Georgia
Joined 5041 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 185 of 758
24 April 2012 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
Quote:
"But nothing that is too expensive"?

"მაგრამ ისეთი არაფერი რომ ძალიან ძვირი იყოს".
There are many ways you could formulate this, depends on the context I guess, you would choose the one that sounds more natural.

Quote:
რა თქმა უნდა - of course
Is it used in all contexts when 'of course' can be used in English? How does it translate literally?

Yeah it's used in pretty much same context as "of course". Literally translates: "what saying does it want" meaning that it doesn't even need to be said.

Quote:
What's the difference between მსოფლიო and სამყარო?

It's more or less like this:
სამყარო - universe
მსოფლიო – world

Although, მსოფლიო only refers to the earth, the globe itself, e.g.:
world map - მსოფლიო რუკა
world war - მსოფლიო ომი
world economic crisis - მსოფლიო ეკონომიკური კრიზისი

While სამყარო, besides "universe", is used to refer to any other meanings of "the world", more abstract, like different spheres of existence, or a complex as an united whole etc. e.g.:

animal world - ცხოველთა სამყარო
the Western world - დასავლური სამყარო
imaginary world - წამოსახვითი სამყარო

Quote:
რუსეთი საქართველოს საბოტაჟში ადანაშაულებს - Who accuses whom in this sentence?

Russia accuses Georgia.

Edited by Murdoc on 24 April 2012 at 2:46am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 186 of 758
24 April 2012 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
I think what I need for my Georgian are simple translation exercises, both the ones from target to source language and the ones from source to target language. I'd be reading and writing Georgian much better if I could do such exercises everyday. At SF200 course there are some of these, all of them have been helpful.

I learned most of my other languages through Assimil and it is a pity there's no Assimil Georgian (méthode,'coz I do own the phrasebook). Assimil doesn't have any plans on releasing its méthode for Géorgien either.

Got hold of Lehrbuch der Georgischen Sprache, without the audio, though.It seems way fairly more comprehensive than Beginner's Georgian. If you can read German, do get it and go to it once you've finished Beginner's. (I can't read German but I'll get along with revising the first lessons and translating words I can't figure out).
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 187 of 758
24 April 2012 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Regarding the need of doing translation exercises, yesterday I browsed through Kekelia's textbook (in Russian) and noticed that, being an old school textbook, there are lots of such exercises. They are very useful for learning vocabulary, even though at the beginning of the book, in phonetics session, there's a lot of less useful vocabulary thrown away as each letter is presented. Once you've overcome this, you get through an useful old-school textbook.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 188 of 758
24 April 2012 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
I just finished reading SF200 Familiarization Course. I must say I'm relieved I'll be able to proceed to a book that would teach me more. The lessons in this book cover extensively the vocabulary on some fields. There are exercises and such, but they are of limited use without the audio. I do recommend using it as a warm-up after Peace Corps and before Beginner's Georgian, or right after finishing the latter. I don't like the vocabulary throw-up, though. All in all, it's been useful but I leave it with the feeling that I need more grammar and more writing.

I'd like to know the impressions from whoever decides to use this resource as well. I'm afraid this SF200 for other languages is quite the same, so I'm much likely to avoid using it later for kazakh, armenian etc.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 189 of 758
25 April 2012 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Im sharing this post about the set of materials in Russian I published at the first page of this log. They might not be necessary because they start at the very basic, even before Kiziria's, and I'm not sure they'd bring one any further than Kiziria's. Even so, it's worth having a look and reviewing them:

Which are the best Georgian books in Russian, in your opinion?

Here are the options (all available):

Самоучитель грузинского языка - Нодар Натадзе
Not bad, though I think lessons and grammar explanations in Russian seem to be rather long.

Грамматика грузинского языка - Руденко Б.Т.
This is a reference grammar. I haven't checked if it has exercises, but it seems to have sample sentences with translation, and I usually learn a lot from these.

Самоучитель Грузинского языка - Кекелиа Ш. М.
Was just browsing through this one. It seems like the old-school textbook. After going through the repetitive, vocabulary throw-up phonetics section, there seem to be good lessons on grammar with sentences, examples and translation exercises.

