Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 497 of 758
05 November 2012 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Things never go as planned during an extended holiday with your family at your hometown. I could only study completely loyal to my schedule on Thursday. The other days, I only studied the Newspaper Reader and no dialogues from ACC. The bad news is that I'm still on dialogue 14, with a chance of finishing it today, even though it's the longest one and consists of lots of toasts.

The good news is that I may finish the Newspaper Reader tomorrow, with only the Post Script (text 41) left. Now I'm faced again with the decision of what to do next. Ideally, I'd do a quick reading through a grammar, one chapter a day. But Kurze Grammatik by Fähnrich is the only one I can think of, and I still don't know enough German. For the very same reason, I'll have to pass the thorough explanations and useful exercises from Tschenkéli. I'm tempted to try one of the two textbooks in Russian for children, because they might not demand much Russian from me as the other books demand German, and they have audio. I haven't listened to Georgian for about one month. Well, now it's time to focus on the dialogue from ACC. Tomorrow I'll know.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 498 of 758
06 November 2012 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Posting here just to say I've finished the Georgian Newspaper Reader. It was a quite valuable resource.

Now I'm at a crossroad again. Options are as follows:

01) I wouldn't start reading a novel now, because I'm going to have enough bilingual texts starting tomorrow in ACC.
02) I do need to review grammar, but I'm not really in the mood for Aronson again. Besides, the grammar section at ACC is more straightfoward and it also has exercises. I'll probably start reading chapters at armazi.com which will give me a broader view combined with lots of sample sentences. This way, I'll be able to tackle Aronson's exceptions better on a second approach, maybe next year.
03) I need to practice writing and chatting but I usually don't commit this or the novel reading to my daily schedule, which consists mainly of textbook study.
04) There's still the book ართული დედასთან ერთად with audio. Even though it may sound elementary, it has audio as well as dialogues and maybe I can do it at a faster pace.

I still have to decide, but it will be either Armazi.com (which I learned to access from work) or the Russian book.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 499 of 758
06 November 2012 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
DISCLAIMER: zecchino, the following video is a SPOILER of what you'll read at the final dialogue at ACC. I've already know this song back in 2007, when I researched Georgian music, and I could recognize it from the text:

Tbiliso

It's over! John will go back to America. Next time I'll have to read actual literature.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 500 of 758
07 November 2012 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
So, I've decided to give "Georgian language with mom" a try.

I've come across the word სალამი more than often. How is it actually used in Georgia? It's much shorter than გამარჯობა, for sure. Is it used equally by orthodoxes and muslims? (Sorry if this has already been asked before at Tixhiidon's log).

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 501 of 758
07 November 2012 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
Ok, approved. It's fairly complete, I'm coming across several unknown expressions. Right now it's all about waking up. The vocabulary gets translated in Russian also in the audio, which can be a bit annoying. I should try not to attempt to learn anything Russian, and I'm succeeding so far, by not being confused by it. Besides, I can always translate what I don't know in Georgian from Russian. Like I said, Google works fairly well for Russian.

So, even though it's graded, cathegorized, it's not a textbook but a thematic phrasebook. At this respect, it's fairly better than book2 and only for that it is already worth its use. I plan to have a good time but not to stay long; one chapter a day is appropriate, even if I obviously can't memorize all at once.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5017 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 502 of 758
07 November 2012 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
I don't think salami has anything to do wtih religion(not the food haha). I've heard people say it on tv (reality
tv, not scripted shows). It seems just more casual than gamarjoba. I'm sure Murdoc can explain it much better
haha. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5223 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 503 of 758
07 November 2012 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
You can also expand სალამი into მოგესალმებით, which they use all the time on my
favourite Georgian TV programme რა სად როდის. My guess would be that სალამი is like
"Hi", გამარჯობა is like "Hello", and მოგესალმებით is along the lines of "Good day to
you kind sir!" (well, maybe not that formal, but you get the idea).

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5013 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 504 of 758
08 November 2012 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
'სალამი' actually is not that informal and it use got nothing to do with religion. It almost seems a bit old-fashioned to me, not that I wouldn't use it though.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version