Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 433 of 758
21 September 2012 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
It only gets better! I decided to give Lesson 6's text a try and it was much easier than my experiences with Lehrbuch der Georgischen Sprache and Hewitt's grammar. I'm getting used to Georgian syntax. Now comes lesson 7 with object markers, scary!
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 434 of 758
24 September 2012 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
In the middle of lesson 7. It was bad, but it wasn't THAT bad. I benefited from my previous reading at Hewitt's about direct object and indirect object affixes. I do hope things start to stick as I do the exercises, 'coz I won't have another chance to learn this complicated grammar topic anytime soon. It's still interesting, after all.

ჩემს თავს ბეჯით სტუდენტად ვთვლი!!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 435 of 758
25 September 2012 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
I was relieved to having finished Lesson 7's exercises. I only wrote down a few of those for which I needed to internalize the phrasings sooner. Then I realized there's still a reading passage!! I will leave it for tomorrow, as I have other activities to do.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 436 of 758
25 September 2012 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
I'm done with reading passage for lesson 7. Following Aronson's detailed glossary, there were only two periods where I felt unsure about who was doing what to whom by means and attribute of whom. I think I'm on the right track, just a bit unhappy about reading the very same facts about the Georgian history at every textbook I use =D It's high time I get hold of some news on contemporary Georgia ;)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 437 of 758
26 September 2012 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
Lesson 8 is not a walk in the park! III conjugation, reported speech, derivative declensions, more exercises and a longer reading passage. Anyway. I've just checked lesson 9 in advance and it seems easier, all that for preparing for lesson 10, on the perfect, at which I'll have to pay all the necessary attention, as I still need to understand a lot about its usage.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 438 of 758
27 September 2012 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
I finished the reading from Lesson 8 and the exercises from lesson 9. I'll try to do lesson 9's reading and lesson 10's exercise tomorrow. I didn't write anything down today, I think the sentences didn't contain much of what I consider the main vocabulary. On the other hand, I notice that Georgian texts are full of words like "mean", "represent", "concern", "correspond to" and some others which in simpler texts for beginner could all be replaced by "is" with no loss in meaning. This at one side represents more difficulty, but at the other side means that most of the words I puzzle myself about are just linking words and that overall my vocabulary is growing sufficiently.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 439 of 758
28 September 2012 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
I don't think I might be able to finish lesson 10 today, I want to read it carefully. I just want to say that I'm really happy about the way things are coming along. I'm sure I can't memorize all the irregularities of the Georgian verb but now after studying the Georgian Reading Grammar I'm slowly consolidating my knowledge and becoming more confident about both reading and speaking. I chose the appropriate time to start it and I do recommend that whoever fears being scared away by the amount of knowledge in it chose a similar path to the one I did. Even the readings, though not the most interesting, are much more understandable now. I'm not having to look up every other word and I'm understanding the whole period most of the time. I'm half-way through Aronson's book and I'd like to finish it until the end of the year, as a gift to myself of an accomplishment. I do hope it won't take that much time, though, considering it's taking me about two days for each lesson with no big efforts. I'm eager about starting the Continuing Course as well, then maybe bilingual reading and I'll have to work out on gathering more listening resources that are not for beginners.

As for the Newspaper Reader, it's going on pretty smoothly, and I'm also half-way through it! Right now lessons start to get double-sized, but since the previous lessons consisted merely of a short paragraph, I don't think that will represent any extra difficulty. It's a really valuable resource because it consists of a text with audio, translation, glossary and notes. There's no way you won't figure out how the text was composed!

I'm very confident with my studies and I think that sooner than expected I'll be reaching an intermediate level. The goal I've set for reaching A2 is almost achieved, I believe.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 440 of 758
29 September 2012 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
Lesson 10 is over! I made an exception and studied Georgian even after coming back home
from work. I did the final exercises and the reading passage, which was the easiest so
far. I'm aware that this (on perfect and pluperfect) and the next lesson (on participles)
are the ones I need to pay the highest attention, as those are topics I only came across
once, at Hewitt's grammar, and for which I hadn't been able to make an appropriate
contextualization that would allow me actively learn them. Lesson 11 is also long and has
a longer reading passage, but now I'm having much less trouble than before. The quality
of the book does help.

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version