translators on the leading UK job searching sites to get an idea of the salaries that you can expect and the languages that are most in demand.
AFAIK, many UK companies pay in-house translators pretty much the same salaries as secretaries and often treat them the same way...

2 persons have voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6744 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 4 of 4
17 January 2012 at 7:28am | IP Logged 
As a fledgling freelance translator, my advice is to carve a niche for yourself by
choosing a field of specialization and start studying all about it. Don't fall into the
trap of studying nothing but languages and having no knowledge in other fields ;) The
most in-demand translators specialize in law, accounting, medicine, IT, patents, and
similar fields, but a specialty can be anything from fashion to psychology to tourism, or
in my case, video games. Pick a field you're interested in and read as much about it as
you can get your hands on in all 3 languages (especially in English, because that's what
you'll have to produce on your own). Also, start doing pro bono translations as soon as
possible to build your resume. A bit of experience under your belt will separate you from
the other translators who are trying to break in.

4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version