Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4951 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 657 of 758
16 April 2013 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
I read two more pages on Natadze's book. I'm really taking it slow. I focused on learning the Russian words that kept being repeated over the lesson. I sort of understood the explanation on why the dative can't be mistaken for the genitive, but I'm sure I didn't get all of the explanations.

Maybe later today I will start reading a parallel text in Georgian. I think I'm having just enough of grammar and I need to focus on reading, which is a skill that's falling behind.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4951 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 658 of 758
16 April 2013 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
Just read two more pages at EGS on the II conjugation verbs, and two others were missing in between. Like I said, I'm taking it slow too, also because this lesson is rather long and this is not my favorite subject.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5043 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 659 of 758
17 April 2013 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I'm really taking it slow. I focused on learning the Russian words
that kept being repeated over the lesson.

That's a good idea. I keep finding myself looking up the same words over and over again,
because I recognize them but can't remember what they mean. And it doesn't help that a
lot of them have the same or similar meanings and the same prefixes. So they all kind of
seem the same to me...I am keeping a list of the ones I encounter a lot open while I'm
reading, and it helps a little bit...

Edited by zecchino1991 on 17 April 2013 at 1:17am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4951 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 660 of 758
17 April 2013 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
I commented at this thread how it gets easier to take profit of the reading in a TL you're just starting with when you're already familiar with the subject. Well, this is becoming true for Russian. I could finish Lesson 4 (at last!) much less painfully. I'm getting used to Russian endings and so I'm doing an honest guess from context on the confusing letters. Besides, some words start to stick to mind. I even learned a few Georgian words =D

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5043 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 661 of 758
17 April 2013 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
I also found that it helps that so far I already know the things they are explaining about Georgian grammar, so
i can guess the meaning of words from context quite often.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4951 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 662 of 758
18 April 2013 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
I read the first page of lesson V, on objective preffixes. It's a tricky subject that I haven't met in Tschenkéli's book yet, even if I have a slight idea of it from Hewitt's and Aronson's. I won't read much a day because this time I need to pay attention both to the Russian and to the Georgian. I hope they come with a lot of examples.

By the way, I'm afraid my studied are even less effective than before. Yesterday, long after having read the grammars, I tried reading a magazine with a billingual translation to Portuguese, only to realize that my vocabulary is way too limited to learn in a non-painful way. It's like I can tell 1 word out of 5 in a sentence and have to translate the others individually to tell who is who. I've been studying for 1,25 year and I don't know how I can make further progresses. I don't have a conversational textbook to restart with. I thought this Russian book would help, but currently it's still focusing on grammar. I need sentences, not words, but I still can't take paragraphs yet.

I wonder if I should buy the expensive Basic Georgian just to review the whole grammar thing again and get more dialogues. Or maybe I should review all of my books: Lehrbuch der Georgischen Sprache, Hewitt, Aronson, Nikolaishvili, the Newspaper Reader...From what I could check, it won't be a review of the type "oh I'm so glad everything looks easier now!". On the contrary, for most texts it will be as much like as reading them for the first time. If only I could have a look at Basic Georgian and see if it is what I need...Btw, while googling for it, I realized they're giving a basic class on Georgian at Universidade de São Paulo. I'd never be able to attend it, and it's too basic anyway, but it's great to see people are getting interested in Georgian at the most important Brazilian university! Maybe I should start my own project and send them something. Maybe that's what I should do, start working on it instead of studying for a while.

I was having a good time text-chatting in Georgian, but then it ceased and now I know I can talk a bit but am nowhere near being able to read. Right now I don't know how to achieve the basic vocabulary that would allow me to, and I wouldn't feel like doing it by rote.

The main point is that studying Georgian is bringing me no fun right now. On the contrary, it's bringing upon a lot of stress. All I want is to be able to progress with sentences and little texts on a graded way, but as this material doesn't exist in Georgian, I keep struggling with little results. Right now I'm on a valley of demotivation. Georgian is my most dreadful language, it's no longer Chinese.

zecchino, there are other options on textbooks on Russian. Actually the best one is the one by Nikolaishvili which I've already been through. Do you feel like changing or is the grammar at Natadze suitable for you atm? Don't worry about me now.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5043 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 

Message 663 of 758
18 April 2013 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Well I haven't started lesson 5 yet so I don't know, but honestly ever since I started this book it hasn't even
occurred to me to use it for learning Georgian. I see it as a way to learn Russian, but maybe that will change
as it progresses to more complex topics. So far the Georgian grammar is old news to me.

I feel the same way about textbooks right now. I think I've had enough of them and I want to try something
else for a while. Although, I will continue to use the ones I am already using. I haven't tried reading nearly as
much as you have, so I think I will do that for a while. After all, that is how I learned Hebrew: all reading native
material and absolutely no textbooks whatsoever. For a while I didn't even have a dictionary and just googled
all the words I needed to look up, so I think I will be able to manage in Georgian. Although so far it's been a
pain in the ass to read in Georgian, you're right. But it was a pain in the ass in Hebrew too, and now it's not
so bad (but keep in mind it's taken me about 3-4 years to get where I am in Hebrew)! And in fact, I almost
never read grammar textbooks to learn languages, I just do it for Georgian because resources are relatively
hard to come by.

Edited by zecchino1991 on 18 April 2013 at 7:39pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4951 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 664 of 758
18 April 2013 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
I see. Maybe the problem is also WHAT I read, given the fact that there are so many alien words in Georgian. Le Petit Prince isn't exactly for children, it's rather complex. Maybe I should try something even less complex and with basic vocabulary. With the money i'd spend on Basic Georgian I can buy hundreds of children books, but maybe that's still not the point.

Going to make a second attempt at the material I read yesterday and see if it gets any useful. If not, I will try the stories I got translations for at Contemporary Georgian Fiction. There's also the TED subtitles, dialogues are easier than texts after all. Did I tell you about that? You may read the subtitles of the TED lectures in variety of languages (I wish there was dubbing, too).

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version