Diglot
United States
Joined 5076 days ago

20 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Georgian

Message 577 of 758
29 January 2013 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
Rfe/rl has a new iPhone/iPad app that loads their foreign language sites and provides easy access to their
broadcasts in those languages. Georgian is among them, and many of the broadcasts have accompanying
text that, while not a transcript, closely match what is being said. The apps are free, as well.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 578 of 758
29 January 2013 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Thanks shawns! I still find რადიო თავისუფლება's speech too quick for me to understand
anything (not to mention the text itself, which is far behind my level), but it's all
better to have it easily accessible as an app!

Tschenkéli's book is doing wonders to my German. Today I had to look up very few words.
If things keep going this way, I'll end the year having learned two languages in a row!
As for the Georgian itself, needless to say, the explanation on aspects, followed by
examples from the German language itself, cleared all my doubts. I'm really considering
putting up something based on this book. If I had more daily time, I'd write more notes
here. Well, maybe it's something I can just try to do as I read.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 579 of 758
29 January 2013 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Two poets to go!! That is, there are only two poets to be read about at the Poetry
section of ACC. After that I'll take a look at the grammar reference and then proceed to
a book in Russian!! I hope studying from a Russian book will boost my Russian the way it
is doing to my German.

Btw, I think I won't be able to escape reviewing Hewitt's and Aronson's books. I took a
quick look at Hewitt's book, and even at the first lessons there was so much left
unlearned. Grammar explanations still look confusing, it's a matter of didactics and
style, not of previous knowledge. Anyway, I hope that by the time I review those books
I'll be familiar with the essence of the grammar topics and thus will be able to take
care of the exceptions those authors seem to enjoy so much.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 580 of 758
04 February 2013 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
Today I read about how the Georgian aspect behaves similarly to the Russian one =D The main difference is that Russian has an imperfective future form with буду + infinitive, while in Georgian in order to make a durative future you either use the present or a nominal periphrasis:

ხვალ მე ვწერ მთელი დღე წერილებს. = tomorrow I write whole day letters
ხვალ მე მთელი დღე წერილების წერაში ვიქნები. = tomorrow I whole day letters' in-the-writing will-be

You can also use that to bring something more similar to a continuous tense in the present as well:

დღეს მე მთელი დღე წერილების წერაში ვარ. Today I whole day letters' in-the-writing am.

These expressions are used seldom, though; only when you really want to emphasize the durative aspect of the action.

========

As for the ACC, I'm done with the Poetry section! Now comes an important grammar review, with a few exercises. I don't really want to spend that long on it, as I'll keep doing Tschenkéli's and probably review Aronson's and Hewitt's. Once I'm done, I'm proceed to Natadze's book in Russian. Then maybe a billingual novel by Dumbadze, in Russian and Georgian!! I'm dreaming about it, maybe until the end of the year. Anyway, my first billingual readings in Georgian are most likely to be from French writers.

Ah, and I really want to read some news, even if non-billingual (unless someone can recommend me sites where news get published in both Georgian and English, or Georgian and Russian).

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 581 of 758
05 February 2013 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
I've finished reading lesson 10 of Tschenkéli's book, and now am waiting for the exercises. Good thing that my German is getting better, because the context itself is becoming a bit more complex. Today I reinforced that მივალ isn't the future of მივდივარ, because მივალ implies that a specific goal/place is reached; instead, წავალ should be used. OTOH, დავდივიარ has its future listed as either ვივლი or ვიარ, the former being way more used. I can barely recall seing ვივლი, though.

I've started the grammar review at ACC, it's pretty useful! If things go as planned, I won't have to review Aronson, maybe only Hewitt. Then I will try to get my vocabulary from authentic news texts, not from grammar books.
2 persons have voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5040 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 582 of 758
06 February 2013 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
Hi! I haven't done much studying for the past couple days but I am planning to start
doing the 6wc seriously now. I want to finally finish Aronson this week, so we can start
a new book! As for Russian I have school assignments so I have no trouble keeping myself
busy there. :D

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 583 of 758
06 February 2013 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
I just realized there are still 110 pages of grammar reference at ACC. I think it's more or less the same as you doing Aronson. Maybe I don't even have to go back to Aronson after that review at ACC.

The Russian textbook has more sentences for practice than ACC or Aronson, so maybe that's what I need the most now. You will also benefit from it, I believe. So, take your time, just let me know when you can start.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 584 of 758
06 February 2013 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
As people say at their FB profiles in Brazil, "Agora a...coisa ficou séria!!" (replacing a swearword by 'coisa'/thing). Exercises at Tschenkéli have become more important, as they deal with the future (in a grammatical, not a prophetical manner, should I say). So, it is important that I do exercises from German to Georgian so that I can activate my Georgian vocabulary. It will take long, but it is important. It helps that I have the vocabulary of Tschenkéli's book as an anki deck (thanks to whoever created it!).

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version