Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 257 of 758
30 May 2012 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
I first though "to wash" was an inversive verb, but then I realized: it's just the aorist working as an imperative. Aorist demands object in nominative and subject in nominative. Since subject isn't usually mentioned in imperatives, all that is left is the object in nominative and the verb in the aorist form.

დროზე ხელები დაიბანე. Time to wash your hands.
ხელები is nominative.

From this I take the conclusion that in imperatives the object is also in nominative.

A) What's the difference between დამელოდე and დამიცადე? Both mean "wait for me".

B) I just forgot, how to form the negative imperative. How would you say "Don't wait for me"?

Today's lesson (18) was close to perfect. A text twice as short, few exercises (I'm not answering them but I read all of them), a down-to-earth, context-oriented vocabulary. I have been through rather long and exhausting dialogues in the previous lesson and this one was a relief. I learned much more from it because it came in the right measure.

This is the same for lesson 19 and 20. Then lesson 21 has a three-pages long dialogue. From lesson 22 to 30 there are short texts, and new dialogues for the last three lessons. I must say the lessons don't teach grammar in a structured way, for there's a grammar reference next. But then if I'm supposed to follow a grammar reference, I'd rather go for a more authentic one, like the ones I already have.

Overall, this Georgian-through-German experience has been quite rewarding.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 258 of 758
31 May 2012 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
A new day has come to its end. Today I was i contact again with the optative. It's still a bit confusing to understand how each of these tenses should appear: subjunctive, conditional, future, perfect, aorist. Sentences introduced now are rather complicated, but it's nice to be introduced to them because the resulting dialogues are quite natural. I find the dialogues at Lehrbuch much more authentic than those at Kiziria's which are also authentic. That means I'm having contact with vivid Georgian, and even though I can't tell one tense from another yet, my understanding has improved. Irregular verbs are still a complete mess because of so different stems that makes us think they're all different verbs (which in fact they might indeed have been prior to current language stage).

I expect everything to be cleared up once I start using Tschenkeli's book, but that will come in time. I'm glad I'm improving my passive understanding of Georgian, that's quite something. I just don't make any more tries on writing because I don't have a reliable, off-hand group of verbal and cases charts, but that might as well happen sooner than expected.

Yesterday I even tried a second lesson from book2 after I was done with Lehrbuch, and it was easy to follow, no doubts. Today I might do the same since it's still early.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 259 of 758
01 June 2012 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
I reread the appendices II and III from Beginner's Georgian and it starts to make much sense now! Unfortunately she only describes the five verbal tenses she deals with. I also reviewed 4th lesson. I should keep reviewing other lessons for the sake of consolidating grammatical forms. Sometimes you have to take one step back then two forth =D .

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 260 of 758
01 June 2012 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
Today I went through some Perfekt and Plusquamperfekt. As far as it seems, they use the dative for the subject and sometimes you may add -თვის for the indirect object for the sake of clarity.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 261 of 758
01 June 2012 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
I like it how the interrogative sentences come in Aorist and the negative ones in the Perfect. When you consider also the different case usages and keep note that the perfect has a preverb, it's much easier not to mistake one tense for another. Even so, I still don't know what would the Perfect correspond to in English..

Edited by Expugnator on 02 June 2012 at 12:12am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 262 of 758
02 June 2012 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
Just like in the past two days, I did one more book2 lesson after I finished Lehrbuch. Now it's only 20 to go! The good news si that those lessons focus on specific verb tenses. There will be 8 lessons on the past tense, and thus I'll be able to contrast imperfect and aorist! Then come lessons with subordinate clauses. Since I'm likely to be able to figure out the grammar myself, I expect to learn a lot from the next 20 lessons! I do recommend them as a pratice.

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5013 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 263 of 758
03 June 2012 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
Quote:
ამ წერილს რომ ბოლომდე წაიკითხავდე, ყველაფერს მიხვდებოდი.

If you read this letter till the end, you would understand everything.

Quote:
1.სავარჯიშოს რომ (დაწერ), კინოში (წავალთ).

When (if) you write the letter, we'll go to the cinema.

Quote:
2.მზია რომ კარგ ნიშანს (მიიღებს), ბედნიერი (იქნება).

When Mzia gets a good grade, she'll be happy.

Quote:
3.კიბეზე რომ (ამოხვალ), გაზეთებს (მოგცემ).

When you come upstairs, I'll give you the newspapers.

Quote:
4.ეს სპექტაკლი რომ ეხლავე დამთავრდეს, არ (იქნება) ცუდი, ისეთი მოსაწყენია.

This play is so boring, it wouldn't be bad if it finished right now.

Quote:
5.ცოტა ხანს რომ (გაჩუმდება), სიმღერას (გავიგებთ).

When he keeps quiet for a bit, we'll hear the song.

Quote:
What does ამბობენ mean? "They say"?

Yes.

Quote:
What does მგონი მივედით კიდეც mean?

Seems, we're actually there (reached the place).

Quote:
შენ არ ამბობდი, წერილს დავწერო. You didn't say I'd write a letter (I assume "I" am a different person and you are reporting what I said, thus -ო).

No it means: You didn't say, you would write a letter.

It could also mean "Didn't you say, you would write a letter?", but it doesn't have question mark at the end.

Quote:
ხომ ვამბობდი, წიგნებს ვერ ვიყიდით-მეთქი. Like I said, we couldn't buy the book.

Was I not saying that we wouldn't be able to buy the book.

Quote:
A) What's the difference between დამელოდე and დამიცადე? Both mean "wait for me".

No difference.

Quote:
B) I just forgot, how to form the negative imperative. How would you say "Don't wait for me"?

არ დამელოდო/დამიცადო.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 264 of 758
04 June 2012 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Murdoc wrote:

Quote:

არ დამელოდო/დამიცადო.

I knew it! From a song I listened to 5 years ago:

არ დამელოდო

Funny how the titles of the songs I collected start to make sense now, five years later!

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version