Грузинский язык: Курс ускоренного изучения - Николаишвили М.С
This one has exercises and audio (which is hard to use because it's not split through lessons). Dialogues are very authentic and useful, but it also has an initial phonetics chapter that adds up vocabulary.

Самоучитель грузинского языка - Цулейскири, В.Г. & Чанишвили, П.Г.
I had actually been studying from this one a few months ago. The problem is that exercises don't make much sense. Besides, they make too much use of unnecessary words just because they are more simpler from an alphabetical point of view (like the word for violet). I don't know, maybe on a second try, as a faux débutant, I might find it easier to work through it.

Самоучитель грузинского языка - Цибахашвили Г.И.
This is regarded as the best one, just don't know how comprehensive it is, either. Not sure the exercises are useful. It has the same problem that you need to skip through a whole set of lessons on phonetics and by doing so you miss vocabulary that you are supposed to learn by rote and about which you'll be demanded on further lessons.

Edited by Expugnator on 25 April 2012 at 12:42am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 190 of 758
25 April 2012 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
book2

Today's lesson is about feelings. The lesson introduces the formation of expressions to talk about feelings, but don't give actual examples:

ჩვენ არ გვაქვს სურვილი. We don't feel like / want to.

Notice the construction with the verb "to have", so it's literally "We don't have the desire...". In Portuguese "Não tenho vontade", in Spanish "no tengo ganas", in French "Je n'ai pas l'envie..."

I suppose the lesson plannned on introducing 'to feel like doing something'. How would you say in Georgian "I don't feel like studying?", "We don't feel like going to the gym?"
==========
დღეს მოწყენილი ვარ. I am bored.
(Is it correct? I don't want to say I'm sad because I'm not =P)

How would I say "I'm thirsty"? 'I'm hungry' is მშია?

Word like შიში, შიმშილი, წყურვილი conjugate according to person. Are they verbs or adjectives? I guess they are verbs.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 191 of 758
25 April 2012 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
Now comes the big time! I'll have to decide which book I'll be using next!

Despite all the struggling, I'm still a faux-débutant, as they would call in Assimil. I've read lessons about verbs rather en passant, so I still don't know how to form the simpler verb conjugations - maybe only the present I class. Due to this, I still can't form that many sentences.

Unlike a couple of months ago, now my problem has inverted: I have lots of options, and I don't want to waste time with a less effective one. I do plan to reach an A2/close to B1 level by the end of the year, I want to listen to songs and understand them, have small talk in Georgian...read cultural newspapers because politics wouldn't concern me right now.

I have the feeling that the best to do would be to keep doing Book2 as I read each lesson from Tschenkeli's book and do its exercises. The exercises in Kiziria's are fairly better than in Aronson's. Even though the book is mopre comprehensive and is in German, I find it easier to follow it than Aronson's.

The natural way would be to resume Hewitt's which I dropped at Lesson 04. By that time I didn't know the phonetic keyboard layout at Google Translator, and, since Hewitt doesn't translate dialogues, looking up words was nightmarish. But now, it's different. I'm more familiarized with grammar terminology, with syntax and I've learned a few more vocabulary as well. When I tried it first, I looked at several words in a sentence and I wouldn't even know which was the noun, the adverb and the verb, so, little chance of making sense of it all (looking up words individually wouldn't work as they were declined or conjugated and I didn't have the grammar for converting them back to their nominatives or verbal nouns).

There's still Lehrbuch der Georgischen Sprache, which is in German, too. It has 33 lessons. The part with answer keys is missing (so is the audio but neither of these books have audio anyway - actually Tschenkeli does, for the exercises), so I'd need help here for the cases I'd rest in doubt, and that could eventually slow down the process. I must say I'm tempted! Also a chance to finally brush up my German to a textbook-wise useful level! When I did that to French, I gained a lot!

I have, like, 20 minutes to make this decision, until I come back from a coffee break =D

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 192 of 758
25 April 2012 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Lehrbuch der Georgischen Sprache =D

I'm up to doing the German, decyphering it, learning to use it for my language learning. If I feel I'm lacking a better understanding due to a limited knowledge of German, then I'll have to change my plans. So far, lesson 01 has been easy, only familiar vocabulary (in Georgian, not in German =D).

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version