Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6392 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 9 of 13
20 January 2012 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
After a quick look at his latest video: That guy's pretty cool! I like the relaxed style. He's very particular with the tones, which is probably important for beginning students. His pronunciation is not bad. Some of his initials (like 'q' and 'x') seem a tad off, but he's clearly better than most westerners I've heard ('cause most westerners are terrible!).

Chinese with Mike gets my stamp of approval.
1 person has voted this message useful

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4510 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 13
20 January 2012 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Yeah I thought his general style helps and even though I won't be using it for my main source of learning, I think It won't do me any harm In watching them and getting more familiar to It.

I'm always happy to try new.

Opensecret
Triglot
United States
Joined 4502 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 11 of 13
21 January 2012 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
JayR9 wrote:

I dont know what Wenlin Is. Is it like Anki where you have cards? I have just been watching Chinese with Mike and listening to some ChinesePod to help get more of a feel for It.
I am struggling to find a good program or book for reading or writing though.

As for Assimil, how much is it?

Wenlin is a digital Chinese/English dictionary with some additional bells and whistles. Wenlin 4.0 is currently listed at $179 on the website (www.wenlin.com), which seems more expensive than I remember paying a few years back. Basically, it makes it very easy to work back and forth between English, pinyin, and Chinese characters. Type in a pinyin word and it will offer to show you all the matching characters. Click on a character and it will give you various meanings, give you a few sentences about the derivation/history of the character (both traditional and simplified), and offer to show all words that begin with that character, or all characters that contain it as a component. Hover your mouse over a character, and it will show you a pinyin spelling and definition. You can also hear any character pronounced by a male or female speaker (whose accents are somewhat different from each other). And lots more features, including flash cards. If you're studying the written language, I think it's a great auxiliary tool, but it's a resource rather than a program.

Assimil Chinese with Ease, text and 4 cds, is currently available for $50 at http://www.languagequest.com/home/product.php?prodCode=CWE1A SSIML&lang=Chinese .

translator2
United States
Joined 6729 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 

Message 12 of 13
21 January 2012 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
I think his channel is awesome!

You can also go to his website and print out a copy of the vocabulary and grammar used in the lessons along with practice exercises.

In addition, he has another youtube channel in Chinese where he teaches English to native Chinese speakers.

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4510 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 

Message 13 of 13
21 January 2012 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
Thanks again Opensecret. That Wenlin does sound like a good thing to have. I will look into that. Thanks.

Yes I have been downloading the extra's from his lessons and enjoy having them. I didnt know he had another channel. He is good though. I am upto lesson 21 with him.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version