758 messages over 95 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 ... 94 95 Next >>
liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6015 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 161 of 758
16 April 2012 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Hey Expugnator...

I know, I also put this on TixiiDon's log too so if you have seen this disregard! :-)

I was trying to decide on a language to tackle for the next 6 week challenge in May. I was thinking of learning
something totally different than what I've attempted in the past. Something totally out of the box so to speak.    I
was thinking of Armenian or Georgian. Now I am committing to Georgian.   Why on earth would I want to learn
this obscure language of some 4 million people 1/2 way around the world from me?!   

The script, obviously is a huge draw; it is absolutely beautiful. I have always wanted to go to Georgia and while it
doesn't appear that I will get there anytime soon, it seems that I can live vicariously through Georgian internet
TV. ;-) The learning materials for Georgian seem to be much, much better than the materials for Armenian
(which are oddly non-existent!). But the really cool thing about Georgian is that there seem to be a handful of
you here that are absolutely passionate for it! It is like an exclusive, secret club that you have going on here! It
seems challenging , but fun.

So my question is, if you were starting from scratch all over again, how would you do it?
My rough plan is
1. learn the alphabet
2. learn the alphabet
3. learn the alphabet
4. One lesson of the book2 program a day & try to commit to memory
5. The DLI 200 Hour Fam. Course. I just ordered it from the e-bay guy. It seems like a good introduction.
Once I have gotten through this, I'll attack ...
6. Aronson's book. It seems like this is a little more advanced and comprehensive than the DLI intro.

Beginner's Georgian? Any thoughts?
Thanks guys!
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 162 of 758
16 April 2012 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
I'll tell you about my experience and Tixhiidon's will answer about his, this way the resulting advice will be richer =D

I've had Beginner's Georgian since two years ago, but Georgian isn't the sort of language you can go to bed with doubts. It's a good textbook, but not having a native or advanced learner to assist would get you stuck. That's why I only decided to study Georgian after having met Tixhiidon and Murdoc here.

You know the site langintro.com ? If they could come up with a similar stuff for Georgian, that would work very well. That's the same approach you should do for Georgian. Start with international words, cognates, personal names and sooner than expected you'll end up seeing yourself familiarized with the alphabet.

I disagree with Georgian having better materials. Armenian has Assimil with audio, plus a 700-pages grammar plus the excellent birthrightarmenia.org multimedia course and much more. Georgian has yet to come up with grammar in a friendly way. Even so, Georgian is not indo-european and is much more interesting to me =D

I do the book2 lesson approach too, but it should be combined with actual conversation, grammar explanations. Then I recommend you start with Beginner's Georgian. The SF 200 Familiarization Course is not keen on explaining grammar and it overloads you with thematic vocabulary which I find specially difficulty to memorize.

Aronson's book is comprehensive about grammar but the exercises are not much functional, I do recommend starting with Kiziria instead. Then depending on where you situate your difficulties (vocabulary or conversation or grammar) you can choose your next step.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 163 of 758
16 April 2012 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
I recommend checking Georgian Language, Georgian Grammar and Georgian verb paradigm articles on Wikipedia! I think they will give us an overall on grammar that will help contextualize detailed explanations in other books. Will give them a try later and tell whether they've helped or not.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 164 of 758
16 April 2012 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
liddytime, forgot to mention the quick 28-pages Peace Corps course, it comes with audio and could work as a start.

I wonder why Peace Corps wouldn't make a comprehensive course in Georgian as there is for even smaller languages out there.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6015 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 165 of 758
17 April 2012 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
Otimo!! Obrigado pelos links! Eu procurarè os livros!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 166 of 758
17 April 2012 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
So, back to my studies. I'm glad to announce I got hold of the lessons for Lehrbuch der Georgischen Sprache. Grammar is incomplete, so is the glossary, but the lessons are there. Audio is missing too, but I think I can make a good use of it. I won't bother that much with the explanations in German, just use the dialogues to practice Georgian.

Until that day comes, i'll stay with book2:

გინდა საცურაოდ წავიდეთ? Do you feel like swimming?
I think it rather means "you want to go to swim" or something like that.

ახლა წყლიდან ამოვალ.
I am getting out of the water now.

Which tense is ამოვალ?

SF200 Lesson 13

მე მინდა მოვხვდე ბიბლიოთეკაში. I want to go to the library.
Which tense is მოვხვდე?

This lesson ended up with no written exercises. I won't complain =D

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6015 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 

Message 167 of 758
17 April 2012 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
Hi Expugnator.
Just dropping in to say hello and wish you luck in your studies. We now have four Georgian logs up and
running on the site, which is fantastic. Looking forward to reading about your studies.

Make it 5!

I hope to get my log up and running today or tomorrow!! :-)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 168 of 758
18 April 2012 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Not only we are serious about learning Georgian, but the Georgian logs are also among the most active ones!

I just had a look at Georgian: A Structural Reference Grammar. It is very detailed, with sample sentences. It is written in a linguistical way, also for detailing parts of speech. I don't know how it compares to Tschenkeli's Einführung in die Georgische Sprache, but it does seem more extensive than Aronson's, which doesn't mean it is more useful because it is not a self-study book, just a grammar reference. All in all, I don't think it's worth all the money it claims for, which seems to be just a pricing strategy for earning more with books that are (supposedly) likely to be bought only by universities' libraries.

This discussion contains 758 messages over 95 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version