Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 705 of 758
22 May 2013 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
I have to say that italki.com has the most thriving Georgian-learning scene so far. You can write there and expect your paragraph to be corrected, much more so than at lang-8. There is a learner who writes almost everyday. Go ahead you too, zecchino1991!!

Today's study was not that much complicated at neither of the textbooks. As for the magazine, I'm getting a little sick of it and I would like to try a real book next, no matter how long it takes, 2 paragraphs a day, whatever. I just need to learn.

And I miss dialogues. So much. I don't know where to get sources for that. My novels don't have those many dialogues. There is that resource in Turkish and Azeri but it has no transcripts. Maybe we could try transcribing them? (I can't access them from work anyway).
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 706 of 758
24 May 2013 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
Finished lesson X on Natadze. I'm really overlooking those explanations on cases, as they won't add much on what I had got from previous resources.

I can only open the ICE.GE dialogues at home, desktop. So, I forgot to start downloading them so I can at least play them elsewhere.

As for EDS, I finished the explanations on lesso 30 and will proceed to the exercises. I can't believe I've done 5/8 of this book which seemed impossible at first. It's been helping me so much and I feel more and more confident for trying actual native materials, even if it still takes me so much to translate every other word when I do.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5040 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 707 of 758
24 May 2013 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator, სად მუშაობ?

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 708 of 758
24 May 2013 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
სახელმწიფო მოსამსახურე ვარ :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 709 of 758
27 May 2013 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
I own two phrasebooks for Georgian that come with literal, word-by-word translations besides the proper, contextual ones. These are Le georgien de poche by Assimil and Georgisch wort für wort by Kaudewelsch. Now I wonder how much I could benefit from reading those phrasebooks top to bottom, given that I'm already more or less familiar with tourist talk.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 710 of 758
30 May 2013 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
I have been studying Georgian earlier in the day and therefore have not posted during
the past days. There are some news, though.

I'm done with the magazine I was reading in Georgian/Papiamentu. It helped a lot to
start speeding up my reading and making my fear of reading Georgian go away. I just
don't want to go back to the magazine's subject again. Now I have to find what to read
next, but I'm kinda tempted to start an actual book, even if it takes loads of time.
I'm learning a lot from my first book in Norwegian even at the rhythm of 3 pages a day,
and I think it could do great for my Georgian too, even at 3 paragraphs a day. I'm
getting used to removing poly-personal affixes in order to find a verbal form that
Google can translate, so I'm deciphering the Georgian text much faster. I'm considering
Lord of the Flies because it has lots of dialogues, that's what I need now!

Remember the online course in Armenian and Azeri?! So, I started it. Lesson 8 now. It's
my first attempt on a monolingual resource. So far, only lesson 7 actually brought
information other than phonetics. The course has its drawbacks: the dialogues are not
transcribed, so it's both a monolingual and an audio course! I do need dialogues, so
i'll try to pick up what I can and resort to the grammar and exercises' samples in
order to spot the new words. As for the technical aspects, the videos and audios are
embedded and they don't always show up properly, sometimes they just go "invisible".
I've figured out FF works better than Chrome.

I was considering dropping Natadze's course, but today I had the lesson on prepositions
and that allowed the author to come up with more meaningful exercises, loads of
sentences. If things keep this way I will continue, 'coz that's what I need. Having
done 76 out of 305 pages is quite an accomplishment, considering my limited level of
Russian. It isn't helping that much with Russian yet, though, and when I realize i'm
familiar with the grammar topic I just skip whole paragraphs, as it happened with the
lessons on cases.

All in all, in the past days after having added up the online course I realized I'm
hitting really hard on Georgian the way i've been doing with Papiamentu. Hope it starts
to pay off as it did with the latter, and I'm confident it will, because somehow I
start to have a feeling for the language, I have the impression that I'll start looking
up less and less words. I have to organize myself to come up with interesting topics to
write on italki too, given the recent Georgian boom =D

I don't remember which goal I had set for Georgian, but basic reading with a dictionary
would be ok. I start to get confident about that, even though June is almost there.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 711 of 758
03 June 2013 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Today I did one more lesson from ice.ge , lesson 10!! I had trouble picking up some words at the dialogue, evne though the conversations are still elementary. Luckily I could get them the second time, because they weren't present elsewhere in the lesson or in the exercises. Still, the monolingual course is very good, comprehensive, conversational and has brought me a new motivation. To think it's about 100 lessons that cover up to B1 level! I have less than 100 workdays until December, but if I manage to accomplish nearly all of them I'll be unbelievably close to B1 Georgian! That's quite what I've been expecting.

At Natadze's I read another page on prepositions and tomorrow I will study a page with prepositions I haven't seen before! Maybe they are archaic? I may discuss them later. At EDS I read a bit more on objective affixes. I'm taking it slow on this in rder to assure I have a proper understanding of a subject (actually an object :P) before moving on. I really don't want to miss the chance of the great explanations at EDS.

I don't know if I am going to have time to start with Lord of the Flies today, but I'm really excited about this. If things end up this way, I'll have dialogue/listening/conversational then grammar then reading/vocabulary achieving all throughout the day!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 712 of 758
04 June 2013 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
Well, it got hard. At the 11th lesson I couldn't understand the first dialogue fully. I had trouble with one or two verbs in the text I couldn't find the translation for, even after removing the preverb and objective affixes. Unfortunately, the text isn't translated into Azeri or Armenian, just like the dialogue isn't transcribed, so I don't have a second chance. The grammar itself is no less confusing than the one in Russian from Natadze's, so, I believe that as it delves into more complicated subjects I'll have to skip it. Still, it's great to listen to Georgian again. I just have to decide whether I can keep all 3 resources or will have to drop one of them, or maybe alternate one day Ice.ge and the other one EGS.

I believe the only thing not working properly in other platforms are the dialogues. So, I might download all the audio previously and store it on iTunes and on my flash driver so I can study from wherever I am. Today, for example, I couldn't study from home and I downloaded the audio, it worked. I'll see if I can find time to download the audio on advance.

On a site note, Google Translator is indeed improving for Georgian. And since I can copy-paste, it's being very useful for following the course.

That was the sentence:

- აი ეს ლამაზი ბავშვი, იქ დგას, მომესალმა და ვერ ვიცანი!
- Here is this beautiful child, standing there, momesalma?? and I couldn't recognize (her).

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version