Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5245 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 313 of 758
29 June 2012 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Ha, yeah, I think they must be trying to save tape space or something. My Georgian
teacher doesn't speak that fast, and neither does any other Georgian I've ever listened
to. Unfortunately I don't know any other sources for Georgian audio with Georgian
transcripts. Maybe you could read and study the transcripts before you listen, so at
least you know what's coming.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 314 of 758
29 June 2012 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
For the time being, I'll be using Nikolaishvili's audio. It's an intensive course, so I might finish it quickly and then I may tackle some grammar or reader (even though Hewitt's grammar does cover a wide range of grammar topics). I won't bother with Nikolaishvili's explanations in Russian, will only focus on understanding the dialogues.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 315 of 758
29 June 2012 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
YAY!! I'm done with both book2 and Lehrbuch der Georgischen Sprache. I must say I haven't taken the most out of Lerhbuch, 1. I didn't have audio 2. I didn't have the answer key 3. I can't read German proper to follow the translations and explanations in German. Still, it proved itself very useful and allowed me to finally tackle new resources with a more significant amount of texts. I'm slowly getting used to the Georgian sentence and I still have some trouble finding out the agent of an action as well as the determiner and determinant within a genitive phrasing.

As for book2, those pills contributed a lot to my vocabulary even if I haven't checked it out so far. I could figure out a bit of the Georgian grammar just by comparing the sentences and their translations.

Now I'm almost finished with deciding which path to follow. I'm inclined to resume Hewitt's book where I stopped (lesson 4) and learn mostly grammar as I acquire vocabulary passively; besides, I'll take one dialogue a day from Nikolaishvili's Intensive Course, for which I only have the Russian translation, thus making the attempt to understand explanations or eventual exercises useless. I'm very motivated now! I think it is gonna be fun.

Oh, and I still have to carry on reviewing Beginner's Georgian. Currently at lesson 05, if iBooks doesn't prove me wrong.

Today is a new day for Georgian studies!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 316 of 758
02 July 2012 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
I just went through the first lesson of Nikolaishvili's and it has a lot of audio! First the dialogue, then some word lists and sample sentences. 5 minutes a lesson. Of course I won't learn the wordlist by rote memorization, but I believe as soon as lessons start to get more complex, I'm gonna have a lot more sample sentences that will help practice my comprehension as well as listening. So far the speed of the recordings is slow, but I hope it gets to natural as I got further on the book.

Now it's time to resume Hewitt's lesson 4 (I won't go back to the first 3 because I think the grammar being taught there is already elementary).

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 317 of 758
03 July 2012 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
i'm really enjoying the lessons from Nikolaishvili's book. I'd take more profit from the book if I knew Russian, so, that means the book in English is highly recommended if you have access to it. I'm having contact with more dialogues and audio, one thing that was missing in my studies since I finished Beginner's Georgian. After the dialogue there are some word lists that are short enough not to make me upset, especially since it's audio so all I have to do is listen to them and translate the ones I still don't know (which tend to increase as I advance).

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 318 of 758
04 July 2012 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
Nikolaishvili's book is still as easy as for allowing me to understand the Georgian dialogues, just looking up some words here and there. I wonder if it will remain this way, because I don't know Russian, even though it's easier to find good Russian-English translations when necessary.

I've just finished Hewitt's (edit: Lesson 05). Grammar explanations are very detailed and demanding, I'm not pushing myself as to understanding all at once but I still think it's being useful. I'm doing a few of the exercises.

Edited by Expugnator on 04 July 2012 at 11:14pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 319 of 758
06 July 2012 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
It's being very nice to listen to those dialogues from Nikolaishvili's book. Today I listened to three dialogues at once, and no vocabulary lists. I could understand most of the text, only resorted to the Russian translation for a few words. It's pure language!

Hewitt's lessons are still throwing so much grammar and vocabulary at once, but I still need it, I'm still a beginner. I only hope that when I'm done I'll be able to proceed to reading newspapers etc. I wouldn't like to read on politics, economy or science sections, i'd rather go for culture or even gossips, as those would bring me the most needed vocabulary. I'm gonna have enough economic vocabulary with the actual Georgian Newspaper Reader textbook.

Anyway, I'm happy with the way my studies are coming along, even though they sometimes don't sound so effective. I'm doing all this for fun, after all. I'm not having much of a chance to actually practice Georgian, so I'm eager about being able to read stuff. Ah, I have yet to read that TED parallel text Georgian/Portuguese which I made from the video subtitles.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 320 of 758
06 July 2012 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Today is my first contact with objective affixes (Hewitt's Lesson 06). I like what I've seen so far! The resulting forms are not that complicated, since some affixes are elided and context has to be reinforced. I think I'll slowly get used to it. I like it how they avoid using both direct and indirect preffixes by using შენს თავს etc. Indirect objects seem nice to follow up in Georgian.

I'm going to take Hewitt's grammar in slow dosis, not worrying about finishing one lesson a day. After all, it's only 20 lessons. He explains topics in depth and this is my 3rd or 4th beginner's textbook so it's time I consolidate my grammar knowledge.

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version