Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
758 messages over 95 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 ... 94 95 Next >>
zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5018 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 145 of 758
02 April 2012 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:

დალია მან ფორთოხლის ან ვაშლის წვენი? Did s/he drink orange or apple juice?
Given answer was 'არა, მან დალია მხოლოდ ვაშლის წვენი.' No, s/he drank only apple juice.

Is it so that, when a question has two alternatives, you have to answer 'no' first?

I don't see why that would make sense in any language haha. It's probably just a
mistake. Like they originally wrote a different question but then changed it...

Edit: I just noticed, it uses ან (as opposed to თუ), I think that changes the meaning.
I'm just not sure how. I think I know, but maybe someone else could explain it (Murdoc?
:)

Edited by zecchino1991 on 02 April 2012 at 11:26pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 146 of 758
02 April 2012 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
That does make sense in some languages. In European Portuguese, too. They always take things literally.

I was asked in my flight from Lisbon to São Paulo:
"Você quer café ou chá?" (Would you like coffee or tea?)

I replied straight away "Eu quero vinho branco" (I want white whine).

He said slightly harshly "Então a resposta para a minha pergunta é não" (Then the answer to my question is no", meaning that I should have answered his question first and only then asked for something else. But for me, a native of Brazilian Portuguese, it doesn't make sense to answer to a question asking whether you want one thing or another with "No!", just like it wouldn't make any sense to answer "Yes!" either. It's not conclusive at all. So, instead of answering "I want neither coffee nor tea, but white wine" I made a shortcut and said "I want white wine". Answering "no" first wouldn't make any sense to me at all.
2 persons have voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5018 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 147 of 758
03 April 2012 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
Yeah, in that case it would make sense, because you asked for something other than the
two things offered. But in the question about the juice, apple juice was one of the
options, so saying "no" makes no sense.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 148 of 758
03 April 2012 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Currently i'm using only book2 as a resource with audio. I plan to take a quick refresh by using Peace Corps lessons once I've finished book2, but then I'll be out of audios with textbook again. Any suggestions? Podcasts, whatever?

In fact one of the Russian courses have audio, but it is in tapes, hard to figure out when each lesson starts. I'm considering using only the dialogues in that course and not worrying about grammar and vocabulary lists.

=======
book2

აქ არასდროს ვყოფილვარ.     I' ve never been here before.
How is the sentence formed? არასდროს is never? What about ვყოფილვარ, which tense?

SF200 09

Today's lesson is about dates, something I don't like to learn by heart. I was thinking I'd just skip, but I decided to read it without worrying about exercises. I've translated the final text and I'm glad I could understand a little. Those final texts are really useful, they teach you quite a bit.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5018 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 149 of 758
04 April 2012 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
For podcasts you can listen to Voice of America. There's another one called regional media network. I don't
know if any of them have transcriptions though...

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5014 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 150 of 758
05 April 2012 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
Quote:
როგორები იყვნენ მსახიობები? How were the actors?
Why is როგორები in the plural? Is it compulsory or optional?

It's kind of a literal translation from English and doesn't sound right to me.
Normally you would say: "მსახიობებმა როგორ ითამაშეს?"

Use of "როგორები" generally seems really complicated to me. I really am not sure.

Quote:
Is the word for 'waiter' by default feminine and you have to add the word for 'man' afterwards to stress that it is a male waiter?

No it doesn't have default sex, you can use the word for both sexes. "man" is added to stress it that is a male waiter, but you would do same for female as well. But normally you just say "მიმტანი" unless there is need to indicate the sex.

Quote:
დალია მან ფორთოხლის ან ვაშლის წვენი? Did s/he drink orange or apple juice?
Given answer was 'არა, მან დალია მხოლოდ ვაშლის წვენი.' No, s/he drank only apple juice.

Yep this is wrong. If s/he drank apple juice you would answer: "კი ვაშლის წვენი დალია."

The original answer would be correct if the question was: "დალია მან ფორთოხლის და ვაშლის წვენები?"

Quote:
არასდროს is never?

Yes, and არასოდეს is equal alternative.

2 persons have voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5224 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 151 of 758
05 April 2012 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
What about ვყოფილვარ, which tense?

My family is visiting me in Japan from the UK at the moment, so I'm just having a quick
visit to the site while snatching 15 minutes of peace and quiet!

ვყოფილვარ is the present perfect tense of ყოფნა "to be". It works similarly to
English (in this case at least), i.e. "have been". You could also say ნამყოფი ვარ
using the perfect participle. I don't know if there is any difference in nuance
between ვყოფილვარ and ნამყოფი ვარ though.

The present perfect is quite complicated but really useful once you get the hang of it.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 152 of 758
09 April 2012 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
This is one tense I'd really like to know better sooner or later. Kiziria states she wouldn't take care of any perfect tenses, so that made me even more curious.

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version