Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 41 of 758
07 February 2012 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
Ah I'm familiar with those constructions you mentioned Tixhiidon =D We should also include "mi piace", "ça m'ennuie" and some others. Now it's clear that 'need' behaves just like 'have' which I knew from looking up back at Kiziria's. And the verb ending in -a is third person form, not the nominal forms i've spotted earlier.

What I need to work out are the object prefixes. I'm not in a hurry for learning grammar, though, as it's part of the fun. I want to have a solid vocabulary so I can study grammar in depth. If I read a complete linguistical review on Georgian, I'm gonna be like 'the mistery is gone' and won't try so hard on dialogues. Go figure!
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 42 of 758
07 February 2012 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Book2:

ზაფხულში სასეირნოდ მივდივართ.     We like to go for a walk in summer.
What does სასეირნოდ actually mean? Is it optative? Verbal noun? I assume there is no verb 'like' in the Georgian translation either.

Kiziria's 07

თქვენ ბინას აქირავებთ?
It seems აქირავებთ is the same verb to rent, but which tense?

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5250 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 43 of 758
07 February 2012 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
აქირავებთ is the future tense of ქირაობს "rent", which is a Class III verb.

As for სასეირნოდ, it's a kind of adverb, I guess, meaning "in order to" or "for", and formed (I think) by adding
სა and დ respectively to either end of the verbal noun. However, I'm not 100% sure about this... I need to
check Aronson. And yes, there is no verb "like" in the sentence.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 44 of 758
08 February 2012 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
After looking at the preview of Lehrbuch der Georgischen Sprache and searching for Basic Georgian by LINCOM once again, I felt eager for more resources. Soonly, though, I realized that was nonsense and I've decided I'm gonna stick to what I have right now and I will not worry about resources for beginners anymore, especially since I have enough resources on Aronson, Tschenkeli, Continuing Course and a Newspaper Reader to continue as an intermediate learner rightafter.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 45 of 758
08 February 2012 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
book2

ჩვენ სასტუმრო ოთახში მივდივათ.     We are going to the living room.
In Georgia, the living room is actually the "guests' room", right?

Kiziria's 08

a) ინებეთ translates as 'here you are', but how exactly is if formed? Looks like a future tense.

b) I know that დროებით means temporarily, but how is it formed? Just plural, instrumental?

c) I learned about the -iani ending. What's the difference between those two?
შაქრიანი ყავა
შაქრით ყავა

Loads of grammar at today's lesson. If I were Kiziria, I'd have taught only the future at this lesson and write another lesson with vocabulary and situations for teaching the imperfect properly. This way, the imperfect was reduced to a few lines.

===========
Yesterday I had a look at the Georgian Newspaper Reader and it's a very valuable resource. 40 chapters, some with 3-4 texts on wide ranges of Georgian life. All texts have their vocabulary translated AND explained (verbal forms and such) as well as an accurate English translation. I plan to use it as an accompanying source once I'm done with book2 (or maybe earlier, as book2 is supposed to take me 100 days!). I think that by combining extensive grammar from Aronson and a reading knowledge I may end up with a solid Georgian background for doing actual language usage afterwards.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5044 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 46 of 758
08 February 2012 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
I don't think inebet is future tense, I think it's aorist which can also be used to give commands.

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5040 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 47 of 758
09 February 2012 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
In Georgia, the living room is actually the "guests' room", right?

"Living room" is called "სასტუმრო ოთახი" simply because it's where you bring and host your guests when they visit you.

Quote:
ინებეთ

The root word for "ინებეთ" is "ნება" which means "will".
so "ინებეთ" literally translates like: "Have a will."
I don't know about grammatical aspects of it.

Quote:
დროებით

I think it's formed from "დროება" which means "the times".

Quote:
შაქრიანი ყავა
შაქრით ყავა

We usually say "ყავა შაქრით", which basically implies that sugar has been added to the coffee. "შაქრიანი ყავა" is not used much, but If you were to use it, I think it would more describe a coffee that contains sugar with it without the need to add some.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 48 of 758
09 February 2012 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Murdoc, clarified!

===========
book02 18

დღეს ბინას ვალაგებთ.     We are cleaning the apartment today.

მე ვწმენდ აბაზანას.     I am cleaning the bathroom.

What's the difference in meaning between ვალაგებთ and ვწმენდ? They seem to be different verbs translating the English 'to clean'.

ბავშვები საბავშვო ოთახს ალაგებენ.     The children are cleaning up the children's room.
What does საბავშვო mean?

Kiziria's 09

Perhaps the most interesting lesson so far! 4th conjugation is irregular, but it's not that hard to get used to putting subject in dative and object in nominative. Now I feel I'm really speaking Georgian!

Besides, the verbs introduced are all useful ones. So, I think I can express more feelings now. მე ბევრი მეგობარი მყავს! მე მანქანა არა მყავს...

Edited by Expugnator on 09 February 2012 at 9:33pm

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version