Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 745 of 758
27 September 2013 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
Georgian is neither dead nor forgotten, even though it is the language that is falling
behind again. At current speed my Russian will surpass my Georgian next year, even
though I started Georgian 10 months earlier. The good news is that I'm starting to get
the hang of some paragraphs I read at Lord of the Flies. The bad news is that there's
so much to figure out in terms of verbal forms from the final chapters at EGS! Since
I'm not reviewing it anytime soon, I hope my "second wave" for Aronson, that will
happen maybe in early 2014, will sort things out. As for the online course, I'm
currently at lesson 80. I'm doing average: not retaining most of the vocabulary, but
getting more used to the Georgian sentence. I could be doing better with reading if I
focused on it a bit more intensively, but the texts are usually quite long. As for the
film Trip To Karabakh, I don't think it's helping that much, mostly because the sound
quality is low. I need to find a slot in my schedule to start reading the news, I have
the feeling that it's what I need the most now, so that I can consolidate
grammar.There's the chrestomathy for EGS coming up there, but I sense it will be almost
as troublesome as the one from A Continuing Course, with the aggravation that the
translation is in Georgian!

Well, I don't really know what to expect for the final months in 2013 regarding my
Georgian. I hope to be positively surprised but I'm still a bit unsure whether I'm on
the right track. Will keep going tho, one of the things that keeps me motivated is that
I have a new book to start over from once I finish either the online course or EGS.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 746 of 758
02 October 2013 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
So, I've started Chrestomathie at EGS. The good news is that it is more down-to-earth
with actual useful texts, short stories. They remind me of Assimil lessons from the
50's, which isn't a coincidence since the book also belongs to that time-frame. The bad
news is that I've got 63 texts to read, which will take the rest of the year of I
progress by reading 1 text a day. So, I'm going to try 2 texts a day as long as I can,
even though I must bear in mind that soon I won't be able to finish one text each day,
as they only get longer. This means my plans for changing resource will have to be
postponed. Anyway, at least I'm getting good material while I don't have the reader I
plan to. As for ice.ge lessons, they are becoming easier somehow. I could never say
enough how much the improvement of Google Translator was important for my Georgian this
year. It could all have been much easier with Hewitt's book, had I a way for just
translating the dialogues and learning from them. The most important thing is to keep
going as my Georgian is finally going somewhere now.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 747 of 758
09 October 2013 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
The Chrestomathie still consists mostly of short stories, so I'm managing to keep the
ratio of 2 stories a day. That means 51 stories are left, but in fact they consist of
100 pages. Since I'm reading 1 page a day, that means soon stories will get 2x as big.

I've finished watching Trip to Karabagh. The last trip was the nicest one language-
wise, I could also see a bit of Tbilisi. Now I may start a TV series, even without
subtitles. I do hope I can benefit from it.

The ice.ge course is really coming to an end, lesson 87 now. I never thought I could go
through it in a profitable way, but lessons only seem to get easier and it takes me
less time each day to finish them.

As for the book Lord of the Flies, it's no secret that I'm crazy about finishing it and
starting a new one, but at least now I'm enjoying the story a bit more. Sometimes I
read 1 1/2 page a day. It helps that now I read 1 paragraph in Georgian then the
English translation. I know it is not ideal for actually learning the language, but at
least I can keep up with the story, which was much more difficult when I used to read
one sentence at each language.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 748 of 758
10 October 2013 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
I started watching the series entirely in Georgian, no subtitles at all! Understand
almost nothing. I'll keep watching it 'coz that's what I have for now, and hope it
improves.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 749 of 758
15 October 2013 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
So, the first and second days of ჩემი ცოლის დაქალები were a shock. I couldn't
understand much and it demanded a lot of effort to concentrate. Yesterday it started to
become a little more interesting. I can grasp some key words just enough to have an
idea of what is happening (combined with the video, of course). Nevertheless,
considering its length I decided to take it to background listening, that is, ჩემი
ცოლის დაქალები will be playing while I study other things, and I will occasionally get
back to it in order to know what is going on. I am still confident, it is a lot of
episodes and considering my progress with Chinese series I will soon be making more
sense out of it.

As for the Chrestomathie, I can still make it to 2 texts a day, though it starts to get
tiresome. Fortunately I'm going to finish ice.ge , then I will have a free slot. Still
don't know what to do next, probably that self-teaching book in English I mentioned
before.

What I really need is daily life vocabulary. If only I could get the subtitles for ჩემი
ცოლის დაქალები...A solution would be to find a text which would be rich in dialogues
and deal with the same environment as ჩემი ცოლის დაქალები, that is, contemporary
Georgia, and with a light, humored flavor.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 750 of 758
22 October 2013 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
I've realized that it's unfair to keep ჩემი ცოლის დაქალები to background listening. I can
grasp a little from context, especially when dialogues contain expressions and words I'm
familiar with, like introducting oneself, apologising etc. I just seem to hear so many
unknown verbal forms! Will keep working on it, even though I still need badly a book that
has plenty of dialogues in an urban environment. The book I'm currently reading, Lord of
the Flies, just won't do the job, as it deals with kids on an island. I may finish it by
the end of the year and then I'll have to be very strict about what I'm going to read.
Maybe one American 2000's best-seller about life in New York or L.A. or San Francisco
which happens to be translated into Georgian?

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 751 of 758
25 October 2013 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Well, I was recommended Zaza Burchuladze and Aka Morchiladze, but they are still far
beyond my level! I better speed up with my current, not so pleasant reading, then with
my next one and then try some texts I already got translations for.

The Chrestomathie at EGS is proving to be a challenge. The vocabulary is vast and
related to fables and rural life. I'm not benefiting much from the verbs either. OTOH,
the contemporary descriptive texts at ice.ge start to get a bit easier. I'm going to
finish it on Monday, then I'll know which topics to focus on as I start my next
textbook. And now I feel like buying Basic Georgian again! Better try the book I
mentioned previously and only then evaluate my level again. I think I should practice
some output too, now that I have some contacts and i'm getting corrections at italki...

What about trying to write sample dialogues?!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 752 of 758
29 October 2013 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
So, today I took the first lesson from the book "Kraveishvili, M. & Nakhutsrishvili, G.
(1972), Teach Yourself Georgian for English Speaking Georgians, Tbilisi: The Georgian
Society for Cultural Relations with Compatriots Abroad"! I think it is going to be
pretty much helpful for filling in the gaps with both vocabulary and grammar. Besides,
it is a relief not to have to translate everything or listen to audio files without a
script, not to mention that lessons got shorter. I was referring to the course from
ice.GE, which had these features but which I still highly recommend. It is indeed very
complete through its 100 lessons on a wide variety of topics. If I had memorized
everything I'd surely be at a B2 level, at least when it comes to vocabulary. As this
is not the case, I'll keep working hard to make my low B1 seem more presentable.

The new textbook and the time gained also represented a relief for me to work on the
Chrestomathie at EGS. Now I'm definitively on a 1 text a day (till texts get even
longer and I may have to split them up). I've realized it is really important to read
at least the nouns' vocabulary beforehand because it also gives good insight on what
the text is about.

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version