Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 17 of 758
19 January 2012 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Tixhiidon!

Now for some book2, lesson 04:

ჩვენ ადამიანებთან ლაპარაკი გვინდა. We want to speak with people.
I guess this is the dative with the posposition -თან. But what verb form is ლაპარაკი?

I finally went through Hewitt's Lesson 02, with so many dates, hours and verbs of motion which I won't need that soon. I hope I won't have to go through this whole lesson again, it's the second time I do so and it's still demotivating. I plan to learn this same stuff from other books now, in the hopes I'll have kept some amount of what I learned here which will make things easier.

That's anotber reason why I'm not doing Kiziria. I tried some lessons once, and, besides being presented to the same amount of vocabulary at once, I also had to live with not having enough grammar explanations and no one to ask about further. So, I intend to resume it once I've had a solid knowledge from Hewitt and other sources, so I can take a fresh start and do better on it. Might sound awkward, but I think that will allow me to face grammar with a solid vocabulary already!

Despite the apparent rant, I'm motivated and I believe the worst times with Georgian (i.e. little or no progress) have passed. I do like studying and understanding (but not memorizing) grammar, but I don't even fear not understanding grammar fully provided that I can learn how to say what I wanted to say, for that way I can still hope grammar internalizes somehow.
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5245 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 18 of 758
19 January 2012 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
ჩვენ ადამიანებთან ლაპარაკი გვინდა. We want to speak with people.
I guess this is the dative with the posposition -თან. But what verb form is ლაპარაკი?

Correct about the dative with თან.
ლაპარაკი is the so-called masdar, or verbal noun. Since there are no infinitives in
Georgian, when you want to use constructions like "want to X", "have to X", "like -ing"
etc., you have two choices, either the optative form, which here would be
ვილაპარაკოთ, or just the verbal noun, i.e. in this case "speaking".

I'm having trouble at the moment knowing which is better in which cases. I have the
impression the optative sounds a bit more formal and stilted, but for some reason find
it much easier to use than the masdar.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 19 of 758
23 January 2012 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
Lesson 06 for Book2. I'm enjoying the method, even though it goes way too slow. There could be more vocabulary for each lesson, maybe 7 words is the ideal number.

Trying to move on with Hewitt. Lesson 03 was more useful. It's a real flaw that dialogues aren't translated proper and only the new vocabulary is given out. Fortunately I learned to type words with Google's phonetic layout. This way I can also improve my vocabulary. I can easily make sense out of case endings, thus I translate just for knowing the roots, since sentence translation at GoogleTrans isn't relieable either.

At Lesson 03 I came across the word for thief, ქურდი. Hope its etimology is not related to geopolitics! Anyone could shed some light over it?

2 persons have voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5039 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 20 of 758
23 January 2012 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
Haha I noticed that too. According to Google translate Kurds are called ქურთები with თ. I don't know where
the word for thief comes from, though. I checked and it's not from Persian or Turkish or something, so I guess
it is just a native Georgian word.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 21 of 758
24 January 2012 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
Hewitt's translation exercises are not helping me much. They are rather long, in a way that doesn't favor developping automatims. I keep doing, for I plan to restart with another book - most likely, Kiziria - later and I believe most of the vocabulary will be reviewed.

Lesson 7 on book2:

ვაგრძელებ თვლას: - I count further:
translated as "I count further", but it seems to be the verb continue plus verbal noun "count" is it so?

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5245 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian

Message 22 of 758
24 January 2012 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
ვაგრძელებ თვლას: - I count further:
translated as "I count further", but it seems to be the verb continue plus verbal noun "count" is it so?

Yes. A better translation would have been "i continue counting".

shawns
Diglot
United States
Joined 5075 days ago

20 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese

Message 23 of 758
25 January 2012 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
I used Hewitt as my initial text for Georgian. I think it was ultimately a hindrance. Much better to use kiziria's
or even aronson's. The Texts in each are better, and I think the grammar explanations are easier the first time
through.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 24 of 758
25 January 2012 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
I've done lesson 8 for book2. No big deal, though I'm still not forcing myself into memorizing dates, numbers and hours.

Now for Hewitt's lesson 04: what was that first dialogue? I'm struggling to understand it. I have to look up for loads of words on baking and cooking. I have understood very little and I'm about to give up. What would be so difficult about giving a translation?

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